Where and what brand or flywheel weight to buy?

14 replies to this topic
  • Crabtree426

Posted April 20, 2009 - 04:00 PM

For the past couple of years, i've thought about buying a flywheel weight for my 2000 426. Now that I have less riding time (newborn) and am more rusty when I do get out, I figured that a weight may be a nice addition to keep from stalling as much and to smooth out the power. Steahly use to offer a bolt on weight but no longer does.

Any suggestions on brands or suppliers would be greatly appreciated.

I ride some tight single track and quad width trails.

• 642MX

Posted April 20, 2009 - 04:03 PM

Sounds like you need a Rekluse instead of a FWW. The Rekluse will do everything you listed, plus it helps eliminate arm pump.... the only down side is the expense.

If your hearts set on a FWW, eBay might be a good place to snag one.

• Se77vN

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:21 PM

Man... I just checked the link for rekluse on your reply and that sounds pretty sweet!! But the question is how do you shift?? Let off the throttle and click up or down?? And the other question is how does the manual over ride work?? Does it use the existing clutch cable? Thanks, this looks like a cool product if it can do what everyone says, I too have been thinking about a fww.

THanks, sorry to derail your post, (but hey maybe you had the same questions??).

• rufusz

Posted April 21, 2009 - 12:29 AM

But the question is how do you shift?? Let off the throttle and click up or down??

You use the clutch for shifting??? Why? Just roll back the throttle a bit and shift, nothing as easy like that :p

• 642MX

Posted April 21, 2009 - 04:25 AM

Man... I just checked the link for rekluse on your reply and that sounds pretty sweet!! But the question is how do you shift?? Let off the throttle and click up or down?? And the other question is how does the manual over ride work?? Does it use the existing clutch cable? Thanks, this looks like a cool product if it can do what everyone says, I too have been thinking about a fww.

THanks, sorry to derail your post, (but hey maybe you had the same questions??).

You shift like normal, you can use the clutch if you want, but its not needed. The over-ride works just like your standard clutch, but its really only needed for MX starts. Its a very cool product!

• TIG88

Posted April 21, 2009 - 05:05 AM

Ive been contemplating one of these as well.

My question is, for your trail rider, is the rekluse pro worth the added expense?

• 642MX

Posted April 21, 2009 - 05:44 AM

Ive been contemplating one of these as well.

My question is, for your trail rider, is the rekluse pro worth the added expense?

Yes, the Pro is worth the extra coin. I've had both. The Pro is easier to install, a lot less maintenance, and the engaugement is a lot more positive. Plus the over-ride on the Pro really works, with the old style z-start you could only rev it so far with the lever pulled in or the bike would take off.

I had the older z-start in both bikes and when the new version came out I didn't think I needed to upgrade, but then I rode a friends WR with the Pro.... the next day I ordered 2 new Rekluse Pro's. :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Crabtree426

Posted April 21, 2009 - 11:08 AM

Looks sweet but don't have that kind of coin to throw down on one right at the moment. New baby = crabtree426 play money low at the moment. Could still use suggestions on fly weights though.

• buzzfin

Posted April 21, 2009 - 11:27 AM

I would suggest the GYTR off-road flywheel. I put it on my '09 450 for woods riding and love it. It's exactly the same as the Steahly 9oz weight - in fact I think Steahly must supply them to Yamaha for the GYTR brand. I had both in hand and they were identical, all the way down to the packaging. The GYTR is cheaper though... If you get it, do yourself a favor and buy the puller too. Makes getting the flywheel off a simple 5 minute job.

• 642MX

Posted April 21, 2009 - 11:28 AM

Looks sweet but don't have that kind of coin to throw down on one right at the moment. New baby = crabtree426 play money low at the moment. Could still use suggestions on fly weights though.

MSR still carries them 9, 11, 13 oz. I think they retail for $229. And if memory serves me correctly, they come with a new mag cover to make room for the weight. The TT store should be able to drop ship you one.

• mike_dean

Posted April 21, 2009 - 12:09 PM

Get the GYTR part # and check it out on TT store for price.

• FinchFan194

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:09 PM

I doubt GYTr makes one for a 426 they don't even make them anymore for 03-05 450's. . .I wanted one but went back a few weeks later and they were gone. Check with Dubach racing.

• Crabtree426

Posted April 22, 2009 - 07:53 AM

I did a quick search and haven't found a supplier yet. I still need to check MSR and a few others still. :banghead:

• FinchFan194

Posted April 22, 2009 - 02:54 PM

I did a quick search and haven't found a supplier yet. I still need to check MSR and a few others still. :banghead:

If I were you I would call Dubach racing direct all they do to the 03-05 flywheels is add weight to them they should be able to do the same for you.

• mike_dean

Posted April 22, 2009 - 03:25 PM

Steahly has 10,12,14 oz complete flywheels for '00-'02 YZ426 @ $249.00 list. steahlyoffroad.com You mught want to give them a call because they make kits for bolt on weights for the 400 and the 250 @ $89.00 list.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.