Pilot Jet

6 replies to this topic
  • JackAttack

Posted March 04, 2003 - 10:57 AM

The part # I have for the 68 pilot jet is 99105-MBN-0680.

Does anybody have the # for the 68s pilot jet?

My Honda dealer has no idea what I'm talking about.

I just bought a 2003 BRP :) and will be uncorking it this weekend.(E-pipe)

• qadsan

Posted March 04, 2003 - 03:20 PM

The 68s is Honda PN# 99105-MBN-0680. I believe it shows up in the order system that way, but it will get you a 68s. You're not the first person to ask this same question where the dealer had no idea what you were talking about :). Make sure to also get the non-EPA manifold or plan to cut your manifold's restrictor out. Don't forget to also remove the airbox restrictors. Make sure you do the uncorking all at once cause just doing part of it doesn't make the bike run very well.

• XR954

Posted March 04, 2003 - 07:51 PM

Hello Yorba Linda Man! If I was to do this myself, where is this pilot jet located at? Bottom of the Carb? Also, how do you adjust the needle? I was able to re-jet, airbox and do the manifold but haven't done the last two. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Reuben

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR/CRDave

Posted March 04, 2003 - 08:20 PM

What is the diff. between a 68s and 68 pilot? Does one perform better than the other on the 650's? My pilot says 68 on the side.

• JackAttack

Posted March 05, 2003 - 07:17 AM

Qadsan,
Thanks for the info. I have not looked inside the manifold yet, what tools would you suggest I use to open(cut) it with and is cutting it going to have the same size flow as buying the aftermarket.

I ride in Arizona, elevation 600 to 1200ft, with temperature range of 30 to 130 degrees(low 70s right now), I plan on starting with a 175 main, 68s pilot, needle in the 4th position, does this sound OK.

I can't wait to open this thing up a little. I have been riding it slowly through its first tank of fuel. The bike seems to have a lot of mechanical rattles, I think it is normal and that I can hear them because this bike is so quite!

It seems to handle the tight stuff well, contrary to some opinions, I guess you just have to put the right man in the seat :)

• qadsan

Posted March 05, 2003 - 09:07 AM

From XR954 - If I was to do this myself, where is this pilot jet located at? Bottom of the Carb? Also, how do you adjust the needle?

Reuben, sign up for a free account at www.partsfish.com They provide free online viewing of microfiche for most bikes including the XR650R and you can see an exploded view of the entire carb to get a better idea of where the pilot jet is. The top of the needle has 5 slots in which the circlip can be installed and the needle's position concerning rich/lean adjustment is relative to which slot the circlip is installed. Check out www.xr650r.net and click on the link on the left that says "Making the XR650R run right" for details.

From XR/CRDave - What is the diff. between a 68s and 68 pilot? Does one perform better than the other on the 650's? My pilot says 68 on the side

The 68S pilot jet has smaller holes on the emulsion tube and the bike does seem run better with this pilot jet according to many folks. There have also been plenty of people who have had their coolant boil over during slow trail rides or extended periods of idling that believe the 68S pilot jet helped to minize this problem. If you're a member of the Yahoo XR650R group, you can see a picture of the 68 & 68S side by side at this link...
http://autos.groups....es/68pilots.jpg

From JackAttack - I have not looked inside the manifold yet, what tools would you suggest I use to open(cut) it with and is cutting it going to have the same size flow as buying the aftermarket...I plan on starting with a 175 main, 68s pilot, needle in the 4th position, does this sound OK...The bike seems to have a lot of mechanical rattles...

You can simply use a new razor blade to cut the restrictor out of the manifold. It's easy to do, but its also an inexpensive part to buy ($10) if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself. Your jetting of a 175 main, 68s pilot and the stock needle in the 4th position is a very good starting point for 600-1200ft. If you later went with the B53E needle & seat, then you'd want to have the needle in the middle (3rd) position as a starting point. You may also want to try 172 main jet at some point to see how it compares with the 175. Don't forget to remove both restrictors in the airbox. If you've installed an aluminum skid plate, then you'll hear quite a bit more engine noise than with the stock skid plate. You can minimize some of this extra engine noise by installing high temperature foam between your skid plate and engine or have your skid plate coated with a truck bed liner product, etc.

• XR954

Posted March 05, 2003 - 05:21 PM

Thank You Gadsan!! I signed up and that site is full of INFO. It looks like I can replace the Pilot Jet myself but would probably have to play around with the Needle to set it to #4 or #3 to whatever the site says. Thanks for the Info again. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.