dr 200 oil change question

7 replies to this topic
  • coueswallace

Posted April 14, 2009 - 02:27 PM

If this has been covered, forgive me I could not find it.

I have a 06 dr 200, I don't have the service manual. I changed the oil today, and noticed there seems to be two drain plugs. One is screwed into a plate that has three bolts going into the bottom of the case on the left side. The other is to the right side and screws into the bottom of the case. I pulled them both and re-filled the crankcase, but I wanted to make sure I did not drain something else like the the transmission. The fluid appeared to be the same in both drains, but the one on the right held more volume.

Can someone just verify that I did not drain something I should'nt have

Thanks
Scott

• Bob Onit

Posted April 14, 2009 - 10:02 PM

The engine and transmission share the same oil.
I'm guessing the cover with the three screws is probably the oil filter/strainer cover.

I suggest you pick up a repair manual. It's a must have item if you plan to maintain and repair your bike. :p

• coueswallace

Posted April 15, 2009 - 07:46 AM

thanks

If they share fluid do they have seperate oil fill places and seperate drains. I actually have a manual I just cant find it. I have looked for the last two days. I want to ride it today but I don't want to chance it. Any one with a manual that could check for me.

Thanks

• Bob Onit

Posted April 15, 2009 - 01:51 PM

thanks

If they share fluid do they have seperate oil fill places and seperate drains. I actually have a manual I just cant find it. I have looked for the last two days. I want to ride it today but I don't want to chance it. Any one with a manual that could check for me.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the DR200 but 4 strokes generally share the oil between the engine and gearbox, with the exception of some Harleys, older Triumphs, ect:

If you know the engine oil capacity then simply fill it to the specs and check it after it warms up for a few minutes.

Make sure you use a good quality "4 stroke motorcycle engine oil"
Other oils may have "friction modifiers" which will raise hell with the clutch assembly because the DR has a "wet clutch" which means the clutch assy is in oil.

Hope this helps.

• JcbKarl

Posted April 28, 2009 - 01:39 PM

Which drain plug should you pull or should you pull both? I just bought a used DR200, the previous owner didn't have the manual. I have a manual on order, but it's backordered and don't know when I'll get it and I need to do an oil change. Is there anyone who knows about these plugs? The only one that even shows up on the Suzuki parts diagram is the one that screws into the round cover for the oil screen. I guess that's another question - should I clean the screen now too or is that just every 10,000 miles or something?

Thanks

• djebel

Posted April 29, 2009 - 06:16 AM

The correct drain plug is the one with the plate with 3 bolts holding it. the other plug is to hold the spring and pin for the gear shifter barrel. check if u have Drained it out as well. U can take out the 3 bolts and remove the plate. there is a screen that might old some gunk. :banghead: (mine did) make sure u have the o ring or liquid gasket to seal it back.:banghead:

• Chris03HD

Posted February 08, 2011 - 10:34 AM

The correct drain plug is the one with the plate with 3 bolts holding it. the other plug is to hold the spring and pin for the gear shifter barrel. check if u have Drained it out as well. U can take out the 3 bolts and remove the plate. there is a screen that might old some gunk. :ride: (mine did) make sure u have the o ring or liquid gasket to seal it back.:thumbsup:

I'm bumping this older post with a question about your comment.
I had to drain the oil because of a leaking petcock that eventually drained the gas tank and filled the cases. I obviously needed to drain (remove) both plugs and also cleaned the screen while it (3 bolt plate) was apart.

Mine is calling for 10w40 on the filler cap but my question is, does this fill location (just above the oil filter), fill both the trans AND cases?

Thanks in advance. :lol:

• tbolt

Posted February 14, 2011 - 10:41 AM

Yes.

With the bike upright and level, fill to the F level on the sight glass. Be careful -- this bike is extremely easy to overfill.

Replace the fill cap. Then start the bike and let it run for a minute or two. Kill the engine, let the oil settle, and re-check the level on the sightglass.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.