2009 YZ 450 fuel leak

2 replies to this topic
  • patriot21

Posted April 24, 2009 - 07:16 AM

My bro in law and I were at the track last night .... and As i was following him i noticed a lot of fuel leaking out of the tubes underneath the bike.
He was going through a half a tank a fuel in just a few laps...
Assuming its a carb problem but any ideas of what it could be...
float bowl stuck???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted April 24, 2009 - 07:46 AM

My bro in law and I were at the track last night .... and As i was following him i noticed a lot of fuel leaking out of the tubes underneath the bike.
He was going through a half a tank a fuel in just a few laps...
Assuming its a carb problem but any ideas of what it could be...
float bowl stuck???

I will bet money that it is the float needle. Tons of people have this problem because the needle has a rubber tip and once it gets grooved, the fuel will overflow. Easy fix. The part is not very expensive and is easy to install. All you have to do is pull the bowl and float pin. When the float comes out, so will the needle, replace and your golden.

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2009 - 08:18 AM

There's no reason whatsoever that the needle on an '09 should need replacement already unless you've been using a lot of methanol or nitro in your tank. Much more likely that it's just dirt. You can try a shortcut; remove the bottom bowl plug and turn the gas on for a few seconds. That's sometimes all it takes to wash away the offending debris.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.