excel rims suck

8 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 15, 2001 - 10:57 PM

i am havre a really bad run with excel rims ! i have n't had so many flat tryes and flat spots in my rims ....... I keep the spokes adjusted and run 16 psi but still a flat tyre can bugger a good after noons riding

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 16, 2001 - 03:42 AM

No problems with mine. I run around 18 psi.

• jj

Posted February 16, 2001 - 08:32 AM

I'm having absolutely no success keeping my rear spokes tight.

I'm half tempted to use some Honda lock 1...

I'm starting not to trust the fact that my rim is staight but I'm hesitant to spend $70 buck to get it trued. I guess I'll keep tweaking each one by hand until something falls apart :)

JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted February 16, 2001 - 08:50 AM

Me too.

Just installed a new rear tire last night and noticed one spoke almost falling out, it was so loose. And I check them suckers after every ride!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 16, 2001 - 09:41 AM

I think the key is NOT to keep adding tension but maintaning it. All I do is try and keep them the same. Not too tight or reefed, but snug and even. Kind of vague info but it's all I got.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted February 16, 2001 - 10:10 PM

I agree, don't add tension. Every now and then only one spoke will become very loose, while the others are fine. Kind of odd.

• Leroy_Shook_4_stroke_A

Posted February 16, 2001 - 11:13 AM

I went through several rear Excel rims on my Huskys. Thank goodness Buchannons (sp?) out in CA can drill and relace and so on because there are never any Husky rims in the USA.

• fastkevin

Posted February 16, 2001 - 08:37 PM

Speaking of Husky rims; It seems like when you call a supplier and ask for Husqvarna parts, they damn near slam the phone down on you. Like they could lose their resale license or something for selling Husky parts.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 17, 2001 - 01:46 PM

Now I get it! Yamaha gave me spoke wrenches with my bike when I bought it !!!!!
Dennis :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.