Nevada

Nevada Dual Sport Registration - DMV Not Registering

202 replies to this topic
  • Extreme Outdoors

Posted April 17, 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hi. I'm trying to get people together from Nevada while the 09 Legislature is in session to stop the DMV from refusing to register off road bikes and other OHV's that have been converted into dual sport street legal bikes.

According to Baja Designs, they started hearing about the denials about the 1st of the year. (late 2008 - 2009)

I would like to know if anyone here in Nevada is interested in helping to get the DMV to change it's policies by contacting their state representatives, governor’s office and the DMV director on the subject.

I also like to know when the DMV stopped the registration of converted dual sports and if you have one registered in Nevada, what the make model year and when you 1st registered it.

Please contact me here or extremeoutdoors@cox.net

• Donda

Posted April 17, 2009 - 05:36 PM

Wow that sux, I'll be watching this thread with interest. Good Luck!

• Freaky Reaky

Posted April 20, 2009 - 03:27 PM

Is this happening in Vegas or all of Nevada?

I just converted a WR450 with a Baja Designs kit and had no issue getting it registered. That was back in August of 08.

• gottaski

Posted April 21, 2009 - 04:45 PM

from what i have heard this started in Nov last year. it seems we went from being super easy to register to being like Kalifornia.

• Extreme Outdoors

Posted April 22, 2009 - 11:34 AM

Thank you for all your replies. We are trying to figure out why all of a sudden the NV DMV stopped registering the bikes. I will forward this info to Senator Hardy, who I'm working with on this issue.

• Drinkn_Buddy

Posted April 22, 2009 - 03:05 PM

WHY!!!

It is completely legal in the state of Nevada to register a "custom" bike. There is ABSOLUTELY no law on the books preventing this.

Sounds like the DMV is playing god again......

• Drinkn_Buddy

Posted April 22, 2009 - 03:06 PM

Might want to post this over in Ca section also. Alot of Northern Nevadans post up over there.

• Extreme Outdoors

Posted April 23, 2009 - 06:47 AM

When talking to the DMV, it looks like it depends what is in the Manual, if it states not for on road use. For our own efforts to register side by sides after conversion to a Low Speed Vehicle meeting FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) this is what the DMV is stating as well.

The DMV states that because the manufacture says they are not for on road use, the state takes on the liability.

We are ruled by lawyers and even though there may not be a law against it, we have now morphed into a society that you must have a law that allows it.

When we got our law drafted as suggested by the DMV, they fought tooth and nail against it.

Now they want a manufacture to convert them transferring liability to the manufacture.

• Drinkn_Buddy

Posted April 23, 2009 - 08:01 AM

When talking to the DMV, it looks like it depends what is in the Manual, if it states not for on road use. For our own efforts to register side by sides after conversion to a Low Speed Vehicle meeting FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) this is what the DMV is stating as well.

The DMV states that because the manufacture says they are not for on road use, the state takes on the liability.

We are ruled by lawyers and even though there may not be a law against it, we have now morphed into a society that you must have a law that allows it.

When we got our law drafted as suggested by the DMV, they fought tooth and nail against it.

Now they want a manufacture to convert them transferring liability to the manufacture.

I thought that when you took a bike or whatever and "modified" it for dual sport use, you were in fact creating a custom vehicle. Wouldn't the liability transfer to the person that modified it??? If i got hurt on my dual sported 300 it would be my fault... That's right, i forgot.... We live in a time where nobody takes personal repsonsibility anymore.....

• gottaski

Posted April 24, 2009 - 01:32 AM

I thought that when you took a bike or whatever and "modified" it for dual sport use, you were in fact creating a custom vehicle. Wouldn't the liability transfer to the person that modified it??? If i got hurt on my dual sported 300 it would be my fault... That's right, i forgot.... We live in a time where nobody takes personal repsonsibility anymore.....

ah. i see 2 problems with what you said.

you are trying to be logical and assuming people take responsibility for their own actions!!!

there is no logic to government (other than growing the government) and our society has lost its common sense. i was born way too late...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Extreme Outdoors

Posted April 29, 2009 - 10:30 AM

Ok guys 'n' gals. Here is the skinny. We have been trying to get Side By Sides registered as Low Speed Vehicles. We are also trying to restore dual sport registration by the DMV.

We had a bill that died due to incorrect information provided to our reps by the DMV. We are now trying to get a new amendment inserted into an existing transportation bill.

Assemblyman Hardy asked me to do a summary of a bill. Nothing is final yet, just wanted to give you a heads up if we need support. Your reps are going to probably need to hear from you in numbers to get this passed.

Also I'm new to thumper talk, so when we are ready maybe some of you who are can take the lead and get support drummed up by the dirt bike community.

As the fed closes down more areas, we are seeing approved roads like in the national park service that are open only to street legal vehicles and one of the reasons we want to see dirt bikes and side by sides registered in Nevada so we may all enjoy these roads.

I can be reached at extremeoutdoors@cox.net or this thread.

• Extreme Outdoors

Posted April 29, 2009 - 10:34 AM

A rought draft Assemblyman Hardy asked me to write.

Summary

Amendment would allow owner-modified Side By Side vehicles and golf carts to be registered and restore owner-modified dirt bikes, built to FMVSS to again be registered in the State of Nevada.

Owner-modified low speed vehicles must meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, No. 500 at C.F.R. 571:500 and NRS 484.527

Owners who modify their own vehicles become the manufacture and as such must affix to a prescribed location that the vehicle meets FMVSS in effect at the time of manufacture and that the vehicle is a Low-Speed Vehicle.

Amendment affirms existing low-speed vehicle laws that modified Side By Sides and Golf Carts must be capable of speeds not less than 20MPH and not greater than 25MPH and if registered, a low-speed vehicle may be operated upon a highway where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. A person shall not operate a low-speed vehicle upon a highway where the posted speed limit is greater than 35 miles per hour, except to cross such a highway at an intersection.

Amendment allows the Department of Motor Vehicles to collect fees for inspection of vehicles as they deem necessary and to issue vehicle identification numbers as the department sees fit.

Gasoline powered low-speed vehicles are exempt from emissions testing as are street motorcycles.

Amendment instructs the Department of Motor Vehicles to restore the registration of owner-modified dirt bikes built to FMVSS for on-road motorcycles and allows the department to collect fees for inspection of vehicles as they deem necessary and to issue vehicle identification numbers as the department sees fit.

Side by side utility vehicle defined. The term includes a side by side utility terrain vehicle which has been modified to comply with the standards specified in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, No. 500 at C.F.R. 571:500

1. Designed with a roll cage and a minimum of two seats installed side by side
2. Designed to be driven on a variety of terrains
3. Having at least four wheels in contact with the ground;
4. Having the capability of four-wheel drive

Golf cart” defined. The term includes a golf car vehicle which has been modified to comply with the standards specified in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, No. 500 at C.F.R. 571:500

1. Has no fewer than three wheels in contact with the ground; and
2. Is designed to carry golf equipment and no more than four persons, including the driver.
3. A vehicle which is customarily used on golf courses.

• newbieinreno

Posted April 29, 2009 - 02:15 PM

Wow guys I thought i was pissing into the wind...I am glad to know
I'm not alone out here,,,,I will follow up with a congress critter if I can find one...

thanks again for jumping on my rant this morning!!!

start 'em up....let's get this crap fixed

Mike in Reno

• Drinkn_Buddy

Posted May 01, 2009 - 01:12 PM

It is official, you cant register a dirtbike in Nv. They are running the VINS ala California style and if it comes back as offroad only they will not issue you a title and plates.

I will be contacting my Nevada state representative to voice my concern on this. Absolutely ridiculous.....

• Drinkn_Buddy

Posted May 01, 2009 - 01:13 PM

A rought draft Assemblyman Hardy asked me to write.

Summary

Amendment would allow owner-modified Side By Side vehicles and golf carts to be registered and restore owner-modified dirt bikes, built to FMVSS to again be registered in the State of Nevada.

Owner-modified low speed vehicles must meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, No. 500 at C.F.R. 571:500 and NRS 484.527

Owners who modify their own vehicles become the manufacture and as such must affix to a prescribed location that the vehicle meets FMVSS in effect at the time of manufacture and that the vehicle is a Low-Speed Vehicle.

Amendment affirms existing low-speed vehicle laws that modified Side By Sides and Golf Carts must be capable of speeds not less than 20MPH and not greater than 25MPH and if registered, a low-speed vehicle may be operated upon a highway where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. A person shall not operate a low-speed vehicle upon a highway where the posted speed limit is greater than 35 miles per hour, except to cross such a highway at an intersection.

Amendment allows the Department of Motor Vehicles to collect fees for inspection of vehicles as they deem necessary and to issue vehicle identification numbers as the department sees fit.

Gasoline powered low-speed vehicles are exempt from emissions testing as are street motorcycles.

Amendment instructs the Department of Motor Vehicles to restore the registration of owner-modified dirt bikes built to FMVSS for on-road motorcycles and allows the department to collect fees for inspection of vehicles as they deem necessary and to issue vehicle identification numbers as the department sees fit.

Side by side utility vehicle defined. The term includes a side by side utility terrain vehicle which has been modified to comply with the standards specified in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, No. 500 at C.F.R. 571:500

1. Designed with a roll cage and a minimum of two seats installed side by side
2. Designed to be driven on a variety of terrains
3. Having at least four wheels in contact with the ground;
4. Having the capability of four-wheel drive

Golf cart” defined. The term includes a golf car vehicle which has been modified to comply with the standards specified in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, No. 500 at C.F.R. 571:500

1. Has no fewer than three wheels in contact with the ground; and
2. Is designed to carry golf equipment and no more than four persons, including the driver.
3. A vehicle which is customarily used on golf courses.

Please keep us up to date and let me know if there is anything i can do. Also, is there a bill number or something i should reference???

• newbieinreno

Posted May 01, 2009 - 03:31 PM

welcome aboard drinkin' buddy...yesterday I went RMS a great bike shop
here in Reno...they were all stoned...they had no clue...in fact after
I paid them to balance my tire....all the weights fell off on the 1st ride
today!!!!!!!!!!! yes I'll go back they are good bunch...just typical kids!!
I swung by Honda to p/u an oil filter for my now street illegal xr600r and
they knew all about..and they to were pissed!!!!!!!!!1

keep on pushing...we know it makes no sense to say OK pollute the
forests,,,not the petroleum based asphaltic highways!!!!!

the legislators need to hear about the dualsport industry and growth
across the country...oh yeah...and all the $$$$$ we want to pay those
&^$##%&**&^%% to let us ride on the pavement every now and then!!!

• bajaguylv

Posted May 02, 2009 - 06:25 AM

i posted on this already, , the papers you got when new have to be turned into "reconstructed title" or some other bs. Have your local dealer do that for ya and go down to NHP, check off that there is: horn turnsignals brakelights ki low beams, mirrors. then walk into NV DMV & barrage them with a pile of papers.
ps My crf 450x is no match for squad cars!
Never mind all my jiberish! Wanna buy a SIC legal 450 x? ONLY 10k today!
baja designs
scotts performance
renthal
clarke
dunlop
white bros
..........................................!

• Extreme Outdoors

Posted May 02, 2009 - 06:57 AM

There is not bill number yet, I was contacted by the LCB working on cleaning up my draft and they had some questions.

She said the DMV has always fought against this type of thing and it was her opinion thst it would not pass again. She also said because of the budget, it would cost the DMV about 4 to 5 mllion a year.

Accoring to her the DMV has cut staff and adding more people is the reason it would cost more.

I did mention that the MC has long been registered and only stopped late last year.

I'm not holding my breath on this one.

• Drinkn_Buddy

Posted May 05, 2009 - 09:15 AM

posted on this already, , the papers you got when new have to be turned into "reconstructed title" or some other bs. Have your local dealer do that for ya and go down to NHP, check off that there is: horn turnsignals brakelights ki low beams, mirrors. then walk into NV DMV & barrage them with a pile of papers.
ps My crf 450x is no match for squad cars!
Never mind all my jiberish! Wanna buy a SIC legal 450 x? ONLY 10k today!

This process can no longer be done. That's what i am griping about. Nevada has adopted the same VIN check procedures and database that is being used in California. They run the VIN and if it comes back as "off road only" due to the last digit, they will not give you the inspection paperwork you need to get your reconstructed title.

There are even guys reporting that they are having issues with renewing tags on bikes that were already legalized previously.... If you know of a way around this, i would like to know.

• Nick Marlow

Posted May 05, 2009 - 07:58 PM

Same here as i have a XR400 i was hoping to convert!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Nevada

Singletrack? 2 days in St. George, 1.5 days in Vegas by mitchb

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Southwest
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Nevada

Plating a bike in Nevada by dyrtmon

• 11 replies
Forums
Photo
Nevada

MY BIKE WAS STOLEN LAST NIGHT…. 9/1-2/2014 Las Vegas. by ARMRD X

• 12 replies
Forums
Photo
Nevada

Mesquite MX by 00yzryder

• 0 replies
Where 2 Ride

Pinenut road

2339-2343 Pinenut Road, Gardnerville, NV 89410, USA

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.