Rusty Exhaust Bolts???

10 replies to this topic
  • Original_Prankster

Posted April 17, 2009 - 05:20 PM

What have you guys found to be the best way to remove rusted bolts from the Exhaust Manifold. Right now i have mine soaking in PB Blaster, until tomorrow, Will the fact that i have Aluminum Heads make it easier to remove the bolts? I have a 6.0 liter LQ4

How do you guys do it?

• brad the best

Posted April 17, 2009 - 06:18 PM

aluminum and steel fuse because they are dissimilar metals , the two in combination are generally terrible .

just keep soaking them in penetrating oil . don't freak out if you break one , it happens .

• Chickenhauler

Posted April 17, 2009 - 06:21 PM

Blue tipped wrench is your friend......

Actually, the aluminum heads and steel bolts will make it worse-the glue themselves together.

• Original_Prankster

Posted April 17, 2009 - 06:52 PM

Blue tipped wrench is your friend......

Actually, the aluminum heads and steel bolts will make it worse-the glue themselves together.

Torch?

• Chickenhauler

Posted April 17, 2009 - 07:04 PM

Torch?

If you have one handy.....never know, they could come right out without any trouble. I was sure I'd have to apply some heat to the manifold bolts on my 1980 350 when I put new manifold gaskets in, but they came out like a charm.

• Original_Prankster

Posted April 17, 2009 - 07:11 PM

If you have one handy.....never know, they could come right out without any trouble. I was sure I'd have to apply some heat to the manifold bolts on my 1980 350 when I put new manifold gaskets in, but they came out like a charm.

I Do have one handy, Should i start up the truck first and warm it up seeing how the Aluminum will heat up and expand faster than the bolts?

I'm hoping they won't be too bad, my truck's an 01, but i'm just preparing for the worst

• Biddyboo

Posted April 21, 2009 - 07:42 PM

Tap tap tap repeat use a small hammer. Today 366 left bank one came out 3 had studs sticking out tap tap tap came out 4 broke off [not me the reason for repair] 2 came out w/ left handed drill bits two behind shock mount heli coiled good luck tap tap tap

• Original_Prankster

Posted April 22, 2009 - 04:57 AM

Well for some amazing reason, i snapped approximately none of the bolts and managed to pull the 2 that were previously snapped off, I'm a PB Blaster Believer. I got the 2 broken ones out by welding a nut om the end of them then wrenching them out. Headers went on amazingly, new bolts went in with plenty of Anti-Seize, THANKS GUYS!!!!

• Smacaroni

Posted April 22, 2009 - 06:23 AM

I'll give you the one piece of advice you probably won't use.
But I'm mentioning it because it could have saved me an hour or more of labor.
I'm replacing the clutch on a friends Ford Explorer, to remove the tranny, you have to pull the exhaust, the easiest way to pull the exhaust is to remove Y-pipe at the exhaust manifolds.
Three of the bolts came out without much problem (using a breaker bar and/or impact wrench) the fourth was the biggest pain in the ass.
I have the breaker bar on an extension on a socket and all of a sudden, the whole mess slips like the nut is rounded off. I tried again and each time it would slip.
So I assume the old rusted nut is crap and there's nothing I can do about it. I cut it off.
Later, I found out the nut was just fine, the socket had cracked.
So if you're wrenching and it seems like the nut has rounded off and is slipping, check the socket before you do anything drastic.

If you do break one off, the best thing to use to drill it out is a right angle drill. You can buy one or rent it, but it's the best tool for the job if you want to leave the engine under the hood. Use the exhaust manifold as a jig, lightly seat all the nuts on the studs, then use the largest bit that will fit in the hole to center the tip, drill gently just long enough to get a good start. Then drill with a 1/8" and move up to the bit for the tap you need to use.

• ubu

Posted April 22, 2009 - 09:14 AM

Well for some amazing reason, i snapped approximately none of the bolts and managed to pull the 2 that were previously snapped off, I'm a PB Blaster Believer. I got the 2 broken ones out by welding a nut om the end of them then wrenching them out. Headers went on amazingly, new bolts went in with plenty of Anti-Seize, THANKS GUYS!!!!

I have become a big believer in PBBlaster and patience. I've broken way too many bolts by being in a hurry.

• Magdezracer

Posted April 22, 2009 - 01:39 PM

I now use Kroil for my stuck and rusted bolts. It works better than PB Blaster in my experiance. I use it at work all the time.

Do a google search for Kroil

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.