Torque Renches - Need Info Please!

13 replies to this topic
  • Dodger

Posted August 22, 2002 - 08:30 AM

Ok, so I want to do my YZ timing tonight, and I need a torque rench. I know it's not totally proper, but I've always done things by feel. I DON'T want to do this timing change by feel. Sooooo, I've been all over Boulder and keep finding the exact same torque renches everywhere I go, and they all go up to like 240 foot pounds. I know that those will work, but I really want one more specific to 30 foot pound and under. Is there a torque rench out there that any of you know of that would meet this specification??? If so, any idea where I could get one???

BTW, I cannot afford/justify an $80+ tool right now, so I may be screwed.

Little help would be appreciated.....

Dodger :D :)

[ August 22, 2002, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Dodger ]

• RCannon

Posted August 22, 2002 - 08:35 AM

Snap-on-Tools has some wonderful models in darn near every size you can think of.

One problem though...their prices make Yamaha parts appear to be reasonable.

• MOmilkman

Posted August 22, 2002 - 08:37 AM

If I recall correctly I think I bought my 3/8 drive torque wrench from Sears (Craftsman brand of course) for around $60.

3/8" drive goes from 10 ft lbs to around 70-80 ft lbs.
Which means I can torque anything from my oil drain bolt (14 ft lb) to my swingarm bolts. (50-60 ft lbs)

[ August 22, 2002, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: MOmilkman ]

• SFO

Posted August 22, 2002 - 09:13 PM

for your cam caps I would get a inch pound torque wrench, 1/4" drive.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted August 22, 2002 - 09:52 PM

Have your wrists calibrated lately? :)

Use the right tool, in this case a good inch-pond torque wrench. I got mine at sears for about $60. Here is a link to another brand:

• racemile

Posted August 22, 2002 - 10:04 AM

Check out equipment rental stores. Alot of times they rent out tools also. I know I have seen torque wrenchs in some of them. The cost is minimal, I would be surprised if you pay over 10.00 for the days rental.

• wrsm

Posted August 22, 2002 - 10:53 AM

Mark one foot from the centre of the square on your normal socket wrench, then use a fishing scale at right angle to it to measure the pull you are giving it. 30 pounds pull at a distance of one foot = 30 foot pounds! Try it against your larger torque wrench...its true!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dodger

Posted August 22, 2002 - 10:57 AM

Thanks guys, I think I've got it.......Auto Zone has a borrower policy. You can buy a tool, and bring it back for a full refund. I guess it's just another way to renting, but it doesn't cost you anything but gas to get there and back.

Oh, and WRSM has a big brain, very cool idea.

Peace y'all, till next time.

Dodger :D :)

• RCannon

Posted August 23, 2002 - 06:37 AM

This is funny. I cannot imagine how many times I thought about foot-lbs. and never thought about it meaning, well, foot pounds.

I will keep this idea in mind!

• Dodger

Posted August 23, 2002 - 06:41 AM

Dammit, no one around here has a decent torque wrench for me to rent. I just cannot justify/afford $80 to $130 for a good inch pound wrench right now (Oh man, I've been spelling wrench wrong the whole time, AAHHHHHHH :D !!!!!!).

So crap, hope my arm is calibrated right, I've got everything lined up to time the beast tonight.

Guess I'll see....

Dodger :) :D

• MOmilkman

Posted August 23, 2002 - 08:22 AM

Why dont you just wait to do the timing change until you can buy/find a good torque wrench?

I would.

Im pretty sure that engine stuff is critical to be torqued to the right specs.

• Wicked_Crash

Posted August 23, 2002 - 08:31 AM

Don't do it Dodger! Wait until you can get a torque wrench. If you do it by feel, chances are we are going to see Lord help me, sometimes I'm just not that bright - Part III :)

• Dodger

Posted August 23, 2002 - 09:48 PM

GOT ONE!!! Thanks to a very good buddy of mine who works for the local Porsche dealership. Big mike is going to let me borrow his inch pound wrench for the eventing :D ...........YZ timing, here I come!!

Thanks y'all........

Dodger :) :D

• AZWR426

Posted August 27, 2002 - 05:21 AM

I was thinking about the foot-pound,inch-pound thing. With most of our torque specs (real low) I don't think the foot-pound wrenches are real accurate down there. Also, when I think of accuracy I think it is reflected as a percentage of the full scale. So a 0 to 150 ftlb wrench having say a 5% error could be off 7.5 ftlb; which is alot if you are only putting on 14 ftlb to start with. But, with an inch-pound wrench and a max scale of 250 the 5% error is 12.5 in-lb. But 12.5 in-lb divided by 12 to convert to ft-lb yields an error of just over 1 ft-lb. But, our manual has only ft-lb specs so you have to multiply them all by 12. Also nobody told me this argument, I just dreamed it up (which usually means I'm wrong). So is there a flaw in the logic, or is that the way it is?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.