Yamaha the best ?

35 replies to this topic
  • mightymart

Posted April 19, 2009 - 03:18 AM

After looking at other forums they seem to have a great habit of slateing Yamaha off ??? maybe I just glaze over that sort of thing on this WR forum but i dont seem to see it on here ?

Well everyone heres you chance to tell the world what you think of your great Yamaha (Or maybe not !!!)

I will be honest I used to be brand loyal to Honda but after reading all the trouble with vavles etc on the CRF I decided to get a XR650R, Great bike, very well built & the finish is what I would expect from Honda but turned out to be too heavy for what i wanted a bike for, So I had no choice but to look at different makes to find the best.
After going to the dirt bike show late last year I got to look closely at all the latest dirt bikes & walked out of there thinking my Yamaha WR 450 07 is still the best bike in the world. The WR has the looks, the build quality & reliablilty all combined that the other leading makes dont seem to have at this present time.

• WR450FGreg

Posted April 19, 2009 - 04:43 AM

I love my '08.
I wouldn't even consider buying anything else.

As a matter of interest: Australasian Dirt Bike magazine recently voted the '09 WR450F the best 450cc enduro bike in their annual shootout.

Greg

• ww44wrf450f

Posted April 19, 2009 - 05:02 AM

:p They are soooo reliably fun! :lol:

• CanadianWR450

Posted April 19, 2009 - 09:50 AM

I got sold on Yamaha years, and years ago when I was into snowmobiling.
The yamaha sleds were not the bleeding edge fastest sled going then (and I'm talking unless your proffesionally racing the performace difference meant nothing to the average rider...), but they ALWAYS went, and never broke, and were low, low maintaince, and lasted forever.

Got into 4-wheelers....same thing...yamaha's just keep on going, and going, and going....

Picked up my first off road bike in 20 years just last year, and it's a 04 WR450, and I'm the third owner.

I put about 4,000 km's on it last year, and it worked good, worked great actually (until I realized what new rings, hone, cams, and exhaust does to these bikes just this week....lol), and I didn't do anything to it other then change the oil and every 500km's (filter every second oil change), and keep the air filter clean and oiled.

Started to smoke just a bit at high rpm's at the end of the season, so figured it was time to do the top end. The thing was in great shape internally, and the top end was never opened from what we could tell.
I have no idea how many miles/hours are actually on this bike.....

- rings were worn
- cylinder had lost most of the cross hatch
- cam chain was whipped, and it was the original I would say....whipped so bad that it slightly wore the cam sprokets.

Cam's themselves were perfect, as was everything else, and probably could have been reused.

Had engine shop rehone cylinder (was still well within spec), new Hotcams, rings, seals, gaskets, cam cain, valve guides, etc, and added a FMF powercore, and rejetted, and a adjustable fuel scew.

Now the thing is just so much fun it's crazy! loads of power, but still sooo easy to ride/control. You can just putt around all day long with kids on 80cc bikes, idle through nasty, nasty stuff, or, giver a twist, and hang on!

One big bonus to the 04 with steel frame.....easy to work on!!

I don't go to the track, so as far as I'm concered this bike does EVERYTHING good outside of the track.

I plan on keeping this bike for a long time yet, and when the time comes, I suspect it will be another WR 450 for me in the future...

I have to admit, the KTM 300 XC-W caught my interest, just from reading about them....but, I have never been on one, but it would have to be QUITE the machine to make me move away from Blue......

• davidl9999

Posted April 19, 2009 - 09:53 AM

Lemme see, in the Yamaha forum, you're gonna get told to buy a KLX... :lol:

I love my WR250F. :p

• banksc

Posted April 19, 2009 - 10:06 AM

Those that knock them don't own them....I own a 2009 WR450F...WOW. Best bike I have ever owned. Light, well balanced and minor mods for max power..This bike is the top in enduro. The last yamaha I owned was a YZ125 when I was a kid and it was a great bike. Since then I have had honda, suzuki and lately kawasaki....what was I thinking.

• mightymart

Posted April 23, 2009 - 10:20 AM

aaarrggghh, I have been on other UK forums today & boy do the britsh love a KTM :banghead: It seems as soon as you mention you have a WR they call it a KTM wannabe ? , I like all bikes & wouldnt slate a bike just for being a different brand.
Steel frame WR owners please dont get the wrong end of the stick here because I was already to buy a steel frame model after riding a friends 2004 which made me change from Honda, but I got talked in to buying a Ali frame as it would hold its value better, But surely Yamaha has moved with times & gone with an Ali frame to be better ? along with all the other Jap brands, Where KTM still uses a steel frame (Old tech ?)

• cubby

Posted April 23, 2009 - 12:43 PM

I have always liked yamaha bikes and quads but in the sled world I bleed a differnt color (skidoo) just because I don't want to own the four stroke that yamaha has out right now. Now if I had a extra $15000 to spend after I bought a new sled then hell yes I would own one. But anyways back to bikes loveed my very first yamaha 1978 scooter all the way up to my currant bike which is a 03 wr450. Always had good luck with blue. Your my boy blue your my boy:banana: :banghead:

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 23, 2009 - 01:07 PM

I just bought my 5th WR... I have been riding them for 8 yrs, racing them off road for 3 yrs. and you couldn't give me one of those orange POS's:busted:

I'll take my cookie cutter, mass produced blue pig any day over any other off road bike except maybe that new Husaberg but that's only if I had a spare $12k laying around.

• live4speed

Posted April 23, 2009 - 01:26 PM

yamaha's are great bikes...i loved my YZ450F...i know its not a WR, but its a Yammie...since then i have owned a RMZ450 and a CRF 450...and i can honestly tell you that other than a few minute items, the bikes are basically the same...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ironhorse

Posted April 23, 2009 - 08:22 PM

I just bought my first Yamaha, an 08 wr 450. Got about 80 miles on it. I've always wanted one and I think we're going to get along really well once I get it sorted out. Spent the last 10 years riding those 2 stroke POS KTMs :banghead: It has great power and steers well. Makes alot of noise when I'm riding compared to the smokers though.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 24, 2009 - 07:53 AM

and steers well.

This part confuses me... I love my WR but I think it turns like a dump truck

• Ironhorse

Posted April 24, 2009 - 03:32 PM

This part confuses me... I love my WR but I think it turns like a dump truck

Maybe I should have said it steers better than I thought it would. It isn't as quick as my 250 exc but I think it turns better than the 2004 450 exc that I have ridden.
I see you have had five of them. The dealer where I bought it says bring it back after ten hours for a valve adjust yet the manual says 600 miles or a month. What do you think?

• diegox450

Posted April 24, 2009 - 03:47 PM

2006 WR450

6500kms changed the first transmission kit
7000kms changed the timing chain.. valves still in std spec

Changed oil every 500kms, filter every other oil change, and always clean and lubed air filter

I ride in muddy conditions every week, 80 or 90 kms trails

Never, never, had a problem... I've changed the front sprocket oil seal and the water pump impeller shaft and seals only for precaution at 4000 kms...

Best bike I've ever ride.

There are lot of POS KTM's here, every one of them have different problems... water pump, starter engager, valves, decompressor... the two lasts 530 that came, were returned to the dealer... no way to hot start them....

Yammies keep going and going and going...

A little mud...

Posted Image

• jamiedneal77

Posted April 25, 2009 - 12:55 AM

I have always love KTM... I have my 450 KTM for sale. Getting an 09 WR 450 next Saturday. My brother has one and it is so easy to ride and fairly carefree- Yeah, I am 100% convinced that they are at least the better of the woods bikes. I had trouble chosing between the KTM 300 XCW-E and the WR, but you see my decision.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 26, 2009 - 04:13 PM

I see you have had five of them. The dealer where I bought it says bring it back after ten hours for a valve adjust yet the manual says 600 miles or a month. What do you think?

Follow the manual for a valve check, don't assume or even anticipate an adjustment will be needed but if it needs some shimming learn to do it yourself.... the dealer is expensive and it's something I like to see or verify myself.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted April 26, 2009 - 07:36 PM

After looking at other forums they seem to have a great habit of slateing Yamaha off ??? maybe I just glaze over that sort of thing on this WR forum but i dont seem to see it on here ?

Well everyone heres you chance to tell the world what you think of your great Yamaha (Or maybe not !!!)

I will be honest I used to be brand loyal to Honda but after reading all the trouble with vavles etc on the CRF I decided to get a XR650R, Great bike, very well built & the finish is what I would expect from Honda but turned out to be too heavy for what i wanted a bike for, So I had no choice but to look at different makes to find the best.
After going to the dirt bike show late last year I got to look closely at all the latest dirt bikes & walked out of there thinking my Yamaha WR 450 07 is still the best bike in the world. The WR has the looks, the build quality & reliablilty all combined that the other leading makes dont seem to have at this present time.

Much the same as you, when it came time to replace my 650R as much as I wanted it to be a CRF, I just couldn't do it. Won't go into the CRF issues, but it just came down to peace of mind in reliability and knowing that the WR was a very good bike anyway. The thing I really like about it is that it reminds me of the 650R when I want it to act like one, but when it get's tight, thankfully it doesn't remind me of it. All the bikes have issues in one form or another and Yamaha is no different. It just comes down to which issues are you willing to deal with. There aren't too many bad bikes out there no matter which way you go. :banghead:

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted April 27, 2009 - 12:29 PM

You are only going to get one kind of answer in this forum.
I am a moto newbie, but picked yamaha due to experience with their snowmobiles, and quads, but especially because I have a friend who worked for yamaha(who loves their stuff), and another friend who's family is a "yamaha family" and has been riding everything out there for many decades..

• mightymart

Posted April 27, 2009 - 02:28 PM

You are only going to get one kind of answer in this forum.

It certainly looks like it !
But I started the thread because I am really pleased with my WR & other forums seem to say "yer my POS is the greatest & finish it off with its better than a Yamaha :banghead:

THE PENNY HAS JUST DROPPED !!! The reason they say there POS is better than a Yamaha is because :banghead: YAMAHA :banghead: sets the bench mark that they all follow :banghead: :banghead:

• ranger85

Posted April 27, 2009 - 04:42 PM

Starting from the begining, I've had a XR100, XR200, KDX220, KTM400EXC, KTM300EXC, TRX450R, KTM525EXC, and now I currently own a Raptor 700, a YFZ450, and a WR450 and I am really impressed by these Yammies. Out of all these machines, the Yammies have been the most reliable, most fun to ride, and most carefree. You really can not go wrong with a Yamaha, after riding these, I can't believe I ever rode anything else.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.