fork pre-load washer???

2 replies to this topic
  • atitagain

Posted April 22, 2009 - 06:26 AM

Has anyone added 1 or 2 pre-load washers to their forks? I see in the manual that they are assembled without any, but you can add up to 2 to stiffen the forks up a little. I'm just curious if they have any effect on the fork...positive or negative.
I know that they really need to go to a tuner for a re-valve, but $$$ isn't in the cards for that right now. I was just thinking that if I can add a little pre-load to them then it may be a cheap improvement. Other than the forks....I think my 07 is one of the best off road machines out there! :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 22, 2009 - 04:12 PM

Has anyone added 1 or 2 pre-load washers to their forks? I see in the manual that they are assembled without any, but you can add up to 2 to stiffen the forks up a little. I'm just curious if they have any effect on the fork...positive or negative.
I know that they really need to go to a tuner for a re-valve, but $$$ isn't in the cards for that right now. I was just thinking that if I can add a little pre-load to them then it may be a cheap improvement. Other than the forks....I think my 07 is one of the best off road machines out there! :banghead:

IMHO, adding pre-load won't actually make it stiffer (unless you add a lot) but it will make the fork ride higher in the stroke. The problems is, the more preload you add the more rebound you have to add too, and that is part of the forks problem in the first place. I think it will be different, but not better. Maybe 1/2" of PVC tubing would be interesting to try.

• idamoh

Posted April 24, 2009 - 02:52 PM

The WR has a POS base valve (amongst other things regarding the forks). One thing you can do that is super cheap is add some preload to the spring in the base valve. That spring tends to loosen up over time. The WR's don't have a conventional base valve. I am actually pulling the spring out all together and adding gold valves to make my base valve work like a conventional base valve. If you pull out the base valve and start looking at how the thing operates you'll see what I mean. That spring tends to wear out over time and cause the much complained about suspension problems in the WR fork. I'll try and post some pictures of what I am doing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.