Motor switch to green sticker frame

27 replies to this topic
  • JSanfilippo

Posted April 17, 2009 - 10:15 PM

Well, almost.
It's not the "engine family" that's green or red stickered. It's the individual bike model, as identified by the VIN code.

I understand that. However...

Would you agree that CARB would expect the serial number on your '05+ WR's engine to match the engine family number on the executive order?

Out in the field its probably not a big deal and chances are pretty slim of an LEO checking both the vin and engine serial number.

The crap we've gotta deal with in CA :p

• davidl9999

Posted April 17, 2009 - 10:22 PM

I understand that. However...

Would you agree that CARB would expect the serial number on your '05+ WR's engine to match the engine family number on the executive order?

Out in the field its probably not a big deal and chances are pretty slim of an LEO checking both the vin and engine serial number.

The crap we've gotta deal with in CA :lol:

Well, CARB would never see your bike. A ranger or DMV might, and probably only if they had some wild hair to make someone miserable. But yes, that is the premise behind the law of not modding *any* registered vehicle in CA beyond CARB certified stuff if the vehicle hasn't been given an exception (and there are exceptions for experimentals and one-offs, but not for manufactured vehicles even if they've been modified to be something else).

While I like having cleaner air in L.A. than when I was a kid, when it comes to OHVs, CARB = :p

• rkwfxd1

Posted April 18, 2009 - 05:59 AM

I would think this would be similar to dropping a late model ls2 engine into a 1965 Chevelle. The Chevelle is exempt from smog so you never have to get a smog check regardless of what engine is in it and it is not illegal to make that swap.

Since all 02's and earlier are green sticker bikes and exempt from smog compliance I would think it would be legal to put an 03 motor into it.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 18, 2009 - 03:45 PM

I would think this would be similar to dropping a late model ls2 engine into a 1965 Chevelle.

You can put the LS2 in a '79 camaro if ya wanted to because the LS2 is CARB/EPA certified. :p

Obviously stuffing a 396 with a hot cam and no smog controls on that '79 isn't kosher...I miss the 25 year rolling exemption :lol:

Sorry for the OT

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hillclimbguy

Posted April 19, 2009 - 10:15 PM

Well after spending some time on the Yamaha Web parts web site. This wont work unless I spend a whole bunch of money on 02WR46 parts.
Tank, radiators, and the list goes on, dont share the same part numbers.
This is too big a project for me to take on at this time. I thank you all for your input. I am just stuck with red sticker.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 19, 2009 - 10:45 PM

I dont plan on getting rid of the bike. Have too much time into it. Besides its just a great bike. I hate to give up riding for the summer. And cases have been replaced. No numbers. This bike was a basket case when I got it.

Moving to a 05/06 frame will work just fine. I did this very thing last year and its pretty standard.

I bought a yz250 for parts from one guy. Then I bought some other parts from another guy. Lastly, I bought a frame on ebay for $100.

After I switched everything over, I walked into DMV and told them that I wanted to register a bike that I had built from parts. They checked the VIN number, and it was good. I then filled out a standard DMV form explaining where I got the parts from.

I had a green sticker for the bike 30 mins later. I only had to take the bike to DMV so they could verify the VIN and the engine serial number. They need to see it before the will register it.

This is a normal dmv process. It does not matter what the engine serial number is, its the VIN on the frame that matters.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 20, 2009 - 06:27 AM

It does not matter what the engine serial number is, its the VIN on the frame that matters.

BINGO :p

• hillclimbguy

Posted April 20, 2009 - 12:54 PM

Moving to a 05/06 frame will work just fine. I did this very thing last year and its pretty standard.

I bought a yz250 for parts from one guy. Then I bought some other parts from another guy. Lastly, I bought a frame on ebay for $100.

After I switched everything over, I walked into DMV and told them that I wanted to register a bike that I had built from parts. They checked the VIN number, and it was good. I then filled out a standard DMV form explaining where I got the parts from.

I had a green sticker for the bike 30 mins later. I only had to take the bike to DMV so they could verify the VIN and the engine serial number. They need to see it before the will register it.

This is a normal dmv process. It does not matter what the engine serial number is, its the VIN on the frame that matters.

Thanks for the info.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.