Starter Motor

8 replies to this topic
  • bg10459

Posted April 12, 2009 - 05:01 AM

My starter motor is fried on the WR (big arc hole in the commutator) so I've been kicking the bike for a while. I'm searching for a new one, but the best I can come up with is $215, shipped from Zanotti. Still lots better than anywhere else I've checked (crotchrocket and TT), but I can think of better things to do with $200, especially for a starter that just worked OK, not great.
Has anyone found a cheaper supplier or an alternative option?:p

• kikkokrash

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:09 AM

My starter motor is fried on the WR (big arc hole in the commutator) so I've been kicking the bike for a while. I'm searching for a new one, but the best I can come up with is $215, shipped from Zanotti. Still lots better than anywhere else I've checked (crotchrocket and TT), but I can think of better things to do with $200, especially for a starter that just worked OK, not great.
Has anyone found a cheaper supplier or an alternative option?:lol:

I have adapted in my WR450F 2003 a Kimko scooter 150cc Electric Starter motor for approx $50.
You should find a Kimko similar model (there are plenty of them) then you need to be skillful to adapt it (expecially fix it) because it's similar but not the same.. :cry:
I had this job done by my mechanic..
Now it works perfectly!! :p
Cheers
kikko

• BajaFool

Posted April 12, 2009 - 07:38 PM

Have you checked with an automotive electric shop to determine what they would charge to rebuild your starter?

• bg10459

Posted April 12, 2009 - 07:45 PM

Have you checked with an automotive electric shop to determine what they would charge to rebuild your starter?

I have not, but it actually has a big arc spot between two of the flats on the commutator. That leads me to believe it is shot.:p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hillclimbguy

Posted April 13, 2009 - 08:06 PM

Has anyone found a cheaper supplier or an alternative option?:p

I have a similar problem. My starter sometimes spins and sometimes not, but wont turn the motor over. If it does catch, it'll spin very slowly. I thought it was brushes. I replaced them with the same results. I also replaced the battery, with no luck. A new starter from the dealer is over 300. I tried a direct hook up to 12 volts and found that the starter works only half of the time. So I too, am looking for advice for replacement or rebuild.

• graazzy

Posted April 14, 2009 - 01:09 AM

I pulled mine apart and gave it a thorough cleaning including removing the build up in the commutator grooves . These grooves are required to act like a switch ,switching power on and off .

• c9buff

Posted April 14, 2009 - 04:19 AM

215 is about as good as you can do. I've had all the same problems, in fact, one more problem and I'm going to yank all that stuff off the bike.

buff

• bg10459

Posted April 14, 2009 - 01:35 PM

I was wondering if there was an upgraded motor that would still fit. I noticed the part number changed slightly in 07; from a -20-00 to a -30-00.
Does anyone know if the 07 motor is any better than the prior years, and more importantly, will it fit. It's a couple bucks cheaper, too.:p

• wr450-lad

Posted November 08, 2009 - 09:55 AM

My WR450 2007 starter has given up. Stripped it down and found the copper braiding to one off the brushes had broke. Ordered new ones from Yamaha and fitted them looking forward to giving it a new lease of life. But it just groaned, and sounded as if it was shorting out. Now found that 2 of the coils are down on the armatuar. Really annoyed as a new one is £295!
Think I may of caused the damage to starter as bike has been difficult to start when cold, but satarts easily when warm. Been told it may be valve clearances, but cheked these and found them to be perfect.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.