Yamaha the best ?

35 replies to this topic
  • dakynz

Posted June 02, 2009 - 01:57 PM

I have a 2007 Honda 450x and my buddy has the 2008 WR450.

Both bikes are great but definitely have distinct characteristics. First the Yami is better in mountain conditions, more of a technical bike. The Honda excels in desert riding. Anything with high speed, whoops, sand, etc..

Yami engine has a great powerband, hits a spot in the rev where it really picks up speed towards the top end. Yamaha is a bit more controllable and doesn't have as aggresive of a hit. Honda has power everywhere. Don't believe me... ride one. It will want to pull your arms out the first time out.

Overall I would take the Honda, but the Yami has its place and is a great bike. Every bike has its issues and valves is one of the things people say about honda's but the valves are cheap to replace and shouldn't deter anyone. Change the oil often and many bikes have gotten thousands of miles before having any issues.

Lastly, I'm partial because I bought the Honda. But my buddy refuses to switch bikes now because he states he likes the Honda more. Someone mentioned this before but the Yamaha doesn't turn well and that's his complaint and positive when comparing to the X. He has since sent his forks off to Racetech for the gold valves and spring which did make an improvement on bottoming resistance.

• P0ACHER

Posted June 03, 2009 - 07:02 AM

I've owned a '01 WR 426, a '02 YZ 426, a '03 WR 450 (a '06 Apex GT snowmobile too) and now a '08 WR 450. I've been very happy with Yamaha thus far. As mentioned, every bike has it's quirks and all bikes have their strengths/weaknesses, but I have to give credit to Yamaha for building some very solid and reliable bikes. It's easy to hop on other bikes and like a few of their characteristics in comparison to the Yamis. I just feel overall, Yamaha has it prioritized correctly: RELIABILITY, motor performance, price, handling, and comfort. (strike againt the seats.......I can't believe big Y can't build a comfy seat yet...:crazy: )

I do like Hondas frame/ geometry and handling.
I do like KTM's six speed gearbox and their out of the box street legal.
I do like Suzuki's cornering.
I do like Husky's efi system.

It would be awesome to make a Franken-bike out of all the manufacturers highlights. I would hands down, put the Yamaha powerplant in for the motor. Trust me, nothing sucks worse (for EVERYONE riding) when someone has a breakdown.

I tell my riding buddies that if they break down and need a ride back to the truck that they have to face backwards.:eek:
(Hey...I told them to just get a WR and be happy.)

• JACA

Posted June 03, 2009 - 10:57 AM

Maaan... you guys really make me want to buy a WR! I once rode a WR 450 '08 and it was a blast! If you say it's reliable than I'm starting to save money! Cheers to you guys :crazy:

• idamoh

Posted June 03, 2009 - 11:47 AM

I am gonna go out on a limb here and be the first guy to say I have some issue with Yamaha, mainly my 08 WR450.

I took it home and first had to tear it apart to get the new throttle screw in, uncorked the exhaust and intake (easy, but why?) After that I had to rejet it to account for uncorking the exhaust and intake.

At my weight (250 lbs) the suspension (which isn't so great to begin with) had to be redone. I first installed new springs front and rear. It felt better in the rear, but the front still completely sucked. I then tore the front apart myself to revalve and it is definitely better. Now that the front suspension has been brought up to snuff I think I am feeling how bad the rear suspension is, and will need to revalve it too.

My battery has gone completely dead twice. I just bought my third battery. My WR doesn't seem to want to charge the battery, and I can't figure out why.

It is also starting to leak coolant (just a little). I'll have to figure out this one. For now I've just been adding as the reservoir gets low.

Don't get me wrong, I now enjoy this bike. I'm mainly responding to this thread the way I did because there are too many guys just saying how great the Yamaha and the WR is. It just ticks me off that I had to jump through all those hoops to get the bike up to snuff. As far as I'm concerned the only thing I should have had to do when I bought it was respring the suspension according to my weight, and that's it.

My two cents anyway!

• SXP

Posted June 03, 2009 - 12:12 PM

I am gonna go out on a limb here and be the first guy to say I have some issue with Yamaha, mainly my 08 WR450.

I took it home and first had to tear it apart to get the new throttle screw in, uncorked the exhaust and intake (easy, but why?) After that I had to rejet it to account for uncorking the exhaust and intake.

At my weight (250 lbs) the suspension (which isn't so great to begin with) had to be redone. I first installed new springs front and rear. It felt better in the rear, but the front still completely sucked. I then tore the front apart myself to revalve and it is definitely better. Now that the front suspension has been brought up to snuff I think I am feeling how bad the rear suspension is, and will need to revalve it too.

My battery has gone completely dead twice. I just bought my third battery. My WR doesn't seem to want to charge the battery, and I can't figure out why.

It is also starting to leak coolant (just a little). I'll have to figure out this one. For now I've just been adding as the reservoir gets low.

Don't get me wrong, I now enjoy this bike. I'm mainly responding to this thread the way I did because there are too many guys just saying how great the Yamaha and the WR is. It just ticks me off that I had to jump through all those hoops to get the bike up to snuff. As far as I'm concerned the only thing I should have had to do when I bought it was respring the suspension according to my weight, and that's it.

My two cents anyway!

I pretended I was in the market for a new WR450 and did some web research. The following are the first two things that jumped out from the various resources available on the web (including here on TT):

1. The bike is severely restricted in stock form and it is a given that you have to work on de-restricting it. Did you miss this piece of information?

2. It's common knowledge that the factory suspension (on almost all brand of bikes) is set up for a 170 lb rider. At 250 lbs, you will overwhelm the suspension if you are more than an intermediate to advanced rider. This is not a WR450 issue, it's the same for all bikes. At your weight it is a given that you would have to (at a minimum) re-spring and revalve.

So, without bagging on you, you should have been aware of these "shortcomings" going into the deal. Kinda unfair to bag on the bike when you had the option of buying something else that was "right" out-of-the-box.

Regarding the battery and coolant leak, my 2.5 year old 07 is honking along just fine. Don't really have an explanation for why you are experiencing these issues.

:crazy: :eek:

• SXP

Posted June 03, 2009 - 01:17 PM

Excuse me?? I think the post is about whether Yamaha is the best. So the guy has valid points about his own situation.

Huh!?

If the post is about whether "Yamaha is the best", then any issues one raises for or against the bike factors into the equation (in his case negatively), and is open to discussion. IMO, the two points he made regarding the plugged-up nature of the bike and the suspension are common to all bikes and shouldn't sway a buyer one way or another.

Are you riding your X without jetting and suspension mods? I highly doubt it.

• idamoh

Posted June 03, 2009 - 02:17 PM

I pretended I was in the market for a new WR450 and did some web research. The following are the first two things that jumped out from the various resources available on the web (including here on TT):

1. The bike is severely restricted in stock form and it is a given that you have to work on de-restricting it. Did you miss this piece of information?

2. It's common knowledge that the factory suspension (on almost all brand of bikes) is set up for a 170 lb rider. At 250 lbs, you will overwhelm the suspension if you are more than an intermediate to advanced rider. This is not a WR450 issue, it's the same for all bikes. At your weight it is a given that you would have to (at a minimum) re-spring and revalve.

So, without bagging on you, you should have been aware of these "shortcomings" going into the deal. Kinda unfair to bag on the bike when you had the option of buying something else that was "right" out-of-the-box.

Regarding the battery and coolant leak, my 2.5 year old 07 is honking along just fine. Don't really have an explanation for why you are experiencing these issues.

:crazy: :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I simply responded to this thread because the previous 50 responses said nothing but good things about the WR. What's wrong with a little constructive criticism? Just trying to offer up some resistance!

I don't think it's unfair of me to bag on Yamaha for these issues i've raised regarding the WR. We all know it's choked up. Why? The KTM counterpart doesn't come choked up. Is it necessary?

Suspension on the WR is subpar to other bikes as well. Yamaha has great suspension on the YZ. Why not put YZ forks on the WR? The WR is a racing bike correct. My last bike was a YZ and all I had to do was respring for my weight. I didn't need to revalve because the YZ forks actually have a decent base valve. Yamaha puts that ridiculous spring/poor excuse for a shim stick thing in the WR base valve.

As far as the battery goes, it's probably something I'm doing. I'm gonna try and leave it on a trickle charger as much as possible. Maybe that'll do the trick.

• SXP

Posted June 03, 2009 - 04:23 PM

Your opinion counts and is well taken:thumbsup: I understand you are expressing your experiences and frustration with the WR. My point was that those two issues are pretty much common (to some degree or the other) across all brands and WILL have to be addressed down the line. I was just trying to keep a level playing field.

The KTM's I've ridden with have all had the restrictive snorkel in the exhaust removed and are rejetted. They ran like dogs (just like the WR, albeit a three legged one) without these mods. What I want to know is, how in God's good name do they make them emission compliant, while the Japs with their vast resources, cannot:bonk: :crazy:

And, I'm sure a stock X/EXC/KLX/etc. suspension would also have to be resprung/revalved to perform acceptably at your weight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tile Guy

Posted June 03, 2009 - 05:39 PM

yes it is. too many reasons

• P0ACHER

Posted June 04, 2009 - 07:18 AM

Yeah I am very much getting sick of pulling shit off of my WR's to make them run better than a Vespa. Once it's done the bike will rip your arms off. I've ridden CRFXs, EXCs and DRZs and I still feel the Yamaha has the best mill in the bunch. (once unplugged) As far as the suspension goes, I wouldn't mind a little more aggressive fork, but overall the Yamaha front and rear perform quite well. I'm at their target demographic weight though of 170-180lbs though too.

I don't know, nobody has it totally right yet. KTM and Husky are pretty f'in close though. Dual sport ready, 6 speeds, efi in the Husky.......as much as I love my WR, I could be swayed down the road by some of the other companys.

I hope Yamaha is listening, because as good as the WR is, it needs (has needed) some updates to stay current with what it's competition is offering.

• 2006wr450f

Posted June 04, 2009 - 08:43 AM

I have owned 4 yamaha’s throughout the years ‘75 MX125 ’80 DT50 ’82 YZ250 and a ’06 WR450F and never had a lick of problems with any of them. So IMHO the Yammies are the best bike out there.

• Charles De Mar

Posted June 04, 2009 - 09:21 AM

I've owned a '01 WR 426, a '02 YZ 426, a '03 WR 450 (a '06 Apex GT snowmobile too) and now a '08 WR 450. I've been very happy with Yamaha thus far. As mentioned, every bike has it's quirks and all bikes have their strengths/weaknesses, but I have to give credit to Yamaha for building some very solid and reliable bikes. It's easy to hop on other bikes and like a few of their characteristics in comparison to the Yamis. I just feel overall, Yamaha has it prioritized correctly: RELIABILITY, motor performance, price, handling, and comfort. (strike againt the seats.......I can't believe big Y can't build a comfy seat yet...:crazy: )

I do like Hondas frame/ geometry and handling.
I do like KTM's six speed gearbox and their out of the box street legal.
I do like Suzuki's cornering.
I do like Husky's efi system.

It would be awesome to make a Franken-bike out of all the manufacturers highlights. I would hands down, put the Yamaha powerplant in for the motor. Trust me, nothing sucks worse (for EVERYONE riding) when someone has a breakdown.

I tell my riding buddies that if they break down and need a ride back to the truck that they have to face backwards.:lol:
(Hey...I told them to just get a WR and be happy.)

The only thing that brings a Yamaha down is making it ALL BLACK!:eek:

• dirtrider999

Posted June 04, 2009 - 12:08 PM

well first off i love my wr and the restrictiveness isnt a big deal. you uncorck it once and you dont have to worry about it anymore. on the other hand the ktm's come unrestricted out of the box but out of the two people know know with ktm (excw240 and exrw450 i think) but have had over heating problems. personaly i would way rather have to free mods once then constintly deal with overheating. and by the way my freind put a overflow tank and cool blue coolent on his 250.and we rode together and his coolent came to a boil twice weras mine never did. but thas just my two cents

• BlackSheep

Posted June 06, 2009 - 07:24 PM

I have had every generation of "racing" four stroke Yamaha since they came out, YZ400, YZ426, YZ450, YZ450 af, WR450, WR450 af, and even a YFZ 450 each and every one of them have been completely reliable:worthy: But to be fair I also have had a few DRZ's and currently have a KLX450R and they have been outstanding bikes as well. Pick your favorite color.:thumbsup:

• mightymart

Posted June 07, 2009 - 03:06 PM

This is a public forum & you say what ever you like :lol: within reason !
The thread is "Yamaha the best ?" basically giving WR owners the chance to express there views good or bad (half knowing that most posts will be positive ) & also giving owners of other makes to give there views , but to be honest after 4 pages theres only a couple of negative posts towards the WR :thumbsup: .

Anyway heres my bad boy !
Posted Image

• rich1167

Posted June 07, 2009 - 03:27 PM

If you look at the bikes brands at any given RMEC enduro. They are 50% Orange. I rode my 05 WR450 last weekend in very tight and technical enduro. It's a pig. It handles poorly at best in tight conditions and feels way big and heavy, which it is. The wet weight of an 09 is 271 :thumbsup: But on the positive. It is a powerfull and good handling bike in wide open and desert conditions. The relibilty is second to non in 4 strokes. I have owned it since new and it has never stranded me. This week I am taking delivery on a 09 300XC-We and selling the WR. Its back to a 2 stroke for me. This bike is just to heavy for me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.