jetting, timing, what works best?

1 reply to this topic
  • xrracer36

Posted August 26, 2002 - 01:30 PM

i am just now finding out about the "yz jetting" for wr's... is this a new development?
i knew about yz timing and was afraid to try it, but after racing bro's yz400f while mine was getting top end job, i need more.
is yz timing the ticket, or jetting, or both.
i track ride (mx race) the bike exclusively right now, with a tiny bit of trails.
if i go to yz timing, do i need to rejet?
and what is invovled in yz timing.
i want to know risks, changes and anything else associated with both changes before i make a move.
also, i am aquiring a power bomb header soon very cheaply. will that require a re-jet? i am running a stock yzf muffler.
thanks.
racer36

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted August 26, 2002 - 01:47 PM

The "YZ needle" trick is as old as this website, and is not related to the YZ timing.

How 'bout a simple quiz:

Which will affect the breathing characteristics, and therefore jetting, of your WR more?

a) removing the exhaust insert ("uncorking"), thereby decreasing backpressure about 400%, and unsealing airbox ("uncovering"), decreasing intake restrictions by about 100%

:) retarding the exhaust cam timing.

Why is the WR delivered with a different needle than the YZ?

a) Because it has a pinkie-sized exhaust and a sealed airbox.

:D The exhaust cam timing is slightly different.

c) It has lights.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I just wonder how so many folks miss the relevance of the breathing and exhaust restrictions, and their removal, to that weird stock WR jetting.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.