Anyone use this license plate mount?

17 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted April 20, 2009 - 12:50 PM

On e-bay.... any customer comments on the bracket and it's design? I want something up out of the way and durable...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks!

• KennyMc

Posted April 20, 2009 - 02:16 PM

I don't know if this is the same one but they had an issue with it.

http://www.thumperta...highlight=plate

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 20, 2009 - 02:55 PM

Thanks.... yes they refer to that one in that thread and what I suspected is true.... albeit probably legal, it points the plate down too vertical and i know from experience that it will get whacked by the tire with just moderate to medium off roading:banghead:

looking at sicass racing or ufo now...

• tribalbc

Posted April 20, 2009 - 04:38 PM

Good to see you now have a plated WR :p

Here's my plate holder I had my buddy with a bender make up for me.
I just have it rivetted to the tailight body.
It is narrow, I drill new holes in my plate ( legal?????? )
It will also bend the plate if I fully bottom.
Lost a couple plates now, but the mount is totally nonintrusive with no plate on it.
I only throw the plate on the bike maybe a dozen times a year anyways when I do a bit of dual sporting somewhere where I might actually see police :lol:

Posted Image

• lockheed

Posted April 20, 2009 - 04:49 PM

Don - I bought my 07 wr used but my bracket looks just like that and it works fine.

Ed

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 20, 2009 - 07:03 PM

looking at sicass racing or ufo now...

for 35 bucks, i would spend my money on this :p

http://www.thumperta...923#post7889923

oh wait i did :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• strych9

Posted April 20, 2009 - 07:31 PM

i bought the kit of ebay, it worked perfectly. i jumped off a big rock and bent my plate.(tire just nicked it) i bent the plate up a little and has not even come close to hitting tire anymore. i dont need signals in nh. so i havent put them in (yet). and the bracket has mounting holes for them. I would recommend or buy again. when i hit the lottery for another wr

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:18 AM

for 35 bucks, i would spend my money on this :p

http://www.thumperta...923#post7889923

oh wait i did :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats UFO right? Thats what I am thinking... how much fender mod did you have to do? Sicass makes a taillight assy that is supposed to bolt right up to the existing taillight mount on the WR but they want $75.

It looks like you might need to cut/grind off the existing plastic posts on the fender and thru bolt that one?

I appreciate the info everyone... thanks:thumbsup:

• atitagain

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:25 AM

I have that one from Ebay on my 07. The only time that I had a problem was when I was jumping it at the dunes with a paddle tire on it. I just bent the plate out a little and have had no problems since. I've had zero problems with the knobby on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 21, 2009 - 07:02 AM

Thats UFO right?

Correct! For 36 bucks its worth every penny IMHO

http://www.oemcycle....em/product/5186

How much fender mod did you have to do? It looks like you might need to cut/grind off the existing plastic posts on the fender and thru bolt that one?

You got it...super simple and super easy

Sicass makes a taillight assy that is supposed to bolt right up to the existing taillight mount on the WR but they want $75.

I haven't seen the Sicass one but all I know is that of all the plate holders that I have seen, the UFO Phantom is by far the best bang for the buck...its compact and light so the rear fender is not flopping around. The LED's are bright and easy to see during the day. Lastly, it comes with everything you need to wire it up :banghead:

Don you wont be disappointed I promise you that :banghead:

• SXP

Posted April 21, 2009 - 07:06 AM

Don - Contact snaggletooth. He's in the process of fabricating more plate holder that bolts up to the stock light. Someone has posted a couple of pics of what the holder looks like last week.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 21, 2009 - 09:15 AM

Yeah I saw William1's pics of that and they looked good... I did not know he would be making more... I just ordered the one coop has from OEMcycle. At $35 it will not be a huge loss if it breaks but it sounds like a good product (UFO)....

• trailhead2004

Posted April 23, 2009 - 11:17 AM

I've been using one for a year and haven't had any problems. One of my buddies did because he had his suspension set up way too soft. He just folded the plate underneath the bracket. The fix was to bend the bracket up a little more horizontal and he hasn't had any more problems.

trailhead

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 23, 2009 - 11:45 AM

One of my buddies did because he had his suspension set up way too soft.

Not start a fight here but my suspension is not set "to soft" and i defiantly use the entire stroke of the rear shock. To say that someones suspension is to soft and results with a plate being sucked up isn't really a valid argument.

I think the eBay plate holder is slick looking but for an aggressive rider, i think the plate holders "pitch" should be at a different angle so that no matter how the suspension is setup/used the rear tire should never have a chance of catching the plate :banghead:

• Regalman

Posted April 23, 2009 - 12:14 PM

LOL, I just replied with the same basic thing in the other thread about this.

You think this guy has a vested interest to pull all these back up?

• CORider63

Posted April 23, 2009 - 12:54 PM

I have a newer one of these brackets and he now has the plate at a more shallow angle to avoid the plate getting hit by the tire.

• trailhead2004

Posted April 27, 2009 - 11:17 AM

Not start a fight here but my suspension is not set "to soft" and i defiantly use the entire stroke of the rear shock. To say that someones suspension is to soft and results with a plate being sucked up isn't really a valid argument.

I think the eBay plate holder is slick looking but for an aggressive rider, i think the plate holders "pitch" should be at a different angle so that no matter how the suspension is setup/used the rear tire should never have a chance of catching the plate :banghead:

I agree with you that suspension set up shouldn't matter but the overall concern is that the wheel takes out the plate holder. BTW, both of my friends feel that the shock should have a bigger, stiffer bumper at the end of compression. I need to remove my shock sometime and pull the spring to see how much travel there is built into the system. The second issue I'm really wondering about is "Does the wheel end up hitting the taillight?" Without the shock it most definitely does and I'd be surprised if blue set it up to be a possibility but I don't know the answer. Anyone else know?

I wrote Ryco several months ago with a few comments and he must have made the changes I suggested. I'm not saying it was because I wrote him but maybe he was getting many comments on the problem. Overall, I'd say it is a nice setup.

trailhead

• Icelandic_amateur

Posted April 28, 2009 - 03:54 AM

I have a Yamaha WR 450 - 2005 model (the old rear fender).
I suppose the solutions shown here will not fit my bike, as you guys all have the new look?!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.