WR 450 Drag bike

17 replies to this topic
  • ukuhunta

Posted April 13, 2009 - 09:47 PM

Well Im making the extreme move to NOS on my already very fast wr. I drag race the bike and Im looking for mostly some people that may have done this or are considering to come up with some ideas on it. Ive just purchased the nitrous express single cylinder wet kit and Im just waiting for it to arrive. I drag race this bike because I can and I actually win alot on it, two time points champion in the bike ET class. I started racing the quarter mile by being talked into by the local shop after a 320 dollar speeding ticket and started winning, got hooked and than starting dropping the coin into the bike.

Here is what I have already from a stock 2005 wr450:

523cc Max Power Ice cube stroker
Ported and polished head
Web racing cams
44mm bored FCR carb
FMF 4.1 pipe
Vortex ignition
Trailtech comp. with tiny little shift light

I also am running Sunoco 110 octane, got 16t in the front and a 38 in the rear which used to be just great, Id hit 4th pinned at about 11k rpms at the line but now im launching super hard now im hitting the line at 9400k rpms so Im definately gonna have alot more to tinker with on the bike.

Here is what my best time has been so far: 12.52 at 104mph in the quarter
I got a cheater slick,swingarm extensions and also lowering link in the rear and I also strap the front end and yes Im also a nut case on the side....lol

I just wanted to post this to get it started, Ive read tons of threads of guys doing nitrous but never actually seen one get done so wish me luck and Ill keep everyone posted.
Im also gonna run a window switch, a delay box nad of course im gonna start with a ten shot and see where it ends up, what the hell. I keep winning as it, just won again due to a red light start so Im just gonna put the 150 bucks i won back into the bike.

• Lennie

Posted April 14, 2009 - 01:59 AM

Show us some pics of you bike, its sounds badass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ukuhunta

Posted April 14, 2009 - 06:46 AM

yeah will do, only issue i have right off the bat is there is not nearly enough room in the boot to just tap the nozzle into it so ill have to drill and tap the intake which i dont like too much but only way it will work

• YamaLink

Posted April 14, 2009 - 08:35 AM

Pics and YouTube video!!

• DRX350

Posted April 14, 2009 - 08:43 AM

That is an impressive time!!

For your Nitrous, are you going throttle actuated or by a switch? I'd suggest trying to fit a purge valve on there, especially with 11,000 rpm trap revs, moisture in the line causing a miss would not be fun.

One thing that caught my eye was the low trap speed, it's obvious you have a good RT, but maybe add a tooth or two in the rear.

• ukuhunta

Posted April 14, 2009 - 06:14 PM

Nah im maxed out as it in 4th gear with the gearing i got, i put the 40t back on and it did not help, its just what it is with this bike. Im gonna go with a wide open throttle switch, either a shift counter/delay box and also a cluth switch, im gonna put at least 3 switches on the bike just to be safe.

• ukuhunta

Posted April 14, 2009 - 06:26 PM

I believe this to be true about most dirt bikes/supermoto bikes if you try to dragrace them. You will easily run out of gear and your top speed will not be nearly as good as the first half of the race. This is the case for me for sure. My best 60ft time has been 1.72 which is just about even with most sport bikes, at least the ones ive races against. R1's and such, not the most skilled drag racers but competant none the less. I may have to drop the gear in the back after the NOS but Ill have to see about that one.

• ukuhunta

Posted April 14, 2009 - 06:28 PM

And reaction time has nothing to do with your top speed, how hard you launch, how good you shift and how well you hit your shift lights are the key. I do shift to 5th after the line nad keep it pinned for another half a mile but no idea what speed im going, I think around 120 maybe....lol

• ukuhunta

Posted April 14, 2009 - 06:30 PM

Posted Image

Heres is a pic. Nothing too new here, just what ive run for a year and half now. Ill post some pics when I start putting the NOS on and when I put the swingarm extensions on,lowering link. I install them two days before the race.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dirtbike_Dude

Posted April 14, 2009 - 06:43 PM

that is a sweet bike you got there! :p A video would be great!!! can't wait to see once you get that nitrous hooked up :lol:

• ukuhunta

Posted April 14, 2009 - 07:42 PM

I dont have a clue about putting a video up on you tube but yeah i cant wait, i just purchased the kit on flea bay, brand new, smoking deal on a nitrous express 4 cylinder carb kit so ill actually be able to sell some of the extra nozzles as well...Ill keep everyone posted.

Anyone have any idea if i could extend the boot between the carb and the motor cause id hate to tap into the motor to mount the nozzle. Maybe Eddie will see the post and give us a few words of wisdom. Just wondering if you drill and tap. how you keep anything from entering the motor? Maybe some guys have some ideas there.

• DRX350

Posted April 15, 2009 - 06:18 AM

And reaction time has nothing to do with your top speed, how hard you launch, how good you shift and how well you hit your shift lights are the key. I do shift to 5th after the line nad keep it pinned for another half a mile but no idea what speed im going, I think around 120 maybe....lol

Good thing you have all that suspension for the sand box!!!

RT always helps, the faster you get to going, the faster you'll go.

PS: My family has a long history of drag racing (50 years). My up bringing included a 120mph pass in a Camaro before I knew my ABCs. Drag racing a dirt bike sounds real good right about now

PPS: Sweet bike dude!

• ukuhunta

Posted April 15, 2009 - 07:28 AM

Hey thanks...no sand box at our track but yeah its alot of fun, good way to spend a Saturday once a month.

• MaddogYZ

Posted April 15, 2009 - 08:54 AM

That bike must shred on the street, what your estimate HP right now, around 65?

• Frostbite

Posted April 15, 2009 - 10:31 AM

I looked at NOS for a cross country race (against 100mph+ snowmobiles) on my 400. I borrowed a kit from a friend, but didn't install it bacause of the danger in a crash, and the fact that I had to install an electric fuel pump on the bike. Most NOS kits that I have seen require a spray of fuel to be injected with the spray of NOS. Does your kit mention this?

• YamaLink

Posted April 15, 2009 - 10:42 AM

I betcha someone will come along and video you. Tip: please do not have them overlap your bike's awesome thumpy sound with obnoxious death metal soundtrack.

Play "Back in Black" by AC/DC....but bring it down to 1 or 2 when you launch and powershift down the strip!! :p

I dont have a clue about putting a video up on you tube but yeah i cant wait, i just purchased the kit on flea bay, brand new, smoking deal on a nitrous express 4 cylinder carb kit so ill actually be able to sell some of the extra nozzles as well...Ill keep everyone posted.

Anyone have any idea if i could extend the boot between the carb and the motor cause id hate to tap into the motor to mount the nozzle. Maybe Eddie will see the post and give us a few words of wisdom. Just wondering if you drill and tap. how you keep anything from entering the motor? Maybe some guys have some ideas there.

• ukuhunta

Posted April 15, 2009 - 06:22 PM

Lol, Im old school hard rock to the core as well....Yes the kit i bought is a nitrous express kit, set for a 4 cylinder R1 but will work just as well on my bike but ill only use one of the 4 nozzles. And yes it comes with the fuel pump. that is one of the major keys to the whole system. And yes the bike rips on the street, it definately wants to pull your arms off the bike for sure and I have to say the Max power ice cube is the best thing ever. Not one single problem at all and its going on two years now. Of course it was pricey but you definately gotta pay for the best.

I have no idea on the HP rigth now but Im thinking in that range, 60 plus I bet if its pushing those times at the track. I can destroy a yoshimura built DRZ400 cranked out to about 502 i thnk it is, but built by yoshimura himself.

• ukuhunta

Posted April 18, 2009 - 08:11 PM

Yeah the package is in the mail and on its way and i just ordered some smaller shots, 10hp and 15hp but no way ill make this race, two weeks from now but you never know.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.