Oil in the air box

9 replies to this topic
  • UPSWR450

Posted April 12, 2009 - 02:53 PM

I have a 07 WR450 and when i was done riding today i noticed that there was a good amount of oil in the air box? It seems to be coming out of the breather tube. Any help on what the problem may be would be greatly appreciated.

• IBLucky

Posted April 12, 2009 - 03:22 PM

I think I would check the oil level first, if it's higher the normal than sometimes it gets in there from the breather tube..

• UPSWR450

Posted April 12, 2009 - 04:18 PM

I just changed the oil and filter yesterday and only put in 1qt??

• IBLucky

Posted April 12, 2009 - 06:55 PM

When you changed the oil did you loosen the plastic screw on the oil resivoir? it's behind and above the oil filler hole in the front of the engine,if you didn't then not all the oil comes out. there's a vacuum that you have to break by loosening it. and there is two drain bolts you have to remove. you might already now these things but just in case you didn't.

• desertrat222

Posted October 22, 2009 - 04:30 PM

I just bought a 08 WR450F and road around the block and had the same issue, hopefully it has to much oil!! the dipstick/cap doesnt have a way to measure the oil?? is there a way i can check this or do i just need to drain the oil by lossening that vent thing and refill the oil? Whats the CC's on this?

thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ohioryder

Posted October 22, 2009 - 08:33 PM

There should be a line on the dip stick. After changing the oil you want to warm up the engine (do not rev the motor nor ride the bike yet). Turn off the engine, wait 30-60 seconds and then slowly remove the dip stick. If oil over flows there is too much oil in the engine. If not, clean off the dip stick and stick it back WITHOUT screwing (threading) it on. Pull it back out and check oil level. It should be right up to the line without going over.

• desertrat222

Posted October 23, 2009 - 06:58 AM

There should be a line on the dip stick. After changing the oil you want to warm up the engine (do not rev the motor nor ride the bike yet). Turn off the engine, wait 30-60 seconds and then slowly remove the dip stick. If oil over flows there is too much oil in the engine. If not, clean off the dip stick and stick it back WITHOUT screwing (threading) it on. Pull it back out and check oil level. It should be right up to the line without going over.

Thants Wierd the cap on the left cover is just that a cap no dipstick=( Sounds like i need to order the right cap that has a dipstick?

thanks

• desertrat222

Posted October 23, 2009 - 06:59 AM

another thing is its spewing oil but i cant even see the oil in there nor feel it with my pinky?

• ohioryder

Posted October 23, 2009 - 09:41 AM

Thants Wierd the cap on the left cover is just that a cap no dipstick=( Sounds like i need to order the right cap that has a dipstick?

Did you get a manuel with the bike...if not you really need to get one. Your looking at the oil fill cap. The dipstick cap is located on the left side just in front of the cylinder underneith the radiator hose. Its black, 5/8" round and about 1 1/2 tall.

another thing is its spewing oil but i cant even see the oil in there nor feel it with my pinky?

This is because this is the oil fill cap and the oil is down in the bottom of the engine and in the transmission case. The motor oil lubercates both the engine and transmission/clutch. This is why it is important to change oil frequently. It gets very dirt from clutch wear.

• desertrat222

Posted October 23, 2009 - 01:51 PM

[COLOR=black]Thank you so much that tonally makes sense. i thought that was the vent someone was talking about but that must be a little higher. My 426 fills in the frame so its a little diff.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Thank you very much! [/COLOR]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.