DRZ restrictor removal

12 replies to this topic
  • Robbie Jackson

Posted April 20, 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hi
does anyone have any idea how to remove 33 BHP restrictors from UK DRZ's.
Just bought one with one fitted and want it out!!!
thanks

• mjruopp

Posted April 20, 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hi
does anyone have any idea how to remove 33 BHP restrictors from UK DRZ's.
Just bought one with one fitted and want it out!!!
thanks

I suppose you are refering to the BSR36 carburetor, replace it with a Keihin FCR :p

What other restrictive devices do you have on the UK bikes?

• Smias

Posted April 21, 2009 - 12:54 AM

Check the PAIR valve removal :p

But with the fcr39 you will see a much snappier bike !

• MattHirst

Posted April 21, 2009 - 01:11 AM

I suppose you are refering to the BSR36 carburetor, replace it with a Keihin FCR :p

What other restrictive devices do you have on the UK bikes?

Its only if you are under 21 and have taken your bike test, you are restricted to 25Kw (33bhp) and 0.16hp/kg for 2 years.

Generally on a carbed bike, the restrictor is above the diaphram (sp) to stop the slider going all the way up, or an inlet manifold with a smaller ID to restrict the flow of fuel/air to the engine. Or it could just be a simple throttle stop.

I couldn't tell you exactly, i am supposed to be restricted but i'm not but ssshhhh. Running 36.7rwhp on an 07 SM, totally stock apart from the full Akra exhaust :-)

• Mototalla

Posted April 21, 2009 - 05:33 AM

If it's the same one that's used over here, it's the plastic carb top cover. It looks almost like the normal cover, but it restricts the slide movement. So you need to go to your local suzuki dealer and order a non-restricted one, unless the previous owner gave the stock one to you as well. The dealer will know what you need, just ask them. The restricted one cost me only about 30euros ( 25pounds?). :p

• Robbie Jackson

Posted April 21, 2009 - 10:23 AM

thanks,
come to think of it i have a spare carb cover talked about above!!
that must be it!!
thanks for the help

• mynameis

Posted April 21, 2009 - 11:10 AM

Might also be a large washer in the inlet rubber between the carb and cylinder head.I bought a GS500 twin some years ago to commute on,pretty gutless but turns out it was restricted to 33HP with these 2 washers!Cheers

Posted Image
Posted Image

• moto31382

Posted April 21, 2009 - 11:19 AM

Did you buy the bike new, why did you have the restrictor fitted?

I think they are restricted with the washes in the intake as in the previous post pictures, but they only fit them if requested don’t they????

Where about in the UK are you, I’m down in the southwest trying to get a meet together in the summer.

• neckyjive810

Posted April 21, 2009 - 12:31 PM

Where about in the UK are you, I’m down in the southwest trying to get a meet together in the summer.

may be you should start a thread for that one, I would be interested in a meet.:banghead:

I am in the swindon area

I ride an SM on the street and a street legal S for the masses of local byeways.:banghead:

Although I am out of action at the moment as a sneaky little 50 foot high tree jumped out at me and smashed in two of my ribs.:banghead:

God bless DHL, full pay sitting on my arse at home, instead of sat on it in a truck, happy day’s.:banghead:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Mototalla

Posted April 21, 2009 - 02:20 PM

Did you buy the bike new, why did you have the restrictor fitted?

I think they are restricted with the washes in the intake as in the previous post pictures, but they only fit them if requested don’t they????

4th post. The previous owner was probably under 21? Because of my age I had to restrict my bike and get it pass inspection two years ago. Went to the dealer and they ordered me this carb cover, it's a oem suzuki part. I can take a pic of the restricted one tomorrow so you can see how it looks like.

Edit: Here's a pic of the restrictor I had, you can see the big thing in the middle, in the stock one it's less than half the size of that one:

Posted Image

• moto31382

Posted April 22, 2009 - 04:36 AM

Good pic, cheers for clearing that up!:banghead:

Everyone buying a second hand DRZ should check this, make sure their bike is not restricted!

• JimboMatrix

Posted April 22, 2009 - 11:44 AM

Hey man thanks a lot! I have been wanting to remove my restrictor too. I will have a look to see how they restricted mine. I live in South East Essex, if you wanna go for a ride out some time let me know. :banghead:

• Chinosupermotoman

Posted September 01, 2009 - 08:11 PM

where is the throttle stop on a california drz400s? Took off smog canister and lines that go with it. Anything else I can do? Thnaks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

What did you BUY for your DRZ today by Craig-o

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  1,960 replies
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

Who Has The Lightest DRZ400E and How Did You Achieve It? by Positron007

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

• 20 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.