Chain rub

I put a primary drive x-ring chain on and the thing rubs really bad in the chain block. So much that in about 300 miles it rubbed through the master link clip which resulted in a snapped master link and fortunately no case damage. I was hoping the block would wear in but it hasn't seemed to, it still rubs a lot. Do all of your chaing rub really bad too? Right now the chain guide and block is all stock .

For anyone that has gone to a TM Designs block does your chain show rub marks on the rivets as well?

Thanks

It sounds like something else may be the issue: a rubber chain rub block will not 'wear out' a master link in 300 miles.

- rear wheel not on in straight

- very worn sprockets

- overly tightened chain

Could be poor wheel alignment but the sprockets or chain tension don't have anything to do with the side rubbing, new chain and sprockets anyhow. I'll have to take a closer look to see if the alluminum frame around the chain block is possibly bent in as well.

Stupid question but you do line up the axel blocks on the same lines counting back from the rear correct?

• 2 months later...

I bought a 05 Wr450 f a few months ago that has the same problem, I noticed the outside edge of the masterlink worn very thin. Checked wheel alighnment which was Ok, bought a new rubber glide block , also installed a new masterlink ,The chain is stock. And after just one days ride , The new masterlink is wearing. Anyone know what's going on?

Had a similar problem on my wifes bike when I replaced the chain and sprockets. Actually the new chain was a little wider than the original. So I broke out the trusty Dremel and ground away a bit of the material of the wear block where it was making contact with the side of the chain. Problem solved. Perhaps you might be able to do something along those lines. Good luck.

I put a primary drive x-ring chain on and the thing rubs really bad in the chain block. So much that in about 300 miles it rubbed through the master link clip which resulted in a snapped master link and fortunately no case damage. I was hoping the block would wear in but it hasn't seemed to, it still rubs a lot. Do all of your chaing rub really bad too? Right now the chain guide and block is all stock .

For anyone that has gone to a TM Designs block does your chain show rub marks on the rivets as well?

Thanks

Myself and two fellow riders got the x-ring chain. I drive a wr 450, one rides and ktm 200 and the other a honda 450. We have all had this problem. Case in point (my opinion) these chains are too big. I replaced my master link with another brand (whatever the shop had) and have not had problems with it wearing off but the sides of the chain are stilling wearing some. This is my first and last one of these I will purchase.

The x-ring chains are wide but I don't think the PD are wider than any other brand, I haven't measured them with calipers to check though. I've since put on new TM designs chain block and swing arm rub pads. The stock guides were worn down so the chain was rubbing and dragging through the guides causing the excessive wear. Hopefully the TM's hold up a long time so the side plates don't get rubbed.