Is the gas cap supposed to have a ball in it?

3 replies to this topic
  • nickeenoo

Posted April 17, 2009 - 02:49 PM

My gas tank seems to leak a lot through the gas cap. Its been doing it for a while so I took it apart and there is nothing in it. Should there be a check ball/spring in it?

Thanks.

• davidl9999

Posted April 17, 2009 - 02:50 PM

I have a checkvalve in the overflow tube to prevent that. I didn't check the cap, but I don't think there's anything in it besides a hole.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Todddob

Posted April 17, 2009 - 04:21 PM

I have one of those stubby gas cap vents and last year on my 2 stroke it never leaked, on my 450 it leaks after about the 2nd lap, even at 1/2 tank??? Maybe it's because the gas got sucked up so fast with the yz, the 450 just sips it.

• nickeenoo

Posted April 17, 2009 - 05:56 PM

Thanks,

Maybe I'll put a ball and a light duty spring in there and see if I can stop some of the leak. I have already changed to a shorty vent hose and it did no good. Now instead of leaking on the front fender it just leaks on the tank itself.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.