03 WR450 diet?

10 replies to this topic
  • argibson

Posted April 16, 2009 - 05:43 PM

Here is the deal...I have a 2003 WR450, which I really enjoy, but would like to lighten up. The lights will run when the bike is running, without a battery. Since I dont care about the useless electric start (not even reliable to restart a warm engine), I am going to lose the 5.5lbs by taking the battery out.

My question is this...since I dont care for the electric start, and only want to retain the headlight & taillight, what else can I easily remove that will save me some weight? For instance, am I able to take the starter motor off without serious modification and/or fabrication?

Anything else that is commonly removed from these bikes to lighten them up?

Thanks in advance to all the non-WR450 newbies out there.
Ryan

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 16, 2009 - 09:18 PM

Tires: Off road tires are three times heavier than MX race tires
Tubes: Non HD tubes combined are 2 lbs lighter
Steel: replace all the steel fasteners with a Titanium kit
Steel: replace all the steel shafts (axles, steering stem, etc) with Titanium kit
parts
Bars: go to single layer aluminum
Starter and Battery: eliminate them

Now, you've managed to reduce about 19 lbs total. Not much really.

For about $ 2400.00 bucks.

Just get a second lighter bike for the $1400 bucks, like a used 2001 YZ250, and keep the rest.

To loose a significant amount of weight, it must be part of the bikes design.

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted April 16, 2009 - 10:49 PM

Many of those weight reduction ideas are free....
you could dump the battery and starter for free.....

the headlight and tail light would reduce a little weight. As will the kick stand.

Ride with a 1/2 tank of gas or less too.... At most of the local riding spots in my area you cant get more than 15 minutes from the parking lot.

I lost 3lbs off my WR with a YZ exhaust system....

It would be near impossible to loose the 45lbs it would take to equal a YZ250, but getting 1/2 way there might be realistic.

• argibson

Posted April 17, 2009 - 03:51 AM

Excellent stuff, thanks guys. The free and/or cheap stuff sounds like my plan. I have already taken the battery out. Riding with less gas is a good suggestion.

Anyone know where I can pic up a used and/or takeoff YZ exhaust that will fit the 03 WR? What years YZ stock exhaust should I be looking for?

Also going to remove the starter....but no clue how to do. I am a semi-retired road racer, and while great with FI roadrace bike tech, I feel stupid around the WR. Anyone have a nice write up with pics and/or an easy tutorial?

Thanks again, this has been very helpful.

• bg10459

Posted April 17, 2009 - 04:45 AM

ncmountainman YZ'd a WR a few years ago. He shaved just about every pound you could on a WR....... and then sold it for a YZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • argibson

Posted April 17, 2009 - 05:36 AM

Yeah, but I really do like the WR. Have mine plated and need the taillight and brake light. Just dont care for the e-start and was curious what else I could take off or replace on the cheap to lose some lbs. I have done the free mods and do mostly trail riding, dual sport events, etc...the WR is perfect for this, just would like a little lighter.

Anyone know where I can pic up a used and/or takeoff YZ exhaust that will fit the 03 WR? What years YZ stock exhaust should I be looking for?

Also going to remove the starter....but no clue how to do. I am a semi-retired road racer, and while great with FI roadrace bike tech, I feel stupid around the WR. Anyone have a nice write up with pics and/or an easy tutorial?

Thanks!

• jjj109

Posted April 17, 2009 - 06:57 AM

Its going to be a real pain trying to get the WR close to an mx bike weight. Its an extra pound just in the wiring alone. Beside the electric start and everything that goes with it the engine is heavier then its brother 2003 yz450f engine cause it has 5th gear in the trans. That right there I would think be at least 7lbs to 10lbs heavier because of the gears. I wouldnt put Ti bolts kits on your bike cause they wear at a extremely fast rate and have to be replaced often. Unless you have no budget then go for it.:p

• Pasta

Posted April 17, 2009 - 07:49 AM

I also have a 2003 WR450. I have put it on a diet as well. The battery is the easyest thing. you can remove it ot get something small and lighter.

http://forums.rmdra.....php?f=3&t=4002

You can also change the rear fender out for a YZ fender. You can add a led tail light. You would be suprised how much that rear fender weighs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...emZ270061672316

You can also put a YZ tank on it. its smaller and lighter. The only thing you need is new shrouds and a seat from a 2005-06 WR250/450 and a longer fuel line.

• argibson

Posted April 17, 2009 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I would def not do any of the Ti stuff...just looking at removing the starter and replacing the exhaust with a YZ exhaust possibly.

Anyone have a good write-up on how to remove the starter?

Anyone have a YZ exhaust take-off that they want to sell?

• ch_250

Posted April 21, 2009 - 02:42 PM

you could also take a dump before you ride.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 21, 2009 - 03:54 PM

you could also take a dump before you ride.

I always do but inevitably have to take another one half way through the ride so I am even lighter when I come back:lol:

Coolant recovery system can be removed as well....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.