IDEA to make a wr450 street legal in CA

21 replies to this topic
  • gta18

Posted April 16, 2009 - 07:12 PM

I was thinking of going the route of getting an Engine that is CARB certified and mounting an electric motor to my 2006 wr450 to make it a custom bike (HYBRID) to make a street legal bike here in CA. Then after the paper works done you can stick your original engine.... what do you guys think?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 16, 2009 - 07:23 PM

I think that would be illegal. We can't encourge anything illegal, can we?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 16, 2009 - 07:41 PM

its simple, ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN :p

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 16, 2009 - 09:14 PM

I was thinking of going the route of getting an Engine that is CARB certified and mounting an electric motor to my 2006 wr450 to make it a custom bike (HYBRID) to make a street legal bike here in CA. Then after the paper works done you can stick your original engine.... what do you guys think?

You still have to do a 'special contruction' VIN registration. Not a simple task. Three inspections, two with bike stripped down to near nothing. And you would in the end be lying, and cheating.
Isn't that what our enemies (ecodicks) are doing?

• DrzDasher

Posted April 16, 2009 - 10:41 PM

Just put blinkers and all that jazz and ride it without a plate. :p

• GCannon

Posted April 17, 2009 - 01:07 PM

I think you missed your time frame!

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted April 17, 2009 - 03:34 PM

Make it a HYRRID, and get a "Carpoll Access OK" sticker too!!!

Posted Image

• gta18

Posted April 17, 2009 - 03:36 PM

thanks for the replies. guess its not worth it. unless I have all the time in the world. :p

• gta18

Posted April 17, 2009 - 03:36 PM

I love california Man! lots of things to learn and challenge is here... hehe

• redhurricane

Posted April 18, 2009 - 05:11 PM

Move to a state that still allows bikes to be plated. That's what I did.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gta18

Posted April 19, 2009 - 10:48 AM

so you plated your bike in what state? I was also thinking of nevada. What about the drivers license?

• maxtherat

Posted April 19, 2009 - 12:48 PM

Your best chance is to buy a bike already plated in another state. Bring it back to California and just go through AAA to transfer the title. The only stipulation is that Ca. requires that the vehicle, and we can call it a vehicle since it is already title as a motorcycle, has 7500 miles on it before bringing it into the state. I have read where some guys contacted trail tech and they programed a computer that had a certain number of miles on it. I am not implying that TT did it for the purpose of doing something illegal, rather they filled their customers need by representing the miles that these guys had on their bikes. I only suggest AAA since it is quicker and they would be less likely to give you a hard time. They would probably just want to verify VIN and try to sell you more insurance. Just my .02 and it has worked it the past.

• 2lcf

Posted April 19, 2009 - 08:42 PM

I hate to say it........California SUCKS....!!!!........it seems the ONLY good thing about California is the weather..........and free everything if your so inclined..........sorry just me ranting cuz I want to street legal my 08 WR also.....:p :cry: :lol:

• Regalman

Posted April 20, 2009 - 10:07 AM

When I plated my WR in MI I had to apply for a new title. I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm pretty sure it will no longer say 'for off highway use only' on it. :p

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 20, 2009 - 11:51 AM

I bought a bike in Oregon where they typically do not brand the title "For off road use only".... brought into my local licensing agent here in WA state (by the way, WA is as hard as CA when it comes to plating a WR) and they asked if it had a OR plate on it already... I said yes, they handed me a WA plate, I just got my new WA title in the mail and it does NOT say "For off road use only" on it:thumbsup:

We call it title washing here in WA but I don't know if it would work in CA. Here it's all about the title and what it says on it... it's like they don't even punch ion the VIN or pay attention. I found it's also better to go to an inner city licensing agent where most of them have hardly ever issued an ORV tag :p

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 20, 2009 - 11:59 AM

I don't know if it would work in CA.

Technically no you can not do it in CA because the bike does not meet on road emissions...:p

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 20, 2009 - 12:19 PM

Technically no you can not do it in CA because the bike does not meet on road emissions...:p

That is also the case, supposedly, up here but it does not appear to throw up a flag when the VIN numbered is entered into the system... it's seems to be the scarlet letters on the title itself that keep them (licensing folks) informed up here:smirk:

• gta18

Posted April 20, 2009 - 03:25 PM

and you still have the out of state plate?

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 20, 2009 - 03:33 PM

and you still have the out of state plate?

Me? Yes but I can only assume that it's no longer a valid plate # in Oregon's system...

• gta18

Posted April 20, 2009 - 03:52 PM

so you have it plated here in CA? and how about nevada? how are they in plating these ohv's?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.