no oil in frame???????????

6 replies to this topic
  • cnacc

Posted March 03, 2003 - 08:24 AM

Hello all, yesterday I changed my oil and filter. When I drained my oil little to none came out of the drain in the frame. Usually there is at least half a quart in there. The amount in the bucket came up to the level it normally does after all have been drained.

This brings us to my question. I haven't been able to ride for a week and a half due to weather. Does all of the oil drain down into the engine after the bike sits for a while?? :) I thought it stayed in the frame until the engine was running. Is this normal, or do I need to check something out?

• cnacc

Posted March 03, 2003 - 09:04 AM

• David_Gronlund

Posted March 03, 2003 - 09:10 AM

The oil does drain down into the engine after the bike has been sitting a while. Don't worry about it, thats normal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cnacc

Posted March 03, 2003 - 09:24 AM

• foursmoke

Posted March 03, 2003 - 09:27 AM

I found on my 00 DRZ400E that if I let the bike warm up for more than the 3 minutes from cold, which was what the manual recomended, the oil would thin out more and I wouldn't get an acurate reading on the dipstick.When I did the 3 minutes it was more consistent.

03 WR450FR-6 miles & no problems :)

• WR450F_4600FT

Posted March 08, 2003 - 03:27 PM

The three minute warm up is the same for the WR

• John_H

Posted March 08, 2003 - 06:31 PM

The oil does drain down into the engine after the bike has been sitting a while.

yeah, on my Harley same thing happens if I let it sit for a couple months. There's a check ball that's supposed to stop it, but after long periods it ends up in the engine.

Problem is, when you start the bike it pukes tons of oil out the breather and through the air cleaner. What a mess. :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.