'00 XR650R Oil capacity

8 replies to this topic
  • Keo

Posted March 01, 2003 - 08:35 PM

Tonight I did my first oil change since I bought my Pig a couple of months ago (only rode it a couple of times), and was wondering if anyone has had the experience I had. I followed the factory service manual, and it says it should take 1.6q for an oil and filter change. However, I had to put 2q in to get the dipstick to read just below the high mark. I did idle the bike for about 5 minutes to make sure I got an accurate reading. I would like to avoid any seal problems in the motor from overfilling, so if anyone has an opinion on this please let me know. BTW I used castrol GTX 10W40 non-synthetic oil. Any issues there?

TIA,

Keo

• dudenstumpy

Posted March 01, 2003 - 09:07 PM

I would advise against putting in more than the recommended
amount ( from 3 years of reading tales of woe on the net).
1800 mls takes mine to one inch below the upper mark on the dipstick. This, according to the manuals is fine and there is no need to take it right to the top mark.
Put in 1200 mls, run bike for ten seconds, then add 600 mls.

cheers, Craig

• Portland_650R

Posted March 07, 2003 - 09:37 AM

A couple of notes -
Fluids expand when heated, so the level will increase from cold;
With many engines, it's necessary to wait a couple minutes to check the oil, so it has time to drain back.
With mine, I can't get it all in, so I put in yes about 1.2 liters, kick it over a bit, then work in the rest. You could easily drain some out. I wouldn't leave it overfull.

• marcw

Posted March 07, 2003 - 07:31 PM

Make sure the engine is warm before you change the oil then it will take nearly 2 quarts with an oil filter change. Your experience was the same as mine

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dudenstumpy

Posted March 07, 2003 - 09:45 PM

I am not sure what 2 quarts equates to in metric, but if it
is more than 1.8 litres then I advise against. I drain
my oil when it's hot, and tip the pig side to side several
times. It then does not need more than 1800mls.

cheers, Craig

• marcw

Posted March 08, 2003 - 05:16 PM

Being a Brit that lives in the US I can converse in both metric and imperial. 2 qts is just over 1.8ltr I put in about 1.7ltr :)

• FooBarr

Posted March 08, 2003 - 08:34 PM

All I know about metric is I prefer my Guiness in pints! :)

• CoreyClough

Posted March 09, 2003 - 04:53 AM

That's two "N's", and it's better form the tap! :)

• FooBarr

Posted March 09, 2003 - 05:20 PM

Guinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnness! Hic! BuRP! It don't get no better than that.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.