Small Oil Leak

3 replies to this topic
  • WGP

Posted April 21, 2009 - 03:35 PM

So I replaced the water pump last month including the 2 seals, shaft, ect....

Now I have a small oil leak either coming from the weep hole (is that possible?) or from the crankcase gasket right below the water pump where there is a large tab in the gasket?

It is a very small amount of oil.......

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2009 - 04:08 PM

It is possible for the oil seal to leak, and the idea of the weep hole is that that is where it would come from. But it's not too likely unless the seal were to be assembled into the case backward, which is actually a fairly common mistake. The lip of the seal needs to face in toward the oil it is sealing.

If you used a new gasket, they are pretty robust, what with the metal core and all. A mistake that could have been made here is to have left a chunk of the old gasket stuck on one of the sealing surfaces in that area.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:32 PM

I re-used the gasket, and I'm wondering if I should have used a new one?

I just looked at it after taking her around the block and I'm pretty sure its coming from the weep hole. I thought I had everything correct? It wouldn't be the first time I thought I was right and wasn't. Should I buy a new seal or just open it up and switch the direction?

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2009 - 07:12 PM

I guess it depends on how much finesse you can use in removing the current seal (if it's backward). Remember, it's under the bearing. I'd probably try reusing it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.