trouble starting brand new bike

5 replies to this topic
  • badburn

Posted April 12, 2009 - 02:10 PM

I just bought brand new 09 yzf 450. I roughly have 15 running hours on it . Im having a hell of a time starting the bike. Once i get it to run it has no problem for the rest of the day. I took it back to yamaha they showed me that im kicking it to hard , like how u kick a 2 stroke. One hard quick kick.A smooth soft kickm does start it more easily but imstill having to kick it 30 -50 kicks. Does anybody know whats going on? Do i need to check my valves? Shoulnt a brand new bike fire right away?Any other 09 yzf450 Having the same problem?
Please all advice would be appreciated

• TIG88

Posted April 12, 2009 - 03:28 PM

Check your valves, 15 hours is soon, but id check em anyway.

I typically pump the throttle 3 times, put the choke on, and kick. It usually fires on the second kick.

You just have to figure it out. When I first got mine, it took me a few weeks to get everything figured out.

• paul_arc

Posted April 12, 2009 - 03:41 PM

you should check the valves after the first ride, if its hard to start the valves may be tight.
are you holding on the hot start lever while kicking? and yes yamaha is correct, you dont need to pound the kick starter as hard as you could, just do some smooth kicks. it also starts easier in neutral than in gear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • badburn

Posted April 13, 2009 - 02:10 PM

i havent been twisting the throttle before i pull the choke that could be the problem. Definitely easier to get going if i kick it smoothly and less hard. Im going to check my valves if i keep having a hard time.

• badburn

Posted April 13, 2009 - 02:24 PM

You guys are completely right i turned the fuel on, twisted the throttle 3 times pulled the choke she fired 2 kick. I very glad to know it was my error and not a mechanical one .
Thanx alot guys

• Lagdo

Posted April 13, 2009 - 02:46 PM

while kick starting put your hand away from throttle. While kicking you may throttle it wrongly. Giving throttle when starting makes harder to start bike. And sometimes turn on and off the choke and try it both way.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.