2009 yz450f what mods make it faster and stay reliable??

22 replies to this topic
  • yamahakid252

Posted April 08, 2009 - 08:53 PM

Hey, I have a 2009 yz450f. I am sponsored by Dr. D., so I just got exhaust and the radiatior lowering kit. I also have my suspension dialed in as well. But that is all I have so far. What would you guys recommend I get to improve my bike? I have heard that the loudmouth intake is just a scam and doesn't really add power.. Keep in mind I still want my bike to be reliable. I have quite a bit of money to spend (Out with a torn acl, can't ride, but can work = $$$) so tell me what I should get!!!

P.S. I race mx B Class.

• badburn

Posted April 08, 2009 - 09:50 PM

I just bought the same bike but the special edition and im wondering the same thing but i dont race just trail rides. What kind of exhaust did u get And whats ur thoughts on the mega bomb exhaust heard it gives 3hp. most people r saying our silencer is very restrictive never road a 4t before so im not sure?

• 426 NOOB

Posted April 08, 2009 - 10:29 PM

I just bought the same bike but the special edition and im wondering the same thing but i dont race just trail rides. What kind of exhaust did u get And whats ur thoughts on the mega bomb exhaust heard it gives 3hp. most people r saying our silencer is very restrictive never road a 4t before so im not sure?

well he is sponsored by dr. d so he probably is running one of their awesome pipes. mega bomb is a nice pipe, but for the money i would put a Dr.d or MRD exhaust on. I doubt that there is a full 3 hp increase on the mega bomb but it is possible. I would be more concerned with what ranges the pipe makes power in rather than how much peak hp it increases.

• badburn

Posted April 08, 2009 - 10:57 PM

ya good point i ride trails in alberta canada so i would probably need more low to mid

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2009 - 06:51 AM

If I were you, I would ride it with the new exhaust first, and decide if I needed anything else after doing so, instead of wasting time and money on something that didn't need to be done. The only performance mod that you might wnt to try is to swap in an exhaust cam from an '06 YZ450, which will beef up the mid range and low end. It will probably take as much as one HP off the very top, but I doubt anyone will miss it.

Spend your money on suspension, riding gear, tires, gearing, and stuff.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 10, 2009 - 06:37 PM

Then again, if time and money aren't such an issue...
1. ASV's
2. Hot Cams
3. Boysen high flow water pump
4. ZipTy magnetic oil filter cover / magnetic oil plugs
5. Scotts metal oil filter
6. Hinson clutch
7. Scotts steering damper
8. Better sprockets/chain (go up one tooth on the rear for quicker off the line)
9. new tires
10. Talon rims
11. Billet case saver
12. ZipTy carb mod
13. carbon fiber anything
Hey, you said you have quite a bit of money to spend...

• husqy360

Posted April 10, 2009 - 07:30 PM

Then again, if time and money aren't such an issue...
1. ASV's
2. Hot Cams
3. Boysen high flow water pump
4. ZipTy magnetic oil filter cover / magnetic oil plugs
5. Scotts metal oil filter
6. Hinson clutch
7. Scotts steering damper
8. Better sprockets/chain (go up one tooth on the rear for quicker off the line)
9. new tires
10. Talon rims
11. Billet case saver
12. ZipTy carb mod
13. carbon fiber anything
Hey, you said you have quite a bit of money to spend...

except cams nothing on your list will actully make it faster.

• FinchFan194

Posted April 10, 2009 - 09:16 PM

It won't make the bike faster but it will make you faster into the corners-an oversize front brake rotor. That way you can brake later heading into a corner and it doesn't affect the bikes dependability at all!

• FiremanKay

Posted April 11, 2009 - 04:33 AM

LOL sry this is funny. Get the right tires for your track and learn the hell out of your bike... meaning ride it 4-5 days a week. You will be faster and spend less money. I see stock 2 strokes crushing people at my local track. Seat time, Seat time, Seat time and if you can get anyone to record you riding that has a lot of benefits too. One think I did was record a local pro ( he didnt mind I asked) and then had my buddy record me. Went home and studied the tape, next time I hit the track I was much faster.

• thumpyz

Posted April 11, 2009 - 04:44 AM

are 07 and up the only bikes that benefit from an 06 exhaust cam? or will it help earlier model year bikes too?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted April 11, 2009 - 07:08 AM

Like grey said! spend it on up keep of the bike. I was like you, spending my money on knock off stuff. Then i wised up, Spending money on supension work. That is the ticket to being faster, If you cant get good traction or stay on the ground on two wheels instead of bouncing around you will loose time.

The best mod you can do to your bike is getting the suspension revalved for your weight and riding style and by your skill.

When you can take a stock bike and peg it off the rev limiter the whole lap then it is time to get a motor upgrade.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 11, 2009 - 09:05 AM

Hahahaha, I knew listing a bunch of expensive parts would kick this thread into gear...
People saying seat time will make you faster than any upgrades (while totally right) are completely missing the point in your first post...
You're injured and have time and money to burn...Why the hell not put upgrades on your prized possession?!?! And you're sponsored which means you already have some skills that may actually benefit from a few upgrades...You've already taken care of the most important items (suspension and exhaust)...I think people that say "OH NO! Don't spend your money on stuff that is unnecessary are people that either don't have money or are tight-wads with the money they do have, or have wives that won’t allow it (haha sucks to be you)...
Jeez, the factory guys bikes are like $50 grand, what's wrong with upgrading yours to the tune of $15 grand...Even if a lot of it is just bling...
And I know that besides the hot cams and carb mod none of the stuff I listed has to do with speed, but it does have to do with reliability/longevity and are improvements to the stock parts...I don't think anyone can say anything I listed would be a bad idea, and they are all extremely common upgrades found on MANY of the bikes at the track...

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 11, 2009 - 09:12 AM

By the way I just paid $30 for a little chunk of metal yesterday, lol...
A black billet front sprocket case saver...
Hahaha, now you can all laugh and pick on me for not making it myself out of aluminum cans.

• grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2009 - 09:18 AM

are 07 and up the only bikes that benefit from an 06 exhaust cam? or will it help earlier model year bikes too?

The '07-9 don't necessarily benefit from it, but it does alter the power curve in a way that some riders prefer. Using the '06 exhaust cam pulls in a stronger mid range, but does so at the slight expense of peak power.

The '03-'05 models all used the same cam set. The '06, and each year after that up to the '08, had its own particular cam set, each successive year biased a little more toward better high end peak, and less to low end grunt. By contrast, the earlier bikes had no shortage of low end power (except for the '05, but that was a matter of ignition mapping). Using an '06 exhaust cam in an earlier engine would have somewhat the opposite effect it does in the later bikes, which is to say that it would give more high end rev power with a bit less of the late sixties muscle car grunt down low, especially if used with the '06 intake.

• yamahakid252

Posted April 11, 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hahahaha, I knew listing a bunch of expensive parts would kick this thread into gear...
People saying seat time will make you faster than any upgrades (while totally right) are completely missing the point in your first post...
You're injured and have time and money to burn...Why the hell not put upgrades on your prized possession?!?! And you're sponsored which means you already have some skills that may actually benefit from a few upgrades...You've already taken care of the most important items (suspension and exhaust)...I think people that say "OH NO! Don't spend your money on stuff that is unnecessary are people that either don't have money or are tight-wads with the money they do have, or have wives that won’t allow it (haha sucks to be you)...
Jeez, the factory guys bikes are like $50 grand, what's wrong with upgrading yours to the tune of $15 grand...Even if a lot of it is just bling...
And I know that besides the hot cams and carb mod none of the stuff I listed has to do with speed, but it does have to do with reliability/longevity and are improvements to the stock parts...I don't think anyone can say anything I listed would be a bad idea, and they are all extremely common upgrades found on MANY of the bikes at the track...

You nailed it Goose! I am not a goon that rides once a month or anything. Trust me, I practice, and train. Like my first post and Goose mentioned, I have about 4 months off of the bike... so I was just seeing if you had any suggestions on some mods that would make my bike somewhat faster.. I do understand having a modded out bike, can get blown away by an 80 rider with a stock bike. Like most people think, if you put James Stewart on a stock bike with suspension set up for him, he could still blow away everyone on an outdoor track. That being said do you guys think having mods on his bike improve his lap times? I don't have the speed, but I believe I could use a bike with a little bit more power. (The 09 yz450f is a little bit tame for a 450 imo) And yes, as my first post stated, I do have suspension as well!

• grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2009 - 12:23 PM

... do you guys think having mods on (Stewart's) bike improve his lap times?

Of course they do. Otherwise they wouldn't bother. Just because he's faster than us in a blue wheelbarrow doesn't mean he has nothing to gain from the right mods.

I don't have the speed, but I believe I could use a bike with a little bit more power. (The 09 yz450f is a little bit tame for a 450 imo)

Your original post specified modifications that would improve power and retain reliability, not a list of useless crap. That's why I made the recommendations that I did. The list of magic feathers and fishing lures you can get for the bike is endless, but none of it will do what you asked for.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 11, 2009 - 03:20 PM

Grey, what out of this list (besides 11 & 13) do you consider to be useless crap? IMO they are all EXCELLENT improvements to the stock counterparts and definitely add reliability and performance...
1. ASV's (not having to worry about ever having a broken lever definitely is a reliability improvement)
2. Hot Cams (haven't done this myself but have a few friends swear by it for a little hp boost, plus they have billet cores, so lighter more durable)
3. Boysen high flow water pump (anything that helps your bike run cooler is a longevity boost)
4. ZipTy magnetic oil filter cover / magnetic oil plugs (anything that helps your oil stay free of debris, will help your bike run smoother, last longer)
5. Scotts metal oil filter (just a given for people who maintain their bike regularly)
6. Hinson clutch (The thing I got the most crap for spending so much money on is the upgrade I love most about my bike, definitely gave it that magic clutch feel, will last longer than stock)
7. Scotts steering damper (haven't done this, people, including GR, swear by them...will be a future upgrade for sure)
8. Better sprockets/chain (given)
9. new tires (given)
10. Talon rims (actually the sweet setup is the talon carbon hubs, oversize spokes, excel rims, lighter + more durable than stock)
11. Billet case saver (stronger, lighter, way better looking than stock...just overpriced bling really)
12. ZipTy carb mod (not too pricey, performance gain, made my bike start easier, almost always first kick)
13. carbon fiber anything (looks better lasts longer than all the little plastic POS stock parts)

Yamahakid, maybe what you should've posted was:
"I want to waste some money and put some useless crap on my bike...Can you tell me what crap you feel are good products?"
Maybe then you would've got some reasonable input...lol

• grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2009 - 05:43 PM

I might counter that by asking what on that list will make the bike any faster, aside from possibly the cams (which arguably reduce reliability)?

The ASV's are nice, but add no speed. The Scotts filter and damper are great products, and I recommend both, but again, add no speed. The Hinson clutch falls into this category, too. Having owned one, they are very nice, and the hardware is more durable, but again they add no speed, and the boss is priced far beyond any practical gain it might provide.

The Zip-Ty filter cover is grossly over-priced. You can slip a magnet into the filter well for pennies.

8 & 9 are indeed givens. 11 & 13 are indeed, just bling for the most part. Frankly, so is the water pump kit, and the carb mod is much more useful on an '06 than an '09. The bike also doesn't really need the hub "upgrade".

But I wasn't talking about your list as much as some of the other suggestions. Don't be so touchy. :p

• FiremanKay

Posted April 12, 2009 - 05:25 AM

What about a port and polish. Heck if you got it to spend then I wouldnt worry so much about reliability, that is if you want to go much faster. Just got all out and have it rebuilt every now and then. Shoot go get a used 07 as a second bike and build it the same. Then you will have to bikes, while one is down you got the other one. I've seen guys with 3 and 4 bikes, but i dont see the point of this. Hey man, just throwing it out there.

• husqy360

Posted April 12, 2009 - 06:21 AM

:lol: hand guards rad guards and skid plate are my new parts for this upcoming sesson..:p

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.