Just bought a 2000 yzf 426 have a couple questions

23 replies to this topic
  • phart2005

Posted April 23, 2009 - 07:02 AM

I read your post and didnt see this posted. IMO, the 2k is the best of the modern 4 stroke bikes **for what you want to do** which is very much the same as what I do. Mostly trails for me, dunes, roads, etc. I am no motocrosser for sure.

The 2000 has stainless steel valves, which will be more durable than the titanium valves that the 01+ bikes have, and they are a fraction of the price when you do need to replace them. If you are good at starting with the manual decomp, keep it. You can lug without stalling like an auto decomp will, and in the woods you will do just that from time to time.

And be sure to lug it, the 426 will rev, but she's got a ton of low end power, so find it and enjoy it.

IMO, dont put a 13 on the front. I tried it becuase I had one that fit, and I was right to the rev limiter in 5th gear. With a 14, I have never gone that fast. I think you would be happier with a 50 tooth in the rear, and the 14 on the front. I just bought a 51 to run with my paddle wheel/tire, i think that will be perfect.

Do the 01 clutch mod, you will be very happy. My clutch was a light switch, on or off, now it is smooth and linear from bar to released. Very predictable too. The parts will be around $100.

If you dont know when the valves were checked last, do it. Its not too bad of a job to check them, and if they need to be adjusted, thats not too bad too. If they start to run tight, you risk them leaking and then you will burn one.

I changed my piston out, just because, but once I opened it up, I dont think i needed to. Im not sure if I am happy yet either, the Wiseco I put in rattles a lot because its forged, and needs to be looser in the bore. But now i know that it isnt 9 years old and going to break from age.

Also, feel out your range with the stock gas tank. My bike gets 42 miles per gallon so I have not had issues in the woods, since we go from one place to another town with gas.

Enjoy your bike!

• mike_dean

Posted April 23, 2009 - 03:12 PM

Riding my 426 very hard in the sand on fast trails I ran out of gas at 44 miles, so the range will vary.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted April 23, 2009 - 03:38 PM

If you are good at starting with the manual decomp, keep it. You can lug without stalling like an auto decomp will, and in the woods you will do just that from time to time.

Say what? How does an auto-decomp cam cause the bike to be more prone to stalling?

• grayracer513

Posted April 23, 2009 - 09:48 PM

Say what? How does an auto-decomp cam cause the bike to be more prone to stalling?

I doesn't. I don't know where that came from, but the auto decomp mechanism has no ability to stall the engine. The YZ450 stalls more easily than the 426 because the 450 has almost no rotating mass, and a flywheel smaller than a gas cap.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.