2010 WR - What I'd like to see.

22 replies to this topic
  • TWILES

Posted April 23, 2009 - 08:36 AM

Spent my day off bike shopping alone. Went to 3 places and checked out every off-road and MX bike made. I couldn't decide what I'd buy next. I'm too the point with my 05 that its time to commit to race-prep or sell and buy a new one to start on. SO MANY changes have been made from 05 - 09 that I've decided to just hold out for the 2010. Everyone has their own idea of what it should be. I'd like to see it stay the same with the exception of a new set of forks. I bitched about the FCR for 4 years but as corked-up as the WRs are, I think I'd rather have the carb instead of starting over with FI when half-throttle is all these come with. I grabbed the bars to move the bike out and couldn't believe how much lighter it felt compared to the 05. I've considered every bike there is and finally landed on what I've got. Imagine that? If anyone would like a 2005 model that has been babied and has an actual title, I got one.

• rkwfxd1

Posted April 23, 2009 - 07:27 PM

The only real change I would like to see for the 2010 model is a big drop in price. It is not that I think the bike is over priced, I just can't afford it right now. Clearly ain't gonna happen.

I would not be surprised to see NO changes for the next year or two with the economy in such a slump.

If they go to FI I will have to FIND the $$ and buy an 09. Not at all interested in a 'puter on my dirt bike.

• dustdogg

Posted April 23, 2009 - 09:33 PM

I would hope to see fuel injection and an upgrade in the suspension like the YZ's get. Until these changes happen I really see no reason to upgrade from my current 426. Come on Yamaha, I'm waiting:moon: :banghead:

• P0ACHER

Posted April 24, 2009 - 06:17 AM

Yeah as rkwfxd1 stated, the economy will put the brakes on EFI for Yamaha. Yami is always the last one to jump on the techno train (with Slad and Veter!) but once they do, they seem to do a good job.

If FI comes next year, it will most likely be on the YZs and that's it. Even if it did (by an act of God) come the WRs next year, I'd wait a year anyway to see how it does. Using that logic, I just popped for a new in the box '08 for under $5. So I'll set this bike up, ride it happily for two years, if FI is around I'll get one and keep this as a backup or guest bike.

As far as price going down, the deals are out there, you just gotta dig a little. :banghead:

• CanadianWR450

Posted April 24, 2009 - 06:28 AM

I'd love to have FI, depending on HOW they set the bike up with FI though....
If it comes all corked up like they do now, and are FI, you may not be able to "open it up" without spending big $$$ (maybe you could....won't know till they do it...)

If it comes already uncorked (honda can do it, why can't yamaha?), with FI, I think that would be great, although I still would wait for the 2nd year.....lol

• TWILES

Posted April 24, 2009 - 08:15 AM

If it comes all corked up like they do now, and are FI, you may not be able to "open it up" without spending big $$$ (maybe you could....won't know till they do it...)

That has me worried. I don't want to end up like the guys who bought the first LTR Suzuki's and spending an arm and a leg on a carb kit cause the FI sucks and I really don't want to have to buy an adjuster anyway.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 24, 2009 - 08:20 AM

The only real change I would like to see for the 2010 model is a big drop in price. It is not that I think the bike is over priced, I just can't afford it right now. Clearly ain't gonna happen.

I would not be surprised to see NO changes for the next year or two with the economy in such a slump.

If they go to FI I will have to FIND the $$ and buy an 09. Not at all interested in a 'puter on my dirt bike.

My bike with the FCR runs just fine. I did have to jet it, working on it is part of the fun.

I am waiting for the street legal enduro version. When they have that, I'll be at the showroom buying one.

Until then, why change anything other than BNG? If you've been watching supercross, James Stewart seems to be kicking butt against the fuel injected bikes. I don't know what we'd gain from FI except for easier jetting.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 24, 2009 - 10:15 AM

Four words - Fifty State Street Legal!!!!!!!!!

And I don't mean a watered down version like the WR250X / R

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 25, 2009 - 11:40 AM

I agree.... :banghead:

• davidl9999

Posted April 25, 2009 - 11:43 AM

+2 :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirt03

Posted April 30, 2009 - 08:25 PM

I dont understand why they dont have the street leagal 450 out yet since they have it in europe. Doesnt seem fare

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 30, 2009 - 08:44 PM

I hate to say this but I would like to see the 2010 WR just have BNG....that way I still feel good about my 08 :banghead: :banghead:

• 2006wr450f

Posted May 01, 2009 - 08:03 AM

I would like to see a $6000.00 price tag.

• davidl9999

Posted May 01, 2009 - 08:13 AM

I would like to see a $6000.00 price tag.

Heheh.
I stopped by my dealer this Tuesday. The salesman asked me what I wanted to pay for a '09WR450F. I wrote down $6,000 OTD on the sales form. They said "No." :banghead:
(but I did okay) :banghead:

• tunefx

Posted May 01, 2009 - 07:04 PM

First, I agree, with the economy being the way it is I don't expect much change. But, while we are wishing, I'll go ahead and wish! Some are the same as previously mentioned.

-FI
-YZ Forks
-Ti rear spring
-2 or 3 settings for FI map (a switch)
-Alum skid plate
-If it's 50-state ready keep it easy to make the mods
-Bark busters
-Nylon, e.g. TM Designworks (not aluminium) chain guide
-Thicker, more heavy duty, chain case protector
-Better quality chain
-Anything to make it lighter
-Anything else to make it lighter

And, to steal a line, make it race ready!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted May 01, 2009 - 07:47 PM

-Better quality chain

the stock chain is already a DID chain....i got 4000+ miles out of my stock chain on my 06 and on my 08, i have 45 hours

Anyone else have an issue with the stock chain?

• wrfty

Posted May 02, 2009 - 04:08 AM

Stock chain probs, yep I had them.

Stretched every time I rode the bike, replaced it with an RK, no more probs.
I have to admit that I've never been a big fan of the DID gear, too many cracked rims on earlier yamahas for me.

What I'd like to see in the 10 model? exactly the same as the 07. Can't fault the bike. Maybe a new plastics design to keep up with the exotic euros but thats it.

• tunefx

Posted May 02, 2009 - 08:01 AM

Stretched every time I rode the bike

Exactly!!

• MTrowbridge

Posted May 02, 2009 - 06:18 PM

Spent my day off bike shopping alone. Went to 3 places and checked out every off-road and MX bike made. I couldn't decide what I'd buy next. I'm too the point with my 05 that its time to commit to race-prep or sell and buy a new one to start on. SO MANY changes have been made from 05 - 09 that I've decided to just hold out for the 2010. Everyone has their own idea of what it should be. I'd like to see it stay the same with the exception of a new set of forks. I bitched about the FCR for 4 years but as corked-up as the WRs are, I think I'd rather have the carb instead of starting over with FI when half-throttle is all these come with. I grabbed the bars to move the bike out and couldn't believe how much lighter it felt compared to the 05. I've considered every bike there is and finally landed on what I've got. Imagine that? If anyone would like a 2005 model that has been babied and has an actual title, I got one.

I have a 2005 WR450 which I've made investments to get it to be a really good bike. I'll buy a new 2010 or 2011 WR450, especially if they do some or all of the following:

1. EFI (I ride at different elevations from sea level to 6K feet in the Sierras).

2. Lighten up the bike more. Maybe move battery in a waterproof spot in the skidplate...like some WR racers are doing...to lower the CG.

3. Raise the clearance (WR has less ground clearance than the KTM and most of its other competitors...makes a difference going over logs, boulders, or drop offs)

4. Stock bike should come with a firmer suspension. Too soft stock (I replaced front and rear springs on my 05 to get it right).

5. Would also be nice if we didn't have to do all the free mods and replace the throttle stop...just to get it to run right stock. Not a big deal, but why...?

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 04, 2009 - 07:28 PM

Moving the battery into the skidplate would be a huge step forward, as would a set of quick release electrical connectors so that the rear subframe could be easily removed to work on the carb. A titanium rear spring, would be great, and so would a little more bling, like maybe some black wheels or a limited edition wr that came in yellow or white. Kawasaki is hiding the fact that their new kx450 weighs ten pounds more that last years with little more than colored triple clamps and pretty black wheels. EfI would be nice for the wr, but not if it came at that cost.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.