Head pipe glowing red

12 replies to this topic
  • WR450F_4600FT

Posted March 03, 2003 - 09:30 PM

:) Is it normal for my head pipe to be glowing bright red? I never noticed this on anything except maybe a turbo or carbon fiber brake rotors, Could this be a good indication of a lean condition?

• sabin

Posted March 03, 2003 - 10:51 PM

Don't worry it is normal.

• WR450F_4600FT

Posted March 03, 2003 - 10:57 PM

Thanks, I was worried. Is it due to it being made out of titanium or are they all that way and I just never noticed?

• beezer

Posted March 04, 2003 - 03:48 AM

Thats how I light my cigar.

They all do that.

• r1superstar

Posted March 04, 2003 - 05:37 AM

This is why the manual states not letting the bike idle for a long period of time..............db :)

• Richard56

Posted March 04, 2003 - 06:00 AM

it is very normal even happen in my bike... about not idling for too long... hm... maybe it is to preserve the life of the packing near the impellel shaft... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450F_RDR

Posted March 04, 2003 - 06:29 AM

noticed the same thing on mine when I made the jetting mods, turns out the idle screw was turned in way too much for the setup. If you back it out some, the red glowing goes away and bike will idle a lot better. I can idle mine almost indefinitely. You are correct that it is a sign of a lean condition at idle.

• Ridin'_MD

Posted March 04, 2003 - 06:38 AM

I've noticed that the Titanium pipe turns a sweet shade of blue. I figure I'll tell people that I got it anodized! :)

Maybe that was the reason that it took so long for the WRs to be released - they wanted to make sure the pipe didn't trun green, red, yellow or orange :D

• r1superstar

Posted March 04, 2003 - 06:40 AM

Hey Bill,

At what elevation do you ride at mostly? Thanks...........db

Posted March 04, 2003 - 07:19 AM

This guy is right, ITS TOO LEAN. it maybe common but not normal, reset the mix and it will be sooo much better.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted March 04, 2003 - 10:19 AM

I live at 1500 and ride from anywhere from 1500-4500 feet

• sabin

Posted March 04, 2003 - 10:31 PM

I have put some insulation on my header to protect the radiators from getting heat.

• new2blu

Posted March 05, 2003 - 05:15 PM

My bike had the same problem when i got it. Called the dealer he had me check the hot start "plunger" in the carb he had seen one getting stuck and not returning to the normal position---down. I removed the plunger and checked its operation---ok. Then I looked for some other problem (since it wasn't getting stuck). What I found is the adjustment on the cable was way out,there should be some free play in the hot start lever before the cable moves. Make sure that you here a click sound from the carb when you quickly release the hot start lever this shows that it is completely closing. btw the bike is running too lean richen the jetting. If you need any more help let me know!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.