98 WR400 Exhaust

13 replies to this topic
  • gator4life108

Posted April 14, 2009 - 09:53 AM

I have done my research and everyone on here says the exhaust for bike doesnt come with exhasut packing.

But when i got my bike i took the three screws off the back of the exhaust and pulled what I belive to be the spark arrestor. wrapped around the screen tube was some packing that hadnt been taking care of.

My question is, my bike is really loud, and want to quiet it down......not sure if I should buy more packing and put it around the screen or find a silencer.

Also where do I find a GYT-R silencer.

Thanks for the help,
Mike

• Birdy426

Posted April 14, 2009 - 08:49 PM

If your silencer has packing in it, it is not a stock WR part. That's good. Silent Sport packing works really well, and yes, you should repack. I have seen several instances where the silencer is not packed and eventually the can just sort of turns into a giant crack from acoustic fatigue...

• BAHeron

Posted April 15, 2009 - 08:43 AM

If your silencer has packing in it, it is not a stock WR part. That's good. Silent Sport packing works really well, and yes, you should repack. I have seen several instances where the silencer is not packed and eventually the can just sort of turns into a giant crack from acoustic fatigue...

Can packing be added to the stock muffler? My WR400 is getting louder everyday.

• gator4life108

Posted April 15, 2009 - 09:46 AM

Well im kind of noob, do i wrap the packing around the screen of the spark arrestor?

• Birdy426

Posted April 15, 2009 - 05:12 PM

Can packing be added to the stock muffler? My WR400 is getting louder everyday.

If it's a stock US Spec muffler, no. Much like your car, there are a series of baffles, not packing, inside that stainless steel monstrosity. If yours is an aluminum can, as opposed to stainless steel, then you either have an aftermarket can or a YZ can (pretty common swap for the WRs), in which case you can repack. I would not just add packing, though, I would totally repack it.

• Birdy426

Posted April 15, 2009 - 05:13 PM

Well im kind of noob, do i wrap the packing around the screen of the spark arrestor?

Depends on what kind you buy. If you buy the sheet stuff, then yes, you wrap it around the screen and stuff the whole thing back int he can. if you go with the silent sport, it's in little pieces, so you put the screen in the can and pack the packing in around it.

• gator4life108

Posted April 15, 2009 - 06:58 PM

Depends on what kind you buy. If you buy the sheet stuff, then yes, you wrap it around the screen and stuff the whole thing back int he can. if you go with the silent sport, it's in little pieces, so you put the screen in the can and pack the packing in around it.

Thankyou sir.....picked up the packing today....much appreciated

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted April 15, 2009 - 11:01 PM

Wear platex gloves or surgical gloves if ya got 'em. The 'glass packing will make you itch

• tcmII

Posted April 19, 2009 - 06:54 PM

If you have a stock WR pipe then you do not want or need to pack it. You mentioned that the pipe has three screws on the back this hold in the spark arrestor which look kind of like a screen funnel. The opening is about 1 1/2 in diameter and should have a insert in it. The stock insert has hole about the size of your pinky and when installed the bike will be very quite.

I have the stock pipe with the GTYR insert. The opening is about 3/4" and is louder at about 91db, but is still much quieter that with no insert.

If you post a picture of your pipe we (I) can tell you if it is a stock pipe.

• gator4life108

Posted April 19, 2009 - 07:08 PM

If you have a stock WR pipe then you do not want or need to pack it. You mentioned that the pipe has three screws on the back this hold in the spark arrestor which look kind of like a screen funnel. The opening is about 1 1/2 in diameter and should have a insert in it. The stock insert has hole about the size of your pinky and when installed the bike will be very quite.

I have the stock pipe with the GTYR insert. The opening is about 3/4" and is louder at about 91db, but is still much quieter that with no insert.

If you post a picture of your pipe we (I) can tell you if it is a stock pipe.

Here are some pics, the bike didnt come with an insert, just what you see here.

Also upon further research into my bike, I am really starting to think my bike is a YZ, not a WR like the guy said who sold it to me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• tcmII

Posted April 20, 2009 - 01:22 PM

The item in your last picture is the spark arrestor. It looks a little different than mine, but mine is '98.

If it's is a WR there should be a bolt hole on the side not shown. That bolt would hold in the insert.

I couldn't post pics so I found you some links to ebay that may help.

Here's a link to a pic of the o4 wr exhaust on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/...2|39:1|240:1318

here is a link to a ProMoto insert on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/...2|39:1|240:1318

This link is for a page with pics of Yamaha Accessories http://www.brenhamya...aha-wr450f.html

This link is to a Yamaha vin decoder that may help yahama decoder ring

• gator4life108

Posted April 20, 2009 - 07:03 PM

Yep its a YZ, thanks for the link for the V.I.N.......looking into the exhaust items, just fighting with the water pump right now, thanks for your help.

• gator4life108

Posted April 21, 2009 - 08:02 AM

The item in your last picture is the spark arrestor. It looks a little different than mine, but mine is '98.

If it's is a WR there should be a bolt hole on the side not shown. That bolt would hold in the insert.

I couldn't post pics so I found you some links to ebay that may help.

Here's a link to a pic of the o4 wr exhaust on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/...2|39:1|240:1318

here is a link to a ProMoto insert on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/...2|39:1|240:1318

This link is for a page with pics of Yamaha Accessories http://www.brenhamya...aha-wr450f.html

This link is to a Yamaha vin decoder that may help yahama decoder ring

so in your opinion should i return the packing i bought and get an insert....eitheir pro moto or gtyr insert. local dealer has them for decent money+military discount.........performance wise will the insert be better than the packing?

• gator4life108

Posted April 21, 2009 - 01:51 PM

well i went ahead and picked up a gyt-r insert today....only $30......thanks for your help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.