08 WR450 brakelamp setup?

6 replies to this topic
  • slomotobug

Posted April 22, 2009 - 08:32 AM

Anyone know of a good brake light setup for an 08 WR450? DRC made a nice one for my 05 CRF450X that fit in stock mount and just changed from 4 led's to 8 led's and added a hydraulic brake sw. Just wondering if something like that is available for the WR. I can't seem to find anything but full kits like Baja designs.

• William1

Posted April 22, 2009 - 09:03 AM

Stock light has the brake light function. You just need to add the switch and a few wires.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 22, 2009 - 09:38 AM

William is correct but you are still faced with a way to mount your lic. plate. I have found that there are many user designed ones if you search this forum as well as some of the shelf units too.

If you are looking for a LED brk/tail light + License plate mount specific for your bike, Sicass Racing has one specific to the 07' and newer WR, it's $75 and it may come with a hydraulic switch... check them out.

I just bought a UFO taillight that 123bigdogcoop is using on his 07'... it's $35+ shipping and is not specific to the WR so some fender mods are necessary but it looks clean and it keeps the plate out of the way of the rear tire.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xWiggy18x

Posted April 22, 2009 - 09:43 AM

Anyone know of a good brake light setup for an 08 WR450? DRC made a nice one for my 05 CRF450X that fit in stock mount and just changed from 4 led's to 8 led's and added a hydraulic brake sw. Just wondering if something like that is available for the WR. I can't seem to find anything but full kits like Baja designs.

I would do what william said. Because i bought the kit from baha and i hate my tail light and head light now. Makes my new bike look ugly. Just get the switch for the brake light, hook up a few wires, and bleed your brakes. Also your stock head light has a lo and hi beam which can be hooked up as well.

• trailhead2004

Posted April 22, 2009 - 10:10 AM

There was a guy on ebay selling a nice, compact license plate holder. I couldn't find him when I searched today but I know I have a spare one in the shop. I'll try to remember to get the info tonight and post it tomorrow. I'd post a pic but my company has blocked Photobucket on me.

A little detail: It mounts to the existing taillight bosses in the fender. It comes with longer screws so you just remove the ones holding the taillight on and stick his lic plate holder up there and put in the new screws. The kit also comes with a stiff rubber sort of material the size of a license plate to give a little extra support to it. The materail seems to be something like a semi truck mud flap tyep rubber. Very tough! It also has pre-drilled holes for the rear turn signals. I think the price was about $50.

The only problem a couple of my lard-ass buddies have had is that they bottomed the rear out a couple of times and the tire catches the plate. I told them to lose a few pounds and try a heavier spring!:banghead: I haven't had any problems to date with that. FYI, I'm 5'10", 180 lbs + gear, upgraded both front and rear springs to the next higher spring rate available from Yamaha.

I'll try to remember to get the info for you tomorrow.

trailhead

• kingjewells

Posted April 22, 2009 - 11:59 AM

I bought the Baja Designs LED tailight/brake light here on TT for $58 and couldn't be more pleased.

• snaggletooth

Posted April 22, 2009 - 02:35 PM

My neighbor is having a small run made of the below plate holder that he designed. It's made to retain the factory 07+ WR tail light when mounting a plate. Not only does the factory tail light look good, it's super bright when it functions as a brake light.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The plate holder is of high grade alluminum and will come with stainles steel fasteners. It has cut outs to make it very light weight and to allow the light housing to be removed without taking off the mount. It's clutter free and doesn't have tabs for signals (most mount them to the fender). You will never have to worry about it falling off, cracking, drooping, or the tire ripping off the plate when bottoming out. I have 1,000+ hard off road miles with my and no issues. We will do our best to keep the cost at $30 shipped to your door for TT'ers. It should be available by the end of next week. Sorry about the sales pitch, I'm just excited that my neighbor decided to offer others a design that worked so great for me.

I realy liked the ebay guys design. He put a lot of design work into it. It's also a simple bolt on product that looks bullet proof. I'm just not sure about the angle he made for the plate. It looks like the tire could hit it upon bottoming out?

The B/D rear light unit for my XR650R was OK, but not as bright as the factory WR tail light. I also didn't care much for the way it mounted the plate. I also had to drill holes in my fender to mount it but with the proper washers it still looked good. The tire eventualy ate the plate on the XR so I went for another design.

The Sicass Racing design looks nice also, as long as you don't mind ditching the factory light. It looks like a simple bolt on, no holes in the fender.

What about bolting the plate on top of the fender. It's not fancy looking but it's definatly bullet proof!

PS, please don't extend this thread due to questions for my pending sales. I just wanted to show another option that will be available soon. Keep an eye out for better pic's, write up and a sales date.
S/T.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.