tie-down failure - how common?

28 replies to this topic
  • Jekel

Posted March 01, 2003 - 05:26 PM

Last year i was using a trusty pair of tie downs, showing a little wear, and snap. No ratchet trouble or coming unhooked, just snapped the strap. This while crossing a creek slab. Got half the bike washed :) Any way, went and bought a cheap set to do for a while and snapped them going up the driveway. BAD omens. went back to ancra. Just eplace with any, any sign of wear.

• WR450F_4600FT

Posted March 08, 2003 - 03:48 PM

30 years with no problem like this. I have always used Ancra as long as I can remember and just changed to the MSR w/ soft ties attached, .due to them not having any Ancras in stock when I picked up the new one. They seem to be of the same quality and I really like the soft ties that are part of them. I also get new ones about once a year and use a fork support.

• John_H

Posted March 08, 2003 - 06:26 PM

I use the MSR's with the soft-ties attached. Easy on the bars and easy to unhook. Just compress the fork a little and slip the hook out of the tie. :)

• Dan_from_HB

Posted March 08, 2003 - 06:40 PM

YES IT DOES matter what kind you use. NEVER had a failure with Ancra cam tie downs in 30 years. I also never tie off the ends. It defeats the purpose of a good tie down. Webbing must be in good shape, and bike must be pulled down fairly tight, but they WILL hold every single time.
Dan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted March 09, 2003 - 03:44 AM

Another trick when halling 2 bikes side by side is to run a strap between the bars from one bike to the other and snug it up. It helps keep the bikes from swaying side to side.

I also tie a loop (like your shoelaces) right at the buckle between the metal buckel and the strap. That way when Its time to unload I just pull the end dangling and the knot comes out. This does 2 things. It locks the buckle and it takes care of the extra strap.

• RCannon

Posted March 09, 2003 - 04:44 AM

I use Ancra's. 4 per bike and I replace them after each season. It sound secessive, but the tie downs are not expensive compared to the bikes.

My dad used chains and chain binders. They never failed. I did not like the scratches these would cause, but I think these were the best. They loked like something from an S & M video, I am told, but they worked!

• KiwiThumper

Posted March 09, 2003 - 01:02 PM

And just what video was that? :)

• Jim_Patterson

Posted March 09, 2003 - 02:49 PM

I always use a locking style hook.

• Burnrider

Posted March 09, 2003 - 03:14 PM

I have a question for all of you guys. Have any of you [or anyone you know] used carabiners instead of the hooks at the "bottom end" of your tie down straps? To eliminate the possibility of the hook extracting itself from your trailer?

Yes

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.