Replace The Crank???

10 replies to this topic
  • adamwagar

Posted March 02, 2003 - 09:51 AM

If Yamaha decides the woodruff key problem is the result of a bad batch of cranks, would it be acceptable for them to replace the offending cranks???

Or, should they replace the entire motor??? Like Honda did with the VF500.

• xr600r

Posted March 02, 2003 - 10:01 AM

i'll take the new motor....the thought of having my motor tore down to replace the crank, on a brand new bike.
ewwwwwwww.

• Hick

Posted March 02, 2003 - 10:29 AM

Why replace the crank? Is it getting damaged when the key shears? I'm sure the crank is the same PN for the YZ, so I don't see the crank as being the source of the problem, but that is pure speculation on my part.

More speculation: The problem is the WR stator doesn't fit the crank end properly.

:)

• Dutch

Posted March 02, 2003 - 10:32 AM

Did you post that just to say "OFFENDING CRANKS"?
Does have a nice ring to it - maybe that should be our new race team name.

• wr250rr

Posted March 02, 2003 - 10:52 AM

You would think it would be easier to machine the flywheel to match the crank if that is the the problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrTwister

Posted March 02, 2003 - 11:41 AM

Hey Dutch,
look for the headline on the fornt of "DIRT"

"YAMAHA PULLING CUSTOMERS CRANKS TO FIX WOODY PROBLEM"
:)
cheers
Lachy

• Wrench

Posted March 02, 2003 - 11:51 AM

Give me the parts I'll put them in, yamaha had their shot.

• KiwiThumper

Posted March 02, 2003 - 11:57 AM

Mr Twister,

LMAO, Thats really good. Where you an editor in a past life ?

• SMD

Posted March 02, 2003 - 05:21 PM

One of the many reasons I love this place...........ahh humor. :)

• Number82

Posted March 02, 2003 - 05:34 PM

If Yamaha decides the woodruff key problem is the result of a bad batch of cranks, would it be acceptable for them to replace the offending cranks??? Or, should they replace the entire motor??? Like Honda did with the VF500.

I think the problem is the one-way starter clutch feeding 100% of backfire torque into the starter motor. (Mine backfired, I heard the starter motor spin backwards, and that was all she wrote.)

If it takes a new crank, I just want the parts. I'd rather split the cases myself than have a flat-rate mechanic chisel them apart. Mine's at the dealer right now only because I want a warranty claim filed. I only hope it doesn't get stolen or crashed while it lives in their parking lot.

• adamwagar

Posted March 03, 2003 - 04:47 AM

I would take a new motor. I don't want Yamaha messing with my crank. LOL. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.