Crush Washer and Caliper Bolt

6 replies to this topic
  • Se77vN

Posted April 20, 2009 - 04:11 AM

Hello,

I was on a ride yesterday, and was at the top if a large hill when I went to grab a hand full of front and there was nothing there!!! I coasted down the hill and discovered that one of the bolts that holds the front caliper on had rattled itself completely off. Well I was able to reposition it and ride back to the truck without any front brake.

I was hoping someone out there would be kind enough to help me decipher the OEM part numbers on here so I can order myself a new one.

Also, (and I ran a search for this one....) Does anyone know the part number or the size/dimensions of the crush washer I should be replacing with my oil changes (drain plug)? And Am I supposed to be placing the o-rings in the oil filter cover everything as well??

Thanks for all your help!!

• Se77vN

Posted April 20, 2009 - 07:37 AM

Anyone?? Please... I will dance at your wedding.... =)

• grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2009 - 09:29 AM

One crush washer is 8mm, and one is 10. The don't truly need to be replaced with each oil change, every 5th or so should be plenty.

Which item # is the bolt you need in the picture linked here?

http://oem.thumperta...rakecaliper.gif

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Se77vN

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:11 PM

One crush washer is 8mm, and one is 10. The don't truly need to be replaced with each oil change, every 5th or so should be plenty.

Which item # is the bolt you need in the picture linked here?

http://oem.thumperta...rakecaliper.gif

Oh Cool, but wait, are there 2 crush washers?

Number 16 I do believe.

Thanks Grey!!

• grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:30 PM

Oh Cool, but wait, are there 2 crush washers?

Number 16 I do believe.

There had better be two; there are two drain plugs. Need a manual?

The bolt is a 90105-08137-00

• Se77vN

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:48 PM

There had better be two; there are two drain plugs. Need a manual?

Hmmm, no I have a manual. But I have only been draining the one main bolt:bonk: . I Guess I better check the manual again...:p

Ok, so now that I know that, is there a part number by chance for those I could find??

...ANd on second though am/have I doing/done any damage by not draining the second one?? I always open up the fill hole and the dipstick hole and let it drain for a good 30 mins. Bike has maybe 15 hours on it since coming home from the stealership.

The bolt is a 90105-08137-00

^^Thank you for that!! Just waiting to see if I can also order the crush washers from TT. =)

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:30 AM

The washer for the drain plug on the left front, under the ignition cover is a 90430-08119-00. The drain at the right rear, under the kick starter, and conveniently located behind the frame rail :p (DON'T strip it) is a 90430-10188-00.

Your bike has a dry sump oiling system, meaning there is an oil supply separate from the crankcase, one pump to feed oil to the engine from there, and another to return it from the crankcase to the supply reservoir. This normally means there is an oil tank hanging on the frame somewhere, but then designers started getting clever and used the frame itself to hold the oil supply. In an effort to lower the center of gravity as much as possible, Yamaha moved the "oil tank" into a separate cavity in the front of the crankcase. It is still very much a dry sump system, but you can see how it confuses things. Read more if you want.

The simplified correct procedure is to remove the dip stick, drain the oil from the left front, drain the oil from the right rear, change (or clean) the oil filter, and refill. With a filter change and a complet proper draining, they take exactly one liter of oil to refill.

Here's two more links to look into:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=575367

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.