New Exhaust

13 replies to this topic
  • Scubdawg

Posted April 11, 2009 - 08:15 PM

Im looking for something quite a bit louder than the stock exhaust! I have a 09 WR 450 with just the spark arrestor in it. I hear more motor noise than my exhaust, Any suggestions for something louder?:p

• enlarchick

Posted April 12, 2009 - 10:01 AM

Louder is what gets our riding areas closed. :p What i am looking for is something just as quiet but add a little more power. For my WR450. Louder doesn't = more power.

• Scubdawg

Posted April 12, 2009 - 12:03 PM

Louder is what gets our riding areas closed. :lol: What i am looking for is something just as quiet but add a little more power. For my WR450. Louder doesn't = more power.

Well fortunate for me I dont ride in your areas! Please I just asked a simple question, I asked for something a little louder.If you can not help with my question then please dont respond!!!! :p

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 12, 2009 - 02:35 PM

Im looking for something quite a bit louder than the stock exhaust! I have a 09 WR 450 with just the spark arrestor in it. I hear more motor noise than my exhaust, Any suggestions for something louder?:p

A stock YZ exhaust does pretty good on a WR. if you get the complete exhaust it will bolt right up. but it will need a sparky. the stock header on the WR is tiny compared to the YZ header.

• reed92021

Posted April 12, 2009 - 06:40 PM

I would say it depends on where you are riding. If you do trail riding even in Mex do not go with loud exhaust. I have 9,000 miles on my 07 WR. I had an FMF ? power core, the bracket broke, then an FMF quiet core, the side blew out. I put the stock can back on with a billet insert and it is pretty quiet but performs great. I also do not upset landowners and ranchers when riding. I HATE riding behind guys with loud pipes, and it is not cool to lead all the time as your buddies have to eat dust all the time (not fair). I have no problem hearing my bike even with loud bikes around. As long as you do the jetting and airbox mod the $50 billet will give you a bit more sound and all the performance and save you $200 - 350.

Just my opinion, loud pipes are for supercross.

• rig chaser

Posted April 12, 2009 - 07:26 PM

I picked up a White bros. carbon pro 1 for 340.00 on flea-bay. Much louder over stock. With good power gains, much more responsive. Mine is a sumo and it is street use. it's no louder than the Harley's across the street. But not far from it either. Hope this helps. I believe White Bros was purchased by Vance & Hines recently. I think a stock YZ exhuast would be what you are looking for, but a slip-on is a cheaper way to go also. Good luck

Here is a link to my build the video has before (stock) and new exhaust.
http://www.thumperta...t=731232&page=7

• neevothespaniel

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:17 PM

I would go for an FMF Q4 for a few reasons:

1. It really fattens the note of the exhaust up which will give you that louder, fatter sound you are craving.

2. It allows the bike to breathe much better which will give you some serious performance gains across the whole rev range.

3. It is significantly quieter than one of the MX style cans, this means you won't be hurting your ears or those that are around you and on the flip you will continue to enjoy the extra power that your wonder can delivers!

4. It is much shorter than the stock exhaust, which will reduce any damage as it is tucked away and also looks the business!!!!

Failing my fantastically, wonderful suggestion you could always go for a Pro Circuit Ti 4. Those things are LOUD... LOUD... LOUD!!!! However they do not offer much more than the Q4 does!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WILLIAMS37

Posted April 13, 2009 - 08:25 PM

A lot of people that disagree with others making their bikes louder probably haven't experienced how annoying it is to not hear your own motor. My 08 yz450f with the stock shorty is so quiet that I can't even hear myself on the start, and its really hard to know where i'm at in the throttle until all the bikes spread out. Not that I don't see why it makes sense to quiet our bikes down, especially with land closing as frequently as it is, I just also realize there is also a reason some people need their exhausts a little louder for whatever reason.

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 13, 2009 - 11:48 PM

the 08 yz exhaust is pretty loud. it will still cause some ear pain if you are standing behind one. it has a rad scream at higher RPM. but without the deep base rumble of my Leo vince X3.

I think you really have to like what your bike sounds like and the stock WR sounds like a lawn tractor. I really like my X3. the performance is awesome, the tone is pleasing and big, but it doesn't hurt my ears.

• JMo

Posted April 14, 2009 - 12:00 AM

Well fortunate for me I dont ride in your areas! Please I just asked a simple question, I asked for something a little louder.If you can not help with my question then please dont respond!!!! :p

I have to agree with enlarchick - if you'd said "I'm looking for more power/response, and don't mind if it's a bit noiser..." then I could understand, but noise for noises sake is just tedious...

You want to spend a week in Daytona with all the twats and their flabby sounding open pipes - it's not big or clever, just a pain in the ass and the ears...

If you get a genuine performance gain then at least you can justify making more noise?

xxx

• JMo

Posted April 14, 2009 - 12:07 AM

A lot of people that disagree with others making their bikes louder probably haven't experienced how annoying it is to not hear your own motor. My 08 yz450f with the stock shorty is so quiet that I can't even hear myself on the start, and its really hard to know where i'm at in the throttle until all the bikes spread out. Not that I don't see why it makes sense to quiet our bikes down, especially with land closing as frequently as it is, I just also realize there is also a reason some people need their exhausts a little louder for whatever reason.

Aw come on, that is a pretty lame reason... you can't hear your bike on the start line?! - of course not - there are 30 other bloody bikes all revving too! Surely if you were an experienced racer you'd know what the bike 'feels' like at certain revs anyway? (and how much throttle equates to how many revs...)

Don't get me wrong, I love a good thoaty sounding thumper exhaust too, but not excessive decibels - particularly if there is no discernible power advantage?

xxx

• WILLIAMS37

Posted April 14, 2009 - 07:45 AM

Aw come on, that is a pretty lame reason... you can't hear your bike on the start line?! - of course not - there are 30 other bloody bikes all revving too! Surely if you were an experienced racer you'd know what the bike 'feels' like at certain revs anyway? (and how much throttle equates to how many revs...)

Don't get me wrong, I love a good thoaty sounding thumper exhaust too, but not excessive decibels - particularly if there is no discernible power advantage?

xxx

Your right, I have absolutely no experience on a track. My 250F had the Pro Circuit Ti-4 on it and I can honestly say it was the loudest bike in my class. So when I was used line up on the gate there was no guessing which bike sound was mine. I don't have that bike anymore, nor do I plan on making my 450 anywhere near as loud as that. But I was just playing the other side of the argument, no need for you to comment on my riding experience.

• JMo

Posted April 14, 2009 - 10:04 AM

But I was just playing the other side of the argument, no need for you to comment on my riding experience.

Sorry Williams37 - no offence was intended, I should have said 'surely if one was an experienced racer, they ought to know... etc.

My point was simply that we are running out of excuses for noise pipes, especially in a field of MX bikes... OHV and closed-circuit courses seem to be an increasing target these days too? just like trails?

xxx

• WILLIAMS37

Posted April 14, 2009 - 12:09 PM

Sorry Williams37 - no offence was intended, I should have said 'surely if one was an experienced racer, they ought to know... etc.

My point was simply that we are running out of excuses for noise pipes, especially in a field of MX bikes... OHV and closed-circuit courses seem to be an increasing target these days too? just like trails?

xxx

I can agree with you there. I don't think there is any good reason to have a loud bike on the trails. All that is going to do is disturb wildlife and nearby houses.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.