To keep or not to keep??

6 replies to this topic
  • zippor25

Posted April 18, 2009 - 05:02 PM

So I bought a 07 YZ450F recently and no matter where I ride(no track ridding only trails) I cannot seem to get it past 3rd gear. Not that there is a problem with the bike, its just so fast that I never need 4th or 5th. I was wondering if I should downgrade to a 250 or just stay in low gears? Im a big guy like 280 so I'm not sure if a 250 is big enough.

• 642MX

Posted April 18, 2009 - 05:09 PM

Shift up a gear and ride faster... :lol:

At 280 lbs, your on the right bike. Nothing wrong with using 1st & 2nd. :p

• sacfelix

Posted April 18, 2009 - 05:09 PM

Once you trade down, if you do, you will be regreting you did once you get use to the bike. The extra power would be ideal for your weight. I have a 06 YZ450 and Im 5'11" and 204 pounds. I ride the bike on trails and I also race desert with it. Its a great bike!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rjcook450

Posted April 18, 2009 - 06:40 PM

i had same problem after adding drd pipe, i geared down by going to a 50t rear sprocket, makes third grear more usable for me now.

• brAapingyz450s

Posted April 25, 2009 - 09:01 PM

haha keep it things a beast but maybe thats the problem just re-gear it deffintly dont go down! esp after your already on a 450 you'll be bouncing that thing on the rev limiter to try and make up for that power difference you were use 2 REGEAR IT!!!

• hillclimbguy

Posted April 25, 2009 - 10:38 PM

I agree, go bigger on the rear sprocket to tighten up gear ratios. Maybe a 50 or 51.

• DPW

Posted April 26, 2009 - 05:41 AM

gear the bike down and add the GYTR Off-road flywheel weight

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.