Suspension Valving Modifications

11 replies to this topic
  • trailhead2004

Posted April 13, 2009 - 01:36 PM

I have been thinking about modifying the valving on both front and rear suspension ('08 WR-F) and I'm wondering if anyone has any input/experiences/comments on anyone they have used. I've looked over the various threads that have come up and other than one that a guy didn't have a good experience with Factory Connection, they were mostly just "what do i do, make it softer/harder???"

The reason I mention this is because I recently read the Dirt Rider article on the 450 Offroad shootout and they mentioned using Factory Connection and that they were very happy with the results. That still leaves a bunch of open questions in my mind. Why did they choose them in the first place? Did it help out any that they placed a half page (I think) ad in the back of the mag? Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Everyone knows Race Tech, Factory Connection, Aftershocks, etc.

I'm not specifically looking for advice on how to modify it, I'm looking for experiences in dealing with the manufacturers or dealers. Would you send your stuff half way across the country or not? One of my buddies wasn't happy with the time and cost of sending his to Oklahoma and would never do it again. But that was a KTM and I'm not sure how many places do KTM suspension.

Buehler? Buehler?

TIA,

trailhead

• racinteach

Posted April 13, 2009 - 08:07 PM

Your in CA. There are so many local suspension guys who can tune the bike to your local areas. Go the D 37 forums, for a list of local guys. But right now I can think of ESP, RG3, TOO TECH, Precision concepts, etc...
I have personally dealt with RG3, ESP and TOO TECH and have ridden many precision concepts bikes. All good stuff and worth the money and local.

• trailhead2004

Posted April 14, 2009 - 06:14 AM

Your in CA. There are so many local suspension guys who can tune the bike to your local areas. Go the D 37 forums, for a list of local guys. But right now I can think of ESP, RG3, TOO TECH, Precision concepts, etc...
I have personally dealt with RG3, ESP and TOO TECH and have ridden many precision concepts bikes. All good stuff and worth the money and local.

Why would I want to go to the D37 forum? Just because it says California doesn't mean Southern California. Ego centrics!:p:lol:

I'm looking for something that I can install myself that will give me better feel than I have right now. I definitely do not want to send my stuff to the east coast or Oklahoma, or even So Cal (BTW racinteach, Factory Connection is in So Cal). I've got one or two people up here that want an arm and a leg to tweak my suspension for me. Maybe I'm just cheap but I'm not going to mortgage the house just to get super plush suspension.

So maybe I need to make my question a little more clear. Who makes good valving kits that don't need to be installed by the tuning shop?

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

• idamoh

Posted April 14, 2009 - 06:27 AM

I also have an 08 wr450 and have had some major issues with the suspension. I replaced the springs first. This was relatively easy, but didn't do the trick. Still bottoming out in the forks. I just got me a set of gold valves, and am going to install them this weekend. They give you a video, and charts with recommended shim stacks for your weight, type of riding, etc. I was looking for the cheapest way out and since I lack the knowledge on creating my own shim stack the gold valves seemed like the way to go.

• kingjewells

Posted April 14, 2009 - 01:27 PM

I also have a 08 wr450. I went with www.moto-pro.com I'm 6'2" and 245lb. and their valves, stacks and springs work well for me both on the forks and shocks.

• Deserthound

Posted April 14, 2009 - 04:22 PM

I just installed the Race Tech gold valves on my 07 WR450 forks and it made a big difference. I'm 5' 10" and 175 lbs so the stock springs are just right for me so the revalve alone did the trick. The kit came with a video that explains the whole process so if you have the tools and a basic knowledge of suspension, it's definitely worth doing it yourself IMHO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dustdogg

Posted April 14, 2009 - 05:19 PM

I used Precision Concepts http://www.precisionconcepts.net/ for my WR suspension. I chose them because my buddy had good experience with them on his XR. I live in Fresno, (central cali) so I was looking for a well known shop in so cal to keep shipping costs down. The pricing was in line with the others and the turn around was 1 week from the day they received my suspension. I discussed my options over the phone before sending it out and was confident that it would be done right. I ended up getting both front and rear re valved and also went with a heavier rear spring. It works much better than stock and I have only made one small adjustment to the rear shock and now the bike is dialed.
This is the only suspension shop that I have used but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, especially if you ride alot of desert which is obviously their specialty. You may also want to check out ESP http://www.mysuspension.com/ I have heard many good things about them too, and I have seen alot of bikes with their stickers. Take your time, do some research and make some phone calls. There many suspension shops that can set you up and for the money you will spend you want to feel comfortable with their work.

• trailhead2004

Posted April 16, 2009 - 11:16 AM

Hey guys,

Haven't had much time to monitor, work keeps getting in the way:moon: . But thanks for the info and suggestions! :p

trailhead

• erickdj

Posted April 16, 2009 - 11:26 AM

slap on a set of 2007 yz forks/shock and be done with it. Cheaper and quicker than trying to get the wr stock stuff up to par. I did that three months ago, couldn't be happier. It works great on trails, rutted/rocky terrain, hillclimbs, desert, etc... Now I'm not sad when I leave my yz at home.

• tcmII

Posted April 19, 2009 - 07:18 PM

You kind of made a left turn in the middle of this post.

First you said "I'm not specifically looking for advice on how to modify it, I'm looking for experiences in dealing with the manufacturers or dealers. Would you send your stuff half way across the country or not?"

Then you said "I'm looking for something that I can install myself that will give me better feel than I have right now. I definitely do not want to send my stuff to the east coast or Oklahoma, or even So Cal (BTW racinteach, Factory Connection is in So Cal). I've got one or two people up here that want an arm and a leg to tweak my suspension for me. Maybe I'm just cheap but I'm not going to mortgage the house just to get super plush suspension."

So here's my two cents. First, the factory stuff is good but is always a compromise and is usually sprung for a 160 pound rider. If you want great you need to valve and spring for your riding style, type and weight.

Second, to get the proper valving and springs you gotta spend!!

Last, yes you can throw a gold valve kit and new springs at it by searching the Race Tech web site, but you don't do suspension for a living. Send your stuff to any PRO and let them do it properly.

I am in MI and use MCR. They don't use gold valves and use a different method to re-valve. All I can tell you (and my bike is older) the difference was night and day, and worth every penny.

• trailhead2004

Posted April 21, 2009 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, in retrospect, you are right. I think what really happened is that I didn't form the original post very well.

Here is what I was thinking about. I had read another post where a guy bought valves from someone and had problems with tech support and trying to get the setup correct. I didn't really ever consider sending my stuff out but was looking for feedback on who has good valve kits, how is the tech support, does the stuff work pretty well, etc.

While I don't do suspension for a living, I'm always eager to learn some new stuff. I'm generally familiar with how the valve systems work but I don't want oto start off with buying some POS valves and never have a chance at getting it right.

One of my buddies sent his stuff out to Oklahoma for his KTM. He got it back and it definitely wasn't right so he had to send it back again and have them fix it. He was happy when he got it back the second time, and the shop had a real good policy regarding doing so and picked up the shipping charges for the second iteration. That was the positive side of his story. The negative was that he was without his bike for three weeks during prime riding time here in CA.

TCMII, thanks for the feedback, everyone's opinions count in my book.

trailhead

• tcmII

Posted April 21, 2009 - 04:23 PM

I rode my bike stock for a year and pined for my buddies EXC525. I took my forks and suspension to the local guy, Matt Crown Racing. They revalved and resprung both. I understand the $$ because I started riding at 45 and was/am not that fast.

I get a lot of crap when I say this but with the suspension done, I think my bike rides better than the EXC525 and I attack stuff I used to ride around. I'm definitly faster in the whoops and rough stuff.

So for me it was well worth it. Now it I could just learn to rail the sandy corners. :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.