98 WR400 Valve Shims and Clearance

1 reply to this topic
  • gator4life108

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:20 AM

Can someone help, as I have looked through this manual a couple of times now trying to find out what the measurement should be when Im checking the valve clearance and also what size shims do I need if a valve adjustment is needed.

Thanks,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncampion

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:05 AM

Check section 3-18 of the manual. It goes through the process. Clearance should be Intake = 6 - 8 thousanths, Exhaust = 10 - 12 thou. There is a chart in that section to guide you as to what shims you need to correct any out of tollerance. It's not too hard to do if you are careful and follow the manual. Good luck.
BTW, in almost 10 years of riding my WR 400, I have only found the valves out of adjustment once, right after it was new. I also had to re-set them after putting in an 03' auto decompress cam.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.