kx 125 trans oil

7 replies to this topic
  • brianandmell

Posted April 16, 2009 - 06:49 AM

I do understand there is alot diff ideas on this but i just need simple advise. My son has a 03 kx 125. I have been using yah. 20-50 2stroke trans oil with no prob. I was in a friends yah shop last week and needed some new oil and he gave me Honda's HP 80-85w 2-stroke trans fluid. I wasn't thinking and got it. I opened it up yesterday and noticed it was red and stoped. I don't want to put this in and have probs and have to clean the clutches, sugestions please?

• KDXKRIS

Posted April 16, 2009 - 07:05 AM

That is fine to use in your KX and most likely will give him better clutch feel than 20W50. Also, ATF type "F" works great (Use it in my KX250)in 2 stroke trannies and is very inexpensive. Change often is the most important thing. Many trans fluids are dyed red.

• brianandmell

Posted April 16, 2009 - 07:23 AM

thanks for the info, i just didn't want to mess something up.

• DieselSJ

Posted April 16, 2009 - 08:46 AM

I do understand there is alot diff ideas on this but i just need simple advise. My son has a 03 kx 125. I have been using yah. 20-50 2stroke trans oil with no prob. I was in a friends yah shop last week and needed some new oil and he gave me Honda's HP 80-85w 2-stroke trans fluid. I wasn't thinking and got it. I opened it up yesterday and noticed it was red and stoped. I don't want to put this in and have probs and have to clean the clutches, sugestions please?

It is rumored that this is really just repackaged ATF, which does explain the red color. IDK if anyone has ever had it tested to see if that is true though.

• brianandmell

Posted April 16, 2009 - 09:23 AM

But the main question is, is this a better oil than what i have been using and is it safe to use in his bike? We have a big weekend of riding and i just don't want to mess anything up.

• SAPPERS

Posted April 16, 2009 - 10:00 AM

I'm not real sure of that exact oil. But save yourself some money, take it back and swing by the auto parts store and pick up 3 qts of Type F for the same price as the one factory stuff. At least we know this oil is proven and works. Do a search and you'll see.

Or read this caption
Posted Image

• KDXKRIS

Posted April 16, 2009 - 12:14 PM

But the main question is, is this a better oil than what i have been using and is it safe to use in his bike? We have a big weekend of riding and i just don't want to mess anything up.

As stated above.......yes.......totally safe and I think you'll find the clutch will not drag as much as using 20W50 motor oil. Also as stated above....save some money and go get Walmart or any type F ATF.

• cxcmoto

Posted April 16, 2009 - 12:32 PM

Posted Image

With that said, ATF has all the right components to work in a wet clutch/fricton environment. Many people use it successfully.

I think the most important thing is to change it regularly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Kx 125 Build by NzJohny

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Easy question for KX250 gurus! by sandy450

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Help me locate an oil leak! kx250 by bbb222

• Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Will KX450F wheels fit my 04 kx250 by KawiRider98

• 16 replies
Forums
Photo

kx 125 clutch basket help by mhogan1000

• 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.