dunes???

15 replies to this topic
  • JamesNad

Posted April 22, 2009 - 07:58 PM

did a search but didn't really find what i was looking for,

i just got a 04 450 and am taking a trip to the dunes in a few weeks got a few questions.

i already need a new chain and sprockets and was wondering what u guys run in the dunes??

and looking to buy a paddle tire wondering what would be the pros and cons of the 10 paddle and the 8 paddle??

im going to be getting 2 new filters, a K&N PRECHARGER, and a UNI BREATHER for the crank vent, is there anything else i should get for the trip????

or any little tricks for keeping sand out???

• wondermuscle

Posted April 22, 2009 - 08:19 PM

I run a 13/48. Not much of a top speed for the drags but it is better for the hill climbs and duning.

The crank vent is a MUST! Don't go to the dunes with out it re-routed.

Make sure that your air filter is clean.

I don't use a 10 paddle as it doesn't allow the needed wheel spin. An 8 paddle is the ticket.

I run about 12psi in the front tire and about 14psi in the rear.

Have fun! :banghead:

• JDAM450

Posted April 22, 2009 - 10:12 PM

On my 05 Yz450 I ran the stock 14/51. Stock for 04 was 14/48. I have run both 8 and 10 paddles on my 05. For me the 8 (small scoops) just didn't seem to hook up. I just had too much spin. I now run a AMS Sand Snake 10. I can still spin it and it climbs anything. My buddy runs a Kings Turbo 8 (big scoops), he likes it and it throws a cool roost. I run about 10 lbs front and rear.

• schlenk_dog

Posted April 24, 2009 - 05:06 AM

I run a 13/48. Not much of a top speed for the drags but it is better for the hill climbs and duning.

The crank vent is a MUST! Don't go to the dunes with out it re-routed.

Make sure that your air filter is clean.

I don't use a 10 paddle as it doesn't allow the needed wheel spin. An 8 paddle is the ticket.

I run about 12psi in the front tire and about 14psi in the rear.

Have fun! :banghead:

can someone tell me more about this crank vent and where it is and what needs to be done. i"m also going to the dunes in a couple weeks.

Last time I went to St. Anthony sand dunes I took a RMZ450 and rexburg motorsports recomended not even using a sand tire because there is plenty enough power to climb anything, and the dune tire makes the ride so rough.
I didn't even use one and had a great time. Climbed every big hill with ease. I am debating doing the same thing this time.

• wondermuscle

Posted April 24, 2009 - 06:09 AM

Here is all the info you need on the crank vent.

Discussion
http://www.thumperta....51#post4054651

A Clean, Simple Solution
http://www.thumperta....d.php?t=706602

A Different Breather kit parts list
http://www.thumperta....73#post4956573

I always run a paddle in the dunes, it is more fun for me.

Have fun out there, those are the second largest dunes I have found so far. I have yet to go to South America though....

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2009 - 06:41 AM

Have fun out there, those are the second largest dunes I have found so far. I have yet to go to South America though....

Algeria:

Posted Image

• wondermuscle

Posted April 24, 2009 - 06:47 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=761862

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2009 - 06:57 AM

All that, and no :banghead: tracks all over it. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JamesNad

Posted April 24, 2009 - 07:05 AM

i was going to get alittle crank vent from like a car and use that, uni makes one but they are cheap at like auto zone and i was goiing to put it up by the gas tank or in the air box,

i think im going to go with the ten paddle and if i dont like it they are only like 50 some bucks so i will just get a 8 paddle

• wondermuscle

Posted April 24, 2009 - 07:46 AM

i think im going to go with the ten paddle and if i dont like it they are only like 50 some bucks so i will just get a 8 paddle

You can also cut some of the rubber off with a razorblade. I have done that on one of my 10 cups before with good results.

• mitchicle

Posted April 24, 2009 - 09:16 AM

All that, and no :banghead: tracks all over it. :banghead:

Theres one lucky SOB out there. :banghead: :banghead:

• wondermuscle

Posted April 24, 2009 - 09:30 AM

Theres one lucky SOB out there. :banghead: :banghead:

It was me.... Not to rub it in but I had 4 days of that. :banghead:

There were dunes so big that I couldn't make it to the top on my 450 with a paddle. Even with a good 5th gear run at the bottom, I still couldn't get up..... Unforgetable to say the least. :banghead:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 24, 2009 - 09:37 AM

WM that is one of my favorite posts in the Baja section :banghead:

• mitchicle

Posted April 24, 2009 - 11:23 AM

There were dunes so big that I couldn't make it to the top on my 450 with a paddle. Even with a good 5th gear run at the bottom, I still couldn't get up..... Unforgetable to say the least. :banghead:

That is awesome. Saving my pennies as we speak for a trip like that. :banghead:

• x2468

Posted April 24, 2009 - 11:48 PM

gasp...

• brAapingyz450s

Posted April 25, 2009 - 08:28 PM

i run a 14/49 and i have a stock 06 yz450 in my dunes it does great 3rd gear no problem up the hills and im a heavy kid

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.