Honda cr500-engine in my cr250

11 replies to this topic
  • Matzioni

Posted April 23, 2009 - 12:22 PM

I have a Honda cr250 -99 and I want to put in an cr500 engine from -87, is this operation possible and will the engine fit in to the frame?

Is this a good idea?

• Hellbear

Posted April 23, 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hell yeah it's a good idea and with a little massaging it will fit good. :banghead:

Check out www.bannedcr500riders.com There is a bunch of people there that built there own.

• john484

Posted April 23, 2009 - 01:42 PM

[quote name='Hellbear']Hell yeah it's a good idea

I love that answer and I agree wholeheartedly.

• Kyron

Posted April 23, 2009 - 02:27 PM

If this is such a good idea why didnt Honda make the bike like that.....

:banghead:

• cryzrider

Posted April 23, 2009 - 06:49 PM

Actually the first generation alloy frame is the easiest to swap. I'm going with the 4th gen as in an 04 CRF250 frame bred to an 87 CR500 mill. I also have a sweet 98 CR500 that I ride every weekend. They're the ultimate motor as you can lug them to almost zero rpm, yet they'll pull till your eyes water.:banghead:
Craigus

• Eddie8v

Posted April 23, 2009 - 08:36 PM

You mean like the ones Honda has been making for years and still sells today, now CRF-based since they stopped making the CR-based versions in 2005?

Best idea, ever. Those and women.

http://www.serviceho.../afgallery.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Britincali

Posted April 23, 2009 - 09:02 PM

In my garage you will find a 1997 cr250 with an 87 500 motor....

• marv02

Posted April 23, 2009 - 09:07 PM

I should have my CRF450X Gen 4 framed CR500 motor conversion done soon I post some pictures of it once I get done with it I thinking about 2 more weeks I be ready to ride.

Oh yea this bike can be street legal it's the X frame.

Just to let you know 1990 and up CR500 motors bolt in much easyer than the older ones they need the swingarm bushing removed a custom one made for it the bolt hole fro the swingarm bolt are 1 mm to small.

Most of the conversions you have to cut the frames and reweld them to get the CR500 to fit Specail pipes ECT it can start costing some cash to do one right I up to $4700.00 thats completly going though the motor also it will be a new bike from the ground up compaired to service honda that starts at $9000.00 Plus tax and shipping up from there.

try www.cr500riders.com and www.banndecr500riders.com

I learned a lot from them about doing my conversion.

[quote name='john484'][quote name='Hellbear']Hell yeah it's a good idea

I love that answer and I agree wholeheartedly.[/QUOTE]

• HrcRacing

Posted April 23, 2009 - 10:01 PM

On one of the 500 sites there was a PDF showing how to convert the '97-'99 Gen 1 frame. If you can't find it, email me at hrcracing@bellsouth.net and I'll forward it to you.

Best of luck and, yes, it's a good idea. :banghead:

:banghead:

My guess would be that since the American market is their largest and since the US 500 MX Nationals ended after the 1993 series, they had no interest in developing a 500cc powered aluminum framed bike in 1997 on.

"Race it on Sunday, sell it on Monday" doesn't hold up when there's no where to race it on Sunday.

• Matzioni

Posted April 24, 2009 - 02:21 PM

Actually the first generation alloy frame is the easiest to swap. I'm going with the 4th gen as in an 04 CRF250 frame bred to an 87 CR500 mill. I also have a sweet 98 CR500 that I ride every weekend. They're the ultimate motor as you can lug them to almost zero rpm, yet they'll pull till your eyes water.:banghead:
Craigus

So it doesn´t really matter that the engine is that old and not as developed as the one in my bike? It doesn´t have an exhaust port and it is 12 years between them, isn´t that much?

• jbird710

Posted April 24, 2009 - 05:04 PM

So it doesn´t really matter that the engine is that old and not as developed as the one in my bike? It doesn´t have an exhaust port and it is 12 years between them, isn´t that much?

If you're referring to the power valve on the exhaust, Honda never put one on a production CR500 no matter what year you choose. As Marv said, the rear engine mount the swingarm shaft goes through on the '87 is a bit smaller and will have to be bored to accommodate the CR250 shaft. Even though it's an older motor, the '87 packs plenty of punch and will make you very happy. :banghead:

• pvmmag

Posted April 22, 2012 - 02:03 AM

In my garage you will find a 1997 cr250 with an 87 500 motor....

Hi I'm from the Uk.I have 4 cr500s.2 86's,a 91 on the road and a 99.I have just bought a converted 97 cr250 chassis and put in an 86 engine.The carb boot did not quite fit and I had to improvise with a peice of pipe.I think I have a small air leak as she is running hot.Did you run the 97 250 radiator and was cooling an isue for you?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1994 honda cr250 by goon_life427

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Won't Start! Need Help! by Ging3rDedMan

• Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

1999 CR125R Choke installation? by josephduckworth

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

CR 250 Talon hubs/ wheels? by sandy450

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.