Chain Stretch

2 replies to this topic
  • spirit

Posted February 27, 2003 - 10:40 PM

Seemed like every time I got back from a ride on the 650, the chain needed a little tightening, and it didn't stop. Bought the sidewinder chain---no more readjusting after each ride. My 11 year old has a new XR100 doing the same thing. Any one else out there having this problem with a fairly new chain? My adjustment method is to load the suspension to the tightest point on the chain & then dial in the desired slack.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dezcrf

Posted March 04, 2003 - 04:17 PM

Spirit,seems to me you already answered your own question. until you put a good o-ring or standard chain on any bike you will get good at adjusting chains.

• XR/CRDave

Posted March 04, 2003 - 08:52 PM

My 00 650 has never had this problem, in fact I am on the original chain and sprockets (with good life left)but have replaced 1 tire and often run a paddle on it. My impression from the dealer ( I asked because I wanted to re-gear it but never did) was that the stock chain was very strong and that it needed a special tool the install the master link, they also said that a normal 520 chain would snap if used on the 650. Possibly you are adjusting it wrong. I adjust mine by loosening the axle nut then slowly adjusting it on each side, making sure it is equal, and stop when I have about 2 fingers of space between the chain and the lower area of the chain slide, then I put a screw driver on one of the rear sprocket's teeth and roll the tire back, this causes the chain to tighten and suck the tire forward, then I tighten the nut and then the adjusting bolts and lock nuts

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.