How Often do you 'Hot Start'

9 replies to this topic
  • wondermuscle

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:04 AM

I am still working the bugs out of my 2008 YZ.... I wanted to know how often do you others out there use your hot start after a stall or shutting the bike down. I ride sea level desert, trails and only tracks during the summer.

I have a 48 pilot and am thinking about going back down to a 45. Any thoughts?

• erickdj

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:25 AM

I usually need to pull the hotstart lever when the bike is fully warm and at normal operational temperature. I think that's the "normal" way it should operate. If the bike has been off for 5-15 minutes then I don't use the hotstart, just kick it and it starts.

• TIG88

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:26 AM

I usually need to pull the hotstart lever when the bike is fully warm and at normal operational temperature. I think that's the "normal" way it should operate. If the bike has been off for 5-15 minutes then I don't use the hotstart, just kick it and it starts.

Exactly

• Wiz636

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:34 AM

I have a 48 pilot and am thinking about going back down to a 45. Any thoughts?

Now that the weather is warming up you are probably running pretty rich with that 48 pj...I bet you are having to use your hot start even when the bike is not warmed up.

Drop back down to the 45.

• wondermuscle

Posted April 20, 2009 - 09:06 AM

Now that the weather is warming up you are probably running pretty rich with that 48 pj...I bet you are having to use your hot start even when the bike is not warmed up.

Drop back down to the 45.

I don't have to use the hot start when the bike is cooled down a bit. But I can thread my pilot air screw in all the way and the bike still runs fine. So back down to a 45 it is. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bully7

Posted May 04, 2009 - 12:30 PM

I don't use my hot start unless I crash and the bike goes down on it's side.

The reason is that fuel seems to flood the bike and by applying the hot start it stops the fuel coming in so it seems to clean things out with air whilst you apply the kick start.

• wondermuscle

Posted May 04, 2009 - 01:31 PM

Went to a 45 pilot.... Problem solved.

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2009 - 03:39 PM

I use the hot start quite a lot, actually. I use it any time I would want to open the throttle slightly while starting, sometimes even on a cold start. It accomplishes basically the same thing as cracking the throttle; it adds air to the mixture. The hot start, however, does so without any attendant squirt from the AP, so it's a better choice sometimes.

• theuberacer

Posted May 05, 2009 - 10:25 PM

I use it almost every time I start the bike. The first start of the day I don't just choke and twist the throttle a few times. But after that I use the hot start just about every time unless the bike has had at least an hour to cool down. It just starts so much easier..

BTW my bike is box stock as of now, haven't adjusted the carb at all and stock 08 pipe.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted May 05, 2009 - 10:32 PM

when my bike was stock I almost never needed it as the bikes come lean. but when you start adding mods and richen up the jetting a little to make it run better things change. like others have said I use it almost every time out riding when the bike is warm for restarts, but if it cools down and sits a little there is no need.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.