06 yz450 popping out of 5th gear?

6 replies to this topic
  • REDBULLRICK

Posted April 12, 2009 - 03:57 PM

on my dads 06 yz450 when he goes into 5th it will pop out of 5th back into 4th? any body ever had this problem? thanks Rick

• grayracer513

Posted April 12, 2009 - 06:07 PM

Check the condition of the roller on the end of the "stopper lever", or shift cam indexing arm. It can be inspected and replaced by removing the right crankcase cover and the clutch, wit the engine in the bike.

You may also have a wear issue with the 5th and 3rd gears on the main shaft, but since it's actually moving to a different gear rather than skipping out an into the same one, I'm suspicious of the indexer.

• REDBULLRICK

Posted April 12, 2009 - 06:18 PM

ight thanks ill have to check it out...thanks again Rick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kdg383

Posted April 22, 2009 - 10:07 AM

check on the shift forks...sometimes when the fork gets bent or warped it will come out of gear...or the gear it'self may be worn

• wondermuscle

Posted April 22, 2009 - 11:41 AM

You probably have rounded off the dogs on gear 14. Same thing happened on my lasy yammy.

Did it happen all of a sudden? Have you been finding any larger than usual metal chunks in your oil?

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted April 22, 2009 - 12:17 PM

As I hinted in my earlier post, this sounds a little unlike the typical worn lug issue. Reason is that that condition ordinarily leads to a "skipping gear" situation where the gears force themselves apart, then have themselves re-engaged by the shift fork as soon as they separate and loose their drive load. That happens because there is usually no way for the gear to push the fork out of position to a neutral location or to the next lower gear. Since he says the bike goes back to 4th, the shift cam must be moving, so the linkage pretty much has to be involved somehow.

Then again, if it's allowed to keep doing this, it will wear the lugs out eventually.

• wondermuscle

Posted April 22, 2009 - 12:37 PM

As I hinted in my earlier post, this sounds a little unlike the typical worn lug issue. Reason is that that condition ordinarily leads to a "skipping gear" situation where the gears force themselves apart, then have themselves re-engaged by the shift fork as soon as they separate and loose their drive load. That happens because there is usually no way for the gear to push the fork out of position to a neutral location or to the next lower gear. Since he says the bike goes back to 4th, the shift cam must be moving, so the linkage pretty much has to be involved somehow.

Then again, if it's allowed to keep doing this, it will wear the lugs out eventually.

My mistake Gray. I missed the info about the trans going back into 4th gear.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.