woodruff key

7 replies to this topic
  • valkyrie69

Posted April 10, 2009 - 12:55 PM

hi everyone , new to the site , great one at that, anyway have a problem with my 03 wr 450 I picked up last week, mint condition had 14 km on it ,and i mean mint , but and a big but she would'nt kick over last week after it stalled out on me , found out it was the woodruff key issue and heard of the recall so took it to the dealer and they replaced it ,everything good there , picked up the bike yesterday (thurs ) and went out today,(friday):p got 2 hrs on it and tada it happens again *** is goin on now,, did they replace it with the same part # or do I have a lemon,, anyone have any ideas for me ,,,, thks

• dmk75

Posted April 10, 2009 - 01:55 PM

Do some searching. Its not the woodruff key but rather related to the starter. When the motor backfires or kicks back hard on start up the starter gear does not disengage and kicks power to the flywheel and sheers the key.

If this is a problem on your bike you will need to do an upgrade to the the 04 starter components.

http://www.thumperta...p/t-122003.html

http://www.thumperta...hp/t-70754.html

http://dirtbike.off-...ategoryId=24443

Those few posts should get you going. Other than this issue there are guys with these bikes with thousands of miles on them trouble free. My 03 has never had this issue but its a canadian model and is jetted a bit better but can certainly happen I guess under the right conditions.

• valkyrie69

Posted April 11, 2009 - 05:56 AM

thx for replyin, is the woodruff key not the related problem to the starter, because that was my understanding, it just free spins win starter button is pressed, cant even kick it over, its goin back to the dealer and will ask for the 04 conversion , now that said , after the conversion has anyone had the same problem thx.

• dmk75

Posted April 11, 2009 - 08:50 AM

The broken woodruff is the result of the starter gear. Now you need to replace your woodruff key again. Back to the dealer if they did the recall fix to begin with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaFool

Posted April 11, 2009 - 10:53 PM

Valkyrie69,
Click on the link that follows and read it completely. You will then know more about the 2003 Woodruff key issue than anyone on your block. http://www.thumperta...hlight=bajafool Take particular note of my comments.

I suggest that you work the dealer for a free woodruff key replacement. It is easy for the dealer to do and if you don't have a flywheel puller, you will have to buy one.

The chances are not good that your dealer will do anything for you in regard to actually upgrading your bike to the 2004 configuration. You might try to negotiate a deep discount on parts, however. The installation of the parts is very easy, as I discuss in the link above. Good luck.

• valkyrie69

Posted April 12, 2009 - 04:56 AM

thanks for the quick reply, this site is great, so good news ,i think because i am a loyal customer a G,A Checkpoint Yamaha in Port Moody British Columbia Canada,thats a plug ,:p they are going to do the 04 mod at no cost too me ,, thats awesome, can,t say enough about these people that work there, thx for all the info here on this site also,i turned them on too the www.wr450 .com site and i think they following that info for the mod, its funny i think the dealers don't like too or are not comfortable lookin at different avenues except what is sop from yamaha, probably a liable thing i guess, anyway 1 part is back ordered so unfortunatly im not riding for 2 weeks but hey ,small price too pay for enjoyment i will have with this bike for a long while , one more quick question, anyone that has done the mod, in the past , how are their bikes running now ?was there anymore problems after the fact? just wondering ,again thankyou ,talk too you soon, Dave.

• BajaFool

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:15 AM

Valkyrie69,
The sheared woodruff key problem goes away, once the 2004 update is incorporated. All WR450's 2004-2009 use the same idler assy. Install the update--- ride it, enjoy it.

• valkyrie69

Posted April 13, 2009 - 05:31 AM

thanks Baja,, like I said this is a great site ,thx for your insight

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.