overheating, i need better coolant? maybe a fan?

74 replies to this topic
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted April 19, 2009 - 02:45 PM

hey guys on my 06 yz 450 it the real tight stuff where im not moving very fast it starts to overheat and just dumps out my fuild.. im running engine ice but i heard theres better stuff out there like evans coolant thats good up to 400 degrees? whats engine ice good up too?

so whats the best coolant you can run, also im thining about putting in a wr overflow tank on my bike to catch it all can i do that?

also has anybody ever put a fan on theses bike like the KTM has?

• husqy360

Posted April 19, 2009 - 03:43 PM

try using the search, you will find lots of topics about coolents.

if evenas runing so much hotter the bike will run realy hot.

i use engine ice and its seems to work great.

the fan is somthing im realy intresting in, beacuse if i dont keep speed up it will boil.

u can try diffrent rad cap.

• jo-hn1777

Posted April 19, 2009 - 03:48 PM

check your jetting,make sure it isnt lean

• TIG88

Posted April 19, 2009 - 03:49 PM

Id be weary to run something that wont boil over until it is that hot. If your already boiling over with engine ice, I would consider jerry-rigging some sort of fan on there, or maybe change your gearing. Allowing your bike to run hotter than it already is, is a mistake IMO.

• tribalbc

Posted April 19, 2009 - 04:15 PM

I like to ride really tight stuff and would occassionally boil my 07 wr450.
I installed a Boyesen impeller and pump cover. Haven't boiled over since :p

• ThumperKid250F

Posted April 19, 2009 - 07:40 PM

I like to ride really tight stuff and would occassionally boil my 07 wr450.
I installed a Boyesen impeller and pump cover. Haven't boiled over since :p

well the reason i think i boil over faster than everybody else is that i got a lot of work done to my motor that would cause for more heat..

im going to look into the boyesen impeller and pump cover and maybe get a high pressure cap to see..

also when i meant really slow riding i mean 1st gear moving 3 mph tight stuff.. it wasent even a trail so i dont really expect to be going that slow again..

thanks guys

• DeeCee

Posted April 20, 2009 - 12:24 AM

Another option is to fit an overflow tank into your cooling circuit. Motion Pro make one that fits on the fork leg behind the front number plate. Another option is to fit the overflow tank from a WR. I have used both, the WR tank on my 400 and the Motion Pro tank on my CR250.

The tank allows for your radiator to blow off and when it cools again, to draw the coolant back in.

At very slow speeds the YZ will always boil over, the best solution is to minimise riding at slow speeds, and to catch the coolant it expels (as explained above).

• ThumperKid250F

Posted April 20, 2009 - 07:30 AM

Another option is to fit an overflow tank into your cooling circuit. Motion Pro make one that fits on the fork leg behind the front number plate. Another option is to fit the overflow tank from a WR. I have used both, the WR tank on my 400 and the Motion Pro tank on my CR250.

The tank allows for your radiator to blow off and when it cools again, to draw the coolant back in.

At very slow speeds the YZ will always boil over, the best solution is to minimise riding at slow speeds, and to catch the coolant it expels (as explained above).

thanks im gunna look into getting the wr tank..

should i get one from a 07 and up since they had a alum frame ?

• WGP

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:32 AM

I use this and haven't boiled over once....I ride alot of slow rocks too

http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTMwNg==

• Wiz636

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:40 AM

I make my own coolant and it works very well. Cheap also!

http://www.thumperta...910#post5168910

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted April 20, 2009 - 03:52 PM

I make my own coolant and it works very well. Cheap also!

http://www.thumperta...910#post5168910

cool ill do that when i finish my engine ice! :p

• b--man426

Posted April 20, 2009 - 05:50 PM

I found this option for the over flow tank the other nite while doing some internet surfing---

https://ssl.perfora....ndex.shopscript

• swatdoc

Posted April 21, 2009 - 11:45 PM

APA coolant catch tank works well - it's what i run on my YZ. if the coolant does boil over - it just goes into the catch tank, then as it cools off it siphons back into the radiators.

Also, here's a 12 volt fan that pulls about 25 watts. you would need the "puller" style if you mounted it behind the radiator

http://www.spalusa.c...l&item=30103009

• Ga426owner

Posted April 22, 2009 - 01:07 PM

For your type of riding....tight stuff/woods
Use what the HareScramble /Enduro guys use

Evans Coolant - same stuff ZipTy sells
Boysen water pump/impeller kit

• jjj109

Posted April 22, 2009 - 01:46 PM

You should try Water Wetter. It made by Redline . Factory team Honda was using it for the 1st couple of years in the crf250r's in the nationals. They were trying a lot of different things to keep the bikes cool cause they were so high compression , very aggressive cam, and aggressive ignition timing. I was told its better then Engine Ice. I think it will freeze up though in the winter so it has to be drained out. :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2009 - 02:25 PM

You should try Water Wetter.

It's a good product, and if you notice, Wiz includes that in his recipe. It's very important when using straight water, but less so when using coolants mixed with water, since that kind of does some of the same things.

Water Wetter is a surfactant. That is, it eliminates the surface tension that water has, and that breaks down the slight thermal barrier that forms between the water in the cooling system and the metals involved to let heat flow into and out of the water better.

To see this work, take a glass of water and an ordinary straight pin. You can actually float the pin on its side on top of the water if you drop it in place carefully. Now stir in just a little bit of laundry detergent and try it again. That's what water wetter does, and you can try the same test with a mix of coolant and water. Most of the time, you'll see that the pin won't float. You can also see this by putting plain water onto a metal surface. It will bead and puddle up. With Water Wetter, it won't. The treated water will sheet out more like an oil, but so will a coolant/water mix.

It doesn't hurt to use it anyway, so you can if it makes you more comfortable, but it isn't really very necessary when using mixed coolants.

As far as which coolant is better, that depends on what your goal is. If you want to avoid losses due to boiling, The Evans stuff is best, followed by a 50/50 mix of PG or EG coolant under a high pressure cap. But neither of those will actually cool the engine as well as plain distilled water with Water Wetter added. OTOH, treated water will still boil at about 235 with a standard cap, and a 50/50 will stay liquid 'til around 270, so you have a choice. I recommend splitting the difference the way Wiz has by reducing the coolant in the mix to 20-30%.

• jjj109

Posted April 22, 2009 - 02:47 PM

nice write up gray, Sorry wiz636 I didnt even look at the thread you posted.

• tcuda499

Posted April 22, 2009 - 06:20 PM

I did 75% distilled water,25% low tox antifreeze and water wetter.Small boil over (into catch bottle) in real tight slow single trackThis past week end. I think I will add another oz of water wetter and see.Gray,is it poss to run a small fan on a 07 yz with out messing with the stock electrical system?

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2009 - 08:19 PM

...is it poss to run a small fan on a 07 yz with out messing with the stock electrical system?

Only by running it from a battery.

• x2468

Posted April 23, 2009 - 02:01 AM

a lot of good info in this thread for almost any 450 owner that rides off-road. whatever make they may have. :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.