can this be welded? 2007 WR 450 left engine case. (I need help)

22 replies to this topic
  • snaggletooth

Posted September 17, 2009 - 12:13 AM

To all who replied, thank you for your input.

I did find a welder who had done the job before. I had a shop (C&D Cycle) remove the motor, pull the clutch, stator, and clutch shaft out. I cleaned up the motor and gave it to Sal Paledo in Lakeside, CA 619-972-2687. He welded it and machined the opening. I had to give him a new shaft seal and clip so he could size it. Sorry but I cannot figure how to attach a photo, the link keeps taking me to an htmp browser not my computer. It came out great.

Reed

Great to hear it worked out for you. Now for the big question, how much did it cost? How much did it save you over a new case install? How trustworthy do you think this fix will be several years down the road?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • reed92021

Posted October 04, 2009 - 12:08 PM

To all who replied, thank you for your input.

I did find a welder who had done the job before. I had a shop (C&D Cycle) remove the motor, pull the clutch, stator, and clutch shaft out. I cleaned up the motor and gave it to Sal Paledo in Lakeside, CA 619-972-2687. He welded it and machined the opening. I had to give him a new shaft seal and clip so he could size it. Sorry but I cannot figure how to attach a photo, the link keeps taking me to an htmp browser not my computer. It came out great.

Reed

Great to hear it worked out for you. Now for the big question, how much did it cost? How much did it save you over a new case install? How trustworthy do you think this fix will be several years down the road?

Total cost R&R, welding, seal, clip about $500 verses what would have cost $2,000. It seems to be working fine, no leaks.

• William1

Posted October 05, 2009 - 02:43 AM

I think you'll find though, a used set of cases installed would of cost the same or possibly less. Sometimes a weld on a critical area like this works, sometimes not. Piece of mind has value. Cast parts rarely tolerate welding due to heat distortion.

Reed, how many hours on the repaired engine now?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.