low compression on wr400 1998

5 replies to this topic
  • sniper695

Posted April 18, 2009 - 06:02 PM

i got my wr400 out of storage. i tried to start it, it was giving my trouble so i was using starter fluid. it would start and run good for a couple of seconds then stall. i tried spraying some carb cleaner in carb to clean it up put it back together and now it has very little compression. i can kick it over with compression release lever very easily, almost like a small 2 stroke. what could cause that?

• tcmII

Posted April 19, 2009 - 06:45 PM

Check the adjustment of the compression release lever and make sure the release at the cylinder head is not stuck.

• Birdy426

Posted April 19, 2009 - 07:22 PM

i can kick it over with compression release lever very easily, almost like a small 2 stroke. what could cause that?

I assume you mean "without" the compression release. If you are kicking with the compression release lever pulled, it should kick over very easily...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sniper695

Posted April 19, 2009 - 07:49 PM

sorry i meant with compression it is very very easy. without compression release pulled in it kids easily, it has some resistence but nothing like it should. before i had to bounce my whole weight to get engine to spin now i can do with my hand. the compression release moves at engine head. is that all i need to check or am i missing something?

• sniper695

Posted April 20, 2009 - 04:34 PM

anyone the compression release moves fine. i just happened between one minute and the next

• juliman

Posted January 23, 2011 - 07:26 PM

this is no use to you now, but next time takew out the plug and pour a small amount of oil down the hole, turn the engine over slowely, and the oil should seal the rings, bringing back compression

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.