Bike Rattling sound 08 yz450

7 replies to this topic
  • silentZ

Posted April 16, 2009 - 07:59 AM

Hey,
I was at the track this weekend and my friend's wife was watching us ride and she said that my bike sounded different than everyone else's. She said it sounded like something was rattling. I think it may be the chain slack, but as far as I can tell, the slack is within spec. It's an O ring chain. Does anyone know the actual measurement on distance from the chain guide to the bottom of the chain? Also, I am running Ironman sprockets.

thanks for any help

• mitchicle

Posted April 16, 2009 - 08:55 AM

http://www.thumperta...ght=chain slack

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2009 - 08:59 AM

Does anyone know the actual measurement on distance from the chain guide to the bottom of the chain?

1.9~2.3" from the rear slider bolt to the bottom of the lifted chain, measured with the rear wheel off the ground.

It's in your manual.

• silentZ

Posted April 16, 2009 - 11:49 AM

Thank you!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeyT750

Posted April 16, 2009 - 04:59 PM

I want to bet it is not ratteling but the special noise is the Slapping chain. Just a thought. I went through it and then got a non o ring. MUCH O BETTER O

• silentZ

Posted April 16, 2009 - 06:46 PM

I meausred it and it came out to be 2" exactly. So you're saying that replacing the O ring chain with a non O ring will stop the slap sound? I will replace them all as a unit, but there is little wear and since Ironmans last a long time, I will not be replacing them soon.

• grayracer513

Posted April 16, 2009 - 07:48 PM

O-ring to non-sealed or vice-versa will not stop the slapping. Real chain slap typically occurs when you ride at low rpm/heavy throttle, "lugging" it.

• Kawirider37

Posted April 18, 2009 - 09:45 AM

I have the chain slap when I'm doing just what gray racer mentioned. Lugging it. Usualy it;s when I pull on the track in 2nd gear at a low speed. I did have a jingle noise that I found to be the top nut on the shock. The top one of two that you use to adjust the rear shock. It came loose and was rattling when I hit the throttle.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.